Sandy Hook.

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Bebelina, Dec 15, 2012.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It wouldn't prevent shootings, although it could possibly end a shooting spree a little sooner. Also, the teachers with guns could be the ones going on a spree. Israeli society is different than the USA.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

So if I may speculate a little bit more around the reasons and connections around this event..

As many of you already I know I have strange ability to associate and make connections between the most unlikely things. I never do this to offend but if one follow a trail of seemingly random thoughts one might find a light at the end of the tunnel, metaphorically speaking.

The reason I also wondered if Adam Lanza could have been visiting sciforums, was because of the Hurricane Sandy thread, that for some reason got more than 15000 views. Hurricane Sandy- Sandy Hook- Grease- Olivia Newton John- Newtown ( the city where the massacre took place) - one of the children was named Olivia Engel- Angel etc.

Associations can go on forever. It would be interesting to know if anybody else think like this and have similar trail of thoughts, pointing in other directions perhaps.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

Easy to make such connections after the fact. There's always something you can tie into something else.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Yes, exactly. Do you have any more connections to add?

8. arauca Banned Banned

The mother was a law abiding citizen , but she had a son who did not have any respect to her , She raised him clothed him, provided him with all sort of gadgets and here comes the secular animal and kills who was feeding him

9. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

It might end them a lot sooner, plus there could be a deterent effect. Spree shooters prefer venues where they know they'll be the only one with a gun.

PS Thank you for changing your avatar!!!!!!

10. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

I don't think you get my point. Just like the word changing game, just like numerology, just like six degrees of separation, you can eventually make connections between unrelated things. That doesn't mean they had anything to do with each other.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

My Avatar was involuntarily removed with no notice.

Most spree shooters are suicidal, so I don't see how it would be a deterrent. If teachers were the target, they would just be taken out first. Shooters have the advantage of surprise.

12. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Maybe you should think more then.

I'm not saying they must have anything to do with eachother either, except for the made associations. But this way of thinking, breaking loose fron conventions, can bring unknown things to light. Like brainstorming.

So, do you have any associations of your own that comes to mind?

13. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Wow, talk about a self-fulfilling prophecy. The end is near, but we need to learn how to get along better, not how to fight each other.

15. Beryl WWAD What Would Athelwulf Do? Registered Senior Member

Regarding what (I think) was the original point of this thread, I would like to share this article: http://gawker.com/5968818/i-am-adam-lanzas-mother

I feel that it provides some perspective about the whole thing. Behind the huge, terrible tragedy of this event (and other events like it) there is a smaller tragedy: a human being who needed help and didn't get it. That is not to excuse what was done in any way, but does provide something of an answer as to why it happened and where our energy should be focused when it comes to preventing similar things in the future.

However,
    As you acknowledged, much easier said than done... research has indicated that predicting whether or not someone is dangerous is something that even highly trained psychologists usually can't do.

16. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

That's an excellent article! And I agree with Beyrl's observations completely.

The problem is NOT gun control - that's much like treating a headache caused by a tumor with aspirin while totally ignoring the tumor itself.

The root cause of ALL these violent attacks is clearly a mental disorder and that's what must be addressed to provide ANY degree of control or relief. It's equally clear that as a nation - and entire world, for that matter - that we've never developed the tools and methodologies for effectively detecting these people and treating them. And that HAS to change.

Oh, sure - sometimes the law and order system catches these individuals in some lesser offense and gives them some jail time and even sometimes may even treat them with drugs. But they are soon let loose back in society where their internal time bomb continues to tick until...

But look at us now. Following this tragedy, the president and other high elected officials are giving lip service yet again to GUN CONTROL and I've not heard a single word about addressing the real problem.

So today we just stand here - simply waiting for the next event...

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

We don't know if it was a mental disorder, or just a temporary circumstance that we are all subject to. Humans are violent, not just abnormal humans.

I don't think it will. For one thing, mental health is the last in a long list of things we fail to address as a country. Also, there might very well be no treatment or test to predict why someone will snap and kill a lot of people.

18. milkweed Valued Senior Member

19. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article15947100.ab

I don't know if you can grasp the idiocy in letting teachers have guns in the school. This is an article about a substitute teacher that today went amok and abused the principal and one student with a wrench at a school in Sweden. Imagine if he had been carrying a gun instead of a wrench.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Apparently, his mom wanted to move to college with him. I can't think of anything that would drive me crazier.

21. Beryl WWAD What Would Athelwulf Do? Registered Senior Member

That is very true - the mentally ill are no more likely to be dangerous than the average person. However, I think that in the case of mass shootings, the act itself is evidence of mental unwellness, regardless of whether the individual has been or even could be diagnosed with a specific established mental disorder.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yes, that is probably true.

23. Beryl WWAD What Would Athelwulf Do? Registered Senior Member

And while a bit of jail time may serve to remind a sane person of the unwisdom of their ways, it is more likely to just cause more damage in the already unwell psyche of a mentally ill person.