S... E... T... I...

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by kmguru, Aug 12, 2001.

1. kmguru Staff Member

Does anybody know anything about how SETI works? I mean the technology to monitor radio signals? If we take a mirror image of our solar system and replicate at 15 light years from us but same distance from galactic center, can we recognize the signal from the morror earth?

Can we recognize it as an intelligent signal and not noise because various frequencies combine themselves to produce garbage rather than coherent signal? (like thousand people talking at the same time...we get a sound, but that sound does not have any meaning)

I am sure I am missing something here.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

If memory serves, a test that was performed to detect intelligent life on Earth failed. However, that was a good while ago, and since then the techniques have been refined. Projects like serendip, as I understand it, work on the assumption that signals are being deliberately sent for us to find; picking up random noise would be, as you say, much more difficult. However, I don't think they'd be impossible to detect. Things like frequency- and amplitude modulation would confer on the signals an aura of artificiality. I could be talking out of my arse, but I imagine that amongst the myriad signals coming from the planet every second of every day, there are bound to be a few that are obviously artificial.

The main difficulty, as I see it, is the signal strength. Unless an ET signal is beamed directly at Earth (or at least the solar system), it'd be ridiculously weak. Of course, the aricebo dish is pretty big, but it's still a difficult task.

Which, of course, is no reason not to do it. Check out http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu look for their science newsletters for information on how it works. Then download the client if you haven't done so already.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

I guess they look for patterns and other stuff. They gots lots of data and thats why i have the SETI screensaver that sorts through data that they have captured while your not using the comp

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Crisp Gone 4ever Registered Senior Member

Grin

Hi rde,

And does this surprise us ? Intelligent life... on earth ?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Bye!

Crisp

8. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

9. kmguru Staff Member

Has SETI been tested to 47 Ursae Majoris? where we found another solar system? Any news as to even a peep?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!