Running in the morning

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by apendrapew, Jan 22, 2006.

1. apendrapew Oral defecator Registered Senior Member

I just recently got a job doing database/web application programming, which entails a lot of time sitting at a desk staring at a computer monitor (45-50 hours per week). When I get out of work, the last thing I want to do is more work, but I've been learning a lot of people's solutions to that problem is that they work out in the morning. Gets the blood pumping and it wakes you up.

I'm a runner and I usually run 6 miles at a time and I know there are a lot of morning runners -- probably a few of you fit that