Russiagate

Discussion in 'Politics' started by billvon, Mar 23, 2017.

1. iceaura Valued Senior Member

And another, with this guy: http://www.salon.com/2017/05/10/hen...se-surprises-media-with-oval-office-photo-op/

Because nothing says "I am not a crook" with more resonance than Henry Kissinger's endorsement.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CptBork Valued Senior Member

So who on Earth were the Soviets talking about whenever they threw around the name "Comrade Stalin?"

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. timojin Valued Senior Member

I don't care what you read my experience among Russian in my time was tovarishch and I would believe for Russian at that time it would an insult using a German noun. Among Soviets directing yourself to an officer as a comarade would not be very appropriate.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Wasn't something I read. I remember an old newsreel video showing a cute little girl welcoming him to the Bolshoi Ballet as "Comrade Stalin".

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Comrade is the likely just the English translation.

9. iceaura Valued Senior Member

10. timojin Valued Senior Member

If you heard it in Russian I would tell you you are lying , if you got the translation , so be it.
    She would say tovarishch Stalin.
    I am not sure in English you have that word , you do have " comradery

11. billvon Valued Senior Member

And yet they keep saying they have no ties to Russia. But only Russian media is allowed in. And his only schedule meeting that day was with a highly placed Russian official. And he got lots of Russian money for his golf courses.

And yet something like 30% of the country still supports him. Goes to show that there is no limit to how stupid and gullible people can be.

12. timojin Valued Senior Member

So is Trump seling 330 million of people to Putin ? Do we need them or they need us ?

13. billvon Valued Senior Member

I didn't know they were for sale. Besides, if Trump tried anything like that, he'd screw it up.

14. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

My information came from my upbringing on USAF SAC US "first strike" (AKA "Fail-safe") nuclear armed military bases. My dad came home from WW2 and married my mom so I missed out on Russian internment camps myself, sorry you had that experience. Instead, I got the whole 9 yards of US military indoctrination. Some of the 'news' film clips we had to watch had Russians speaking in English, referring to each other as "comrade". It became common knowledge in that time frame that Soviet citizens referred to each other in that manner, whether factual or not.

15. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Well, there is an old conspiracy theory I heard exactly once, about seventeen years ago while drinking with strangers in New Orleans—yes, really—arguing this is what our Social Security numbers are for, cataloging human beings as collateral on loans. Don't ask me to recite the whole thing; it was a long time ago and, well, you know, I didn't write all these down because I never expected their elevation to genuine political power.

Then again, I am surprised to discover this little glimmer of evidence suggesting my hopeful outlook on Americans and American society did, in fact, make it into the twenty-first century.

And it's true: I would like to think a whole lot of what is wrong with Am'r'ca is some manner of accident, but, no, it turns out the elevation of traitorous superstition to the White House not only requires more than a few bad seeds, but, you know, this is Am'r'ca, so of course we had the numbers.

16. timojin Valued Senior Member

You refer to an strangs as GOSPODIN, PRIYATEL, DRUJ, to a coworker , party member, officer TOVARISCH, if anything, Comrade could be something derogatory in Russian

17. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

#trumpswindle | #WhatTheyVotedFor

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Sixty-two million nine hundred eighty-four thousand, eight hundred twenty-five.

First, it was controversial because of the timing: Trump meeting with Russian officials the day after firing Comey looked ridiculous.

Then it was a little more controversial because American journalists were excluded.

Then it was a little more controversial because a journalist from a state-run media outlet in Russia wasn’t excluded.

Then it was a little more controversial because of the security risk.

Then it was a little more controversial because White House officials said Russia had “tricked” them.

Then it was a little more controversial because Lavrov brought along Ambassador Sergey Kislyak, a detail the White House readout neglected to mention, and something we only know because Russia acknowledged it. Kislyak, of course, is the official Michael Flynn talked to before he lied about it and got fired.

And then it was a little more controversial because the entire meeting happened at Vladimir Putin’s request, and Trump didn’t feel as if he could say no.

(Benen↱)

This is #WhatTheyVotedFor.

Remember, when all is said and done, there were sixty-two million nine hundred eighty-four thousand, eight hundred twenty-five who wanted this.

We might bear this in mind because, in the future, they might pretend to have something to say, but first we might oblige them to overcome the burden of explaining to us just why we should listen to them. And, you know, because they're Americans and they're pissed off and they have guns won't be good enough.

Sixty-two million nine hundred eighty-four thousand, eight hundred twenty-five of our American neighbors owe us an explanation for their deliberate betrayal of the United States of America.

