Rusted piece of machinery found on Mars

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by Magical Realist, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Ok..after all the false alerts about animals and idols and jelly donuts and big breasted women photographed on Mars, this one is really worth looking at. I don't agree it's a drone. It's too heavy and clunky for flight. It DOES look like a part of some sort of rotary device like a turbine. Plus it's very rusted, so it must have been there for awhile. What thinkest thou?

http://www.inquisitr.com/2539487/uf...t-shows-clear-evidence-of-intelligent-design/

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

How big is it?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kristoffer Giant Hyrax Valued Senior Member

So that's where I left my rear wheel.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Not sure..There's nothing in the photo to scale it against.

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Curious though... is there enough oxygen in the Martian atmosphere for rust (oxidation) to occur? Earth is roughly 20.946% O2... Mars is roughly 0.146% ... and the thickness of the atmosphere is less than 1% of Earths. Now, my molecular chemistry is a bit rusty, but I think there are ways for oxidation and oxidation-like effects to occur without oxygen... but that would mean that what we are looking at is not "rust".

9. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Kitt, you missed the discussion of this thread and it was lost to the hard drive crash.

The short version is that the existence of rust on Mars is not a controvertial subject. The existence of rust NOW does not require the existence of free oxygen NOW, it just requires that at some time there was free oxygen available to create it. And given that oxygen is the 3rd most plentiful element in the universe and most plentiful element on Mars, it is not shocking that some was once available to generate the rust.

Indeed, the fact that the object is rusted in an environment with almost no free oxygen means it CAN'T be artificial!

Given that most pictures of Mars, including this one, show little else except for rust, the invoking of rust by the OP as if it were part of the anomaly is just stupid.

10. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

And the discussion of how water, which is now known to exist on the planet, could react with carbon dioxide in the Martian atmosphere to rust iron albeit at a much slower pace than on Earth due to the thin nature of Martian atmosphere. As you point out, while Oxygen is the dominate gas in the Martin atmosphere, compared to Earth, there isn't much of it and that might not have always been the case. I think most astronomers now believe Mars was once a very Earth like planet before it lost its magnetic shield.

Russ_Watters likes this.
  11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Just out of curiosity, is this what ufo enthusiasm has fallen to, these days?

Why do we start at alien drone?

Why not start with the practical and obvious?

Oh. Right.

Once upon a time the fun part was actually trying to one-up each other with mundane explanations until we ran out of ideas.

I am a father, and this does not sound like my ufology.

And no, I won't bother with a meme generator.

12. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

And then there was the other part of the discussion which was also lost where most folks concluded it was just another rock. It looks like a rock, it's most likely just another rock.

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Just curious - I'm assuming that's a mistype?

From Wikipedia:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Perhaps he meant oxygen was the most plentiful element in Mars's atmosphere, since it accounts for more than 2/3 by mass.

15. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Yes I meant element. In the deleted material the chemical breakdown of the Martian atmosphere was discussed including the scarcity of free oxygen.

You could make this a lot simpler by restoring the deleted posts.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

That isn't something I have the ability to do - perhaps one of the Admins can? It may even fall to the owners directly, I'm not sure.

17. Kristoffer Giant Hyrax Valued Senior Member

All of the stuff posted when the server crashed got lost. Q-reeus managed to restore some lost posts, but only because he had saved the threads in question.