say ah fuckit

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by sculptor, Apr 6, 2017.

1. sculptor Valued Senior Member

say ah fuckit, crank the speakers, lean back, close your eyes
    and see

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DrKrettin Registered Senior Member

So that's the best is it? I'm afraid I couldn't stand more than 3 minutes of unimaginative repetition of a bar of notes, but there's no accounting for taste. By the way, I don't suppose there is any evidence that the Celts actually had music like that, or any music at all?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. iceaura Valued Senior Member

It's true there is no evidence of the Celts having had any music whatsoever, and careful scientists conclude that the 30 thousand or so dance tunes and airs and piebrochs and so forth, the dances that accompany them, the various pipes and whistles and harps and drums peculiar to them before the fiddle and flute came along, and the languages involved in the lyrics sung, were brought to the Celts by Oliver Cromwell - an Englishman who brought some measure of civilization to the benighted population of the hinterlands of Britain between 1650 and 1656, at the same time cleansing them of Celtishness and teaching such simple and unimaginative bars of notes as the mental capacities of the typical former Celt was capable of reproducing.

Men such as this, for example, proved capable of rising above their Celtishness and carrying on Cromwell's benevolently established cultural improvements, despite being unable to speak English: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turlough_O'Carolan

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    Jeeves likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Except for all the evidence. Why do you keep making these bullshit assertions? Do you really think the Celts made all these musical instruments not knowing what to do with them?

By the way, DrKrettin never said the Celts had no music. I suggest you read what he posted.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Celtic_music

8. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Okay.

Ah, fuck it.

9. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Name three ancient tribes - any size - that didn't have music. Now, consider the history of Celtic tribes and try to imagine them with the highly developed art, language and religion - but no music.
    Less interestingly, why would even ask such a question? Just because you don't like the style?
    One could say the same of all music from any continent, with the exception of Europe between 1700 and 1900. That's the anomaly.