Russian wins Ms. World title

Discussion in 'World Events' started by cosmictraveler, Dec 14, 2008.

1. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I hate blonds, and emaciated ones don't garner my pity either.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

The BMI isn't slightly flawed. It's retarded bullshit. I'm 6'3" tall, weigh 212 pounds and in good shape, but the BMI says that I'm "overweight". :shrug:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Agreed. Out of those three the Indian girl looks best, imo.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

8. superstring01 Moderator

I agree. Skinny is grotesque. I mean, I don't necessarily want chunky, but there should be some flesh on those bones.

Who was Ms. India?

~String

9. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

As a very rough guide its fairly accurate, but there are many things which it doesn't take into consideration and generally should be ignored in favour of more accurate things. I think it's mostly just designed to get your average joe to take an interest in their own fat ass.

10. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Sam sometimes you should read these papers that you linked. First of all it says that until very recently eating disorders are rare and that a little fat is desirable in regards to 'plumpness'. It looks at Chinese women from Hong Kong (not a gage of Asian standards in general) and uses the HK pageant as a gage of what The study doesn't state a standard cultural expectation to remain thin, it states this:

"Until recently, eating disorders were reported to be rare among the Chinese. Lee, Ho, and Hsu (1993) reported that eating disorders were seldom encountered by clinicians in the 1970s and 1980s among the Chinese population in Hong Kong. A frequently used explanation for this rarity is that Chinese regard plumpness in females as desirable and attractive; hence the unpopularity of dieting behavior (Hsu & Lee, 1993). It also has been suggested that eating disorders among young women in Hong Kong have increased in recent years because younger generations have adopted Western standards of beauty through Westernization (Lee, 1993)."

"Although the Chinese preference for plump body figures for women has often been used to explain the low prevalence of eating disorders, the ideal Chinese woman’s body has never been examined empirically. It is unclear whether this ideal woman’s figure has gone through a slimming- down process similar to what has happened in the West."

"To document and quantify the ideal woman’s body figure among the Chinese in Hong Kong, the present study examined the data from the Miss Hong Kong Beauty Pag- eant from 1975–2000. The Miss Hong Kong Beauty Pageant was chosen over other beauty pageants in Hong Kong for several reasons. First, it is the firstCultural Expectations of Thinness 341 and most representative beauty pageant in Hong Kong, and winners of this pageant represent Hong Kong in the Miss Universe contest. Second, begin- ning in the 1990s, Hong Kong residents have been invited to vote directly for the Miss Hong Kong winners. Its results, therefore, directly reflect the stan- dards that the general public uses to judge feminine beauty. Moreover, a Miss Photogenic title is also awarded each year based on the votes of editors and photographers of popular magazines in Hong Kong. This title directly reflects what editors and photographers in Hong Kong think is beautiful, and they are the people who decide what to print in popular magazines to represent feminine beauty in Hong Kong."

AND THIS WAS THEIR CONCLUSION:

"The present study examined the ideal woman’s body figure among Chinese people in Hong Kong by analyzing the weight, height, BMI, and WHR data of the Miss Hong Kong Beauty Pageant contestants from 1975 to 2000. Re- sults reveal a downward trend for the yearly average BMI of contestants. This downward trend occurred because contestants’ height rose over the years, whereas their absolute weight remained relatively unchanged."

In the end they surmise:

"Findings of this study indicate that Chinese people in Hong Kong have long considered the ideal woman’s body to be relatively tall, slim, and curvaceous. "

In short the Marquis is correct and your own link doesn't say a damn thing about 'cultural standards' or 'expectations'.

Really I believe you just google, copy and paste without any bloody regard to content and context.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  11. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Beg to differ.

She looks sick, or maybe parasitized, to me (if she were my dog, I'd be taking her to the vet for worm pills) and that's not attractive at all.