Salt and Slugs

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Orleander, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

why does salt hurt/kill slugs?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so salt water wouldn't kill them, just pure salt?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

There are plenty of sea slugs in the salty waters of the seas
    I am sure however that the slugs on the surface wouldn't be too happy to be in the sea either.

8. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Osmosis on Wiki

A sufficiently saline sloution would kill them just as readily as pure salt.

It's the same reason you don't put fresh water fish in salt water (or vice versa).

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Well actually you CAN put some fresh water fish in salt water, mollies for instance are used to dirty up a new salt water tank because they are cheep, hardy and VERY messy which forces the bacteria levels to rise. You just have to acclimatise them slowly

10. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Yes, I'm aware that there are some fresh water fish that you can put in a salt water, and some fish which are able to cope with large variations in salinity. However, as a general rule...

11. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

In a more subtly defined context on why is it exactly that salt water kills the fresh water fish ...

http://yarbroughlaw.com/Patent Projects/Everything you were taught is wrong.htm

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Pour some salt into your eyes and find out.

13. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Ouch! That hurts!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Yep. Another good example is salmon. They grow in fresh water until they migrate to salt water in the sea. And then they return from the salt water of the sea back to the fresh water to spawn.

And yet another example of the same sort of thing which also involves the variation in salinity you mentioned. Fish that spawn and begin their lives in saltwater marshes that get flooded with fresh water - greatly reducing the salinity every time there's a substantial rain in the area.

15. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Did you forget about those speedy land snails? They foam up real good when you add salt.

16. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Salt is a terribly painful death for slugs.
    They die in agony.
    But they deserve it.

17. wellwisher Banned Banned

If you want to see something similar to slugs/salt, spray the slugs with liquid ammonia. The slugs will melt into a puddle. Unlike salt which dehydrates the slugs, the annomia appear to alter the interactions between water and protein so the slug changes from semi-solid to a liquid.

18. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Yuk! Gag me with a spoon.

19. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

slugs don't deserve to die ... especially in agony. Just like vampires who must exist by biting into victims necks, not because of preference, but because of a will to live on and enjoy what life has to give. Or mosquitos for example...no one deserves a painful death.

20. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

How does anyone know what is painful to a bug or slug, seems to me it would take more of a brain to really suffer much pain. But what do I know?:shrug:

21. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

I bet the Gods say the same thing when they look down on people, oh what do they know such frail creatures of anything of life. Well every creatures exists to survive and procreate one way or another, pain is a way to tell the creature that something is going wrong and will lead to death much quicker than if it was by a natural cause.
    The reference is to the sea slug neuron: http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases/Feb04/Optical_recording.hrs.html
    And neurons are there to signal the slug to avoid damage, to avoid pain.

22. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Yes, but I think it's a mistake to equate their pain as the same way we suffer pain. Plants also try to avoid death, but no one complains of causing plants pain and suffering. When you take soap and wash your hands, do you even consider all those bacteria you are killing? Or do you assume they going down the drain fat and happy?

A slug or snail is a garden pest, and I have little sympathy for them and whatever kills them is okay with me.

23. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

No but the difference here is that we as consciouss being cause the death of other beings and take enjoyment from such practice. Thing is, a snail/slug in your garden is a pest and what kills them is okey in terms of morality. But taking pride in doing so is immoral in my sense. It is same with bacteria washed by soap, kill to survive. Do not kill for enjoyment, that is wrong.