No wonder so many people who argue the Trump party line want us to believe they didn't vote for him. You know, we didn't really believe that about the, "I'm not a racist, but", or, "I'm not a sexist but", people, either. When what comes after that "but" is the standard fare, we don't believe they're not part of it.

Does anyone remember the supremacist tossed salad bit? How the melting pot used to mean, to racists, that others should abandon their own cultural traditions and adopt white-Christian standards, and then the argument that white people were persecuted became popular so someone came up with this weird tossed salad metaphor that never made any sense, but left lettuce to be lettuce and the interloping tomatoes to be tomatoes, or some such?

I always loved the "I'm not racist but you're wrong about the melting pot, it's a tossed salad" argument; yeah, actually when you say that you probably are racist.

And the people who argue the Trump party line while pretending they didn't vote for him are also, in most cases, lying.

The simple fact is that as we look around for Trump voters to answer for their betrayal, it will be harder and harder to find actual Trump voters, but there will suddenly be plenty of, "I'm not a Trump voter", advocates complaining a party-line recitation about persecuting Trump voters by asking them to explain themselves.

You know, all they did was vote to sell their country to a foreign power, how dare anyone wonder.

So, who is going to stand up and defend the traitors?

Don't get me wrong, there can be a perfectly rational explanation for voting against the United States of America. There can be a perfectly rational explanation for for their enthusiastic, traitorous betrayal.

However, it should be stated that no, being too stupid to comprehend what you've done is not an excuse. Ignorance chosen is certainly not bliss. And, frankly, given the danger such general ignorance presents, neither is stupidity a proper excuse for what they've done.

But, seriously, they voted for a Puti-Poodle; I think the rest of us deserve an explanation—Dear Trump voters: Why did you betray your country?

Notes:

Benen, Steve. "Controversial Oval Office meeting was held at Putin's request". msnbc. 12 May 2017. msnbc.com. 14 May 2017. http://on.msnbc.com/2pLUWjO

18. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

#betrayal | #WhatTheyVotedFor

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Donald! what have ye done!

President Trump revealed highly classified information to the Russian foreign minister and ambassador in a White House meeting last week, according to current and former U.S. officials, who said Trump’s disclosures jeopardized a critical source of intelligence on the Islamic State.

The information the president relayed had been provided by a U.S. partner through an intelligence-sharing arrangement considered so sensitive that details have been withheld from allies and tightly restricted even within the U.S. government, officials said.

(Miller and Jaffe↱)

Sixty-two million nine hundred eighty-four thousand eight hundred twenty-five.

This betrayal of country and allies is brought to you by Donald Trump, his voters, and Republicans and conservatives from sea to shining sea—and beyond.

I'm a child of the Cold War; the idea that a Republican would betray the country unto the KGB is supposed to be unthinkable.

Sixty-two million nine hundred eighty-four thousand eight hundred twenty-five.

They have all betrayed their country, and have no excuse. The Trump administration verges on treason itself: This is #WhatTheyVotedFor.

Notes:

Miller, Greg and Greg Jaffe. "Trump revealed highly classified information to Russian foreign minister and ambassador". The Washington Post. 15 May 2017. WashingtonPost.com. 15 May 2017. http://wapo.st/2rjs3g7

19. billvon Valued Senior Member

Also puts a rest to yet another argument by Trump supporters.

"There was no Russian hacking of the election!" - Yes, there was; the NSA verified it. So did the FBI and the CIA.
    "Well, OK, but it's not like Trump got them to do it" - Trump asked the Russians publicly, during a speech, to "find the missing emails" - and told them that they would be rewarded if they did.
    "OK. But he didn't actually talk to Putin" - turns out he did.
    "But he didn't actually reward the Russians for hacking the election!" - He dropped sanctions against Russia as soon as he got into office. And now he is paying them by passing them classified US intelligence.

20. Capracus Valued Senior Member

Kiss my ring.

Comey Memo Says Trump Asked Him to End Flynn Investigation

President Trump asked the F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, to shut down the federal investigation into Mr. Trump’s former national security adviser, Michael T. Flynn, in an Oval Office meeting in February, according to a memo Mr. Comey wrote shortly after the meeting.

“I hope you can let this go,” the president told Mr. Comey, according to the memo.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/16/us/politics/james-comey-trump-flynn-russia-investigation.html

21. timojin Valued Senior Member

What would you guys want to do to this elected president ? would you want a new election ? and void the last years election ? Would you Accept the vice president, what do you want ?

22. Capracus Valued Senior Member

Let the impending impeachment process excise the corrupt actors in the current administration, and give the voters a crack at the lot in congress in 2018.

23. iceaura Valued Senior Member

After impeachment and conviction, we could sue him for the tens of millions in government monies paid to his businesses under false pretenses.