samurai

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by BLASTOFF, Mar 15, 2006.

1. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

indeed.

peace.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. water the sea Registered Senior Member

I mean no offence, but it seems to me you just wish to be perfect in every way. To have class and style in everything you do.

(So that people would get literally physically dizzy just standing next to you ...)

Is that it?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. water the sea Registered Senior Member

P.S. to Cole Grey:

As long as there is a lack of the inner discipline that brings calmness of mind, no matter what external facilities or conditions you have, they will never give you the feeling of joy and happiness that you are seeking. On the other hand, if you possess this inner quality of calmness of mind, a degree of stability within, then even if you lack various external facilities that you would normally consider necessary for happiness, it is still possible to live a happy and joyful life.

-His Holiness the Dalai Lama

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nameless Registered Senior Member

Or perhaps it is your interpertation of my words?

Exactly what is your beef here; my alleged view of something or it not 'agreeing' with your's? If (so called) 'discipline' is a vanity of yours, it is a natural reaction to attack me for exposing that bit of sensitive laundry to the light. Vanity is so delicate, isn't it? Perhaps the most 'vain' is the most macho, eh? Compensation?
    Drive an SUV?
    *__-

Love of piano is in one's 'nature', and one's 'nature' is, perhaps, what 'carries one' to any level. Love of piano is in another person's nature and a large CD collection might be also in that nature, never even considered playing. Still, no remarkable 'Will Power', just doing what comes 'naturally'.
    "A rock that boasts of rolling down-hill will be ridiculed." - Confucius

'Discipline' is a common cudgel to beat the skinny, the fat, the obviously 'different'.. "They have no 'discipline'.." (like I do!)
    Sick egoic judgemental crap that our 'delicately vain' brethren use to beat others with, thereby tenuously bolstering their own delusions of 'discipline' and weak ego. A cheap temporary fix. Remember the schoolyard bully?

It is my nature to be interested in certain things while it is in that same nature to learn about and master them. Others collect the CDs. Lots of 'natures' out here...
    If our nature is 100% our own 'creation', then, perhaps, you can speak of having 'discipline', of having 'Will'. But as it is composed of/by your entire 'environment' throughout your entire life, taking personal credit for it is a vain thing to do; as if you actually could be any other way than you are.

Just my opinion on the matter.
    You are not required to agree in order to understand what I am saying, just 'discipline' yourself and utilize a bit of thought, instead of auto-reject.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  8. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

Seishin-teki kyōyō (spiritual refinement)
    Taijutsu (unarmed combat)
    Ninja ken (sword fighting)
    Bōjutsu (stick and staff fighting)
    Shurikenjutsu (throwing blades)
    Sōjutsu (spear fighting)
    Naginatajutsu (halberd fighting)
    Kusarigama (chain and sickle weapon)
    Kayakujutsu (fire and explosives)
    Hensūjutsu (disguise and impersonation)
    Shinobi-iri (stealth and infiltration methods)
    Bajutsu (horsemanship)
    Sui-ren (training in water)
    Bōryaku (military strategy)
    Chōhō (espionage)
    Intonjutsu (escaping and concealment)
    Tenmon (meteorology)
    Chi-mon (geography)

that is the basic ninja teaching lay out (school schedual maybe)

Ninjutsu 忍術, also called shinobi no jutsu 忍び術, is a collection of techniques originally practiced for espionage purposes. It includes methods of gathering information, non-detection, avoidance, and misdirection techniques. Ninjutsu can also involve training in disguise, escape, concealment, archery, medicine, and explosives.

Practitioners of ninjutsu have been seen as assassins for hire, and have been associated in the public imagination with other activities which are considered criminal by modern standards. Even though it was influenced by Chinese spying techniques, ninjutsu is believed by its adherents to be of Japanese origin.

Although the popular view is that ninjutsu is the art of secrecy or stealth, actual practitioners consider it to mean the art of enduring - enduring all of life's hardships. The character nin carries both these meanings.

In the modern world the word ninjutsu usually refers to a certain system (Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu) of self defense. It is true that ninjutsu has a long and myth-filled history, but today almost anyone is allowed to practise ninjutsu. As one makes progress in ninjutsu the system gets more sophisticated, and one might realize that the system contains more than fighting skills. To avoid misunderstandings, "ninjutsu" should just refer to a specific branch of Japanese martial arts, unless it is being used in a historical sense.

9. perplexity Banned Banned

Nejka,
    with no offence meant, that sounds like sour grapes.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

For me to eschew the wish would be to defile those once loving and brave enough to be dizzy for me,
    nor shall I cease to wish for the delight anew,
    perchance to dream - ay, there's the rub

---- RH.

10. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

where in london are you from?

im in east london, hackney,

peace.

11. water the sea Registered Senior Member

It's not sour grapes. I think it's nice to wish to be perfect in every way -- I would know!! -- but it isn't realistic to strive for perfection in every imaginable aspect.
    To me, only some perfections are worth striving for, most of all, having a good heart.

12. perplexity Banned Banned

Please forgive but it had never crossed my mind that a pasage that began with "I mean no offence" should be construed as complimenting somebody for wishing to be nice.

How terribly foolish of me.

There is nothing in the World for you to be jealous of, is there, Nejka?

------ RH

13. water the sea Registered Senior Member

You apparently read a jealous tone into what I said.

I wasn't complimenting him. I in fact expected to be snubbed because of the supposition that he wishes to be perfect.
    Most people, when provoked flat out, asked "Do you wish to be perfect?", would not admit that they wish to be perfect; they see that as unrealistic, maybe even insane. "Of course nobody is perfect, it is an insane expectation!"

Yet in everyday life, we often *act* as if we should be perfect, and expect others to be perfect.

14. perplexity Banned Banned

So why then, Nejka do you expect so insanely?

When people are asked questions, as if by way of some sort of analysis, they sometimes like to know what the purpose of the question is, don't they?

Do you think that a matter of discipline it might be better to state your purpose up front?

Maybe then we'd not be so lost about it.

----- RH.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  15. water the sea Registered Senior Member

I'm sorry if communication on the forums seems incomplete.

Once knowing the posters also a bit in private, there is inside stuff, things that go without saying and so on.

I can't always account for all that.

16. perplexity Banned Banned

On the other side: Postcode TW45PH
    half way between the Thames and Heathrow.

Your postings are much better than the usual fare around here.

I shall look out for you.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

------ RH

17. perplexity Banned Banned

Do you see why I have called you a hypocrite?

While you'd seem to know something of discipline it is all a mess.

In the final analysis it is the example you set that matters.

Mindfulness.

------ RH.

18. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Yah.
    Pot, kettle, black.

19. perplexity Banned Banned

Justify.

Don't just poke; chop my head off. I can take it.

---- RH

20. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Ron,

I would consider it below me to continue talking to someone whom I deem a hypocrite and not good enough for me.
    Yet you do that: You deem me a hypocrite and not good enough for you, yet you keep talking to me.

Whatever happened to being the lone elephant in the forest??
    What example are you setting?

21. nameless Registered Senior Member

22. perplexity Banned Banned

I fear that the problem here is in your own inconsistency.

On the one hand you have written
    "I refuse to think my personality is fixed."
    albeit by my understanding "not good enough" is your own fixed idea of yourself,
    not a phrase that I had ever actually employed, and not the way that I think.
    You had already seen me write:

"For me now everything is flexible, impermanent, constantly changing and developing,
    for that way it is all so much more peaceful and painless."

Seriously, if you have some inconsistency on my part to point out be welcome to castigate for all you are worth,
    but if your present gist is yet again a spin doctoring of the long running nobody loves poor Nejka variety,
    you should know by now what to expect from here. The habit sucks and it is painfully tedious.

To be a wise and prudent friend perfection is not required; I am pleased enough to see progress.

Good communication is another matter.
    When messages are persistently misinterpreted or taken in bad faith,
    then there ceases to be a reason to send them.

It is not about who; it is about the skill, the language, the way it works or fails to work, the discipline.

And I am not by the way averse to your quest to analyse me or anything else, flawed or otherwise.
    I am averse to your resentment when I respond in kind, the hypocrisy.
    That is a bad deal and I want a better one.

Peace be with you.

---- Ron

23. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

I have wanted to engage in this discussion more, but I am working too much to even sleep enough.
    Perhaps that explains my "insane expectation", of wanting to be balanced, without bringing my higher level functioning halfway down to where my untended skills are. Twenty four hours in the day.
    Also, re:communication - I understood exactly what water was saying, so perhaps some people didn't, that's no reason to call her a bad communicator.

P.S. re- the classical pianist - I already said it, love of the piano isn't enough to make you a great pianist. You have to live and breathe it even at times when you want to just smash it to bits, or get away from it, i.e have discipline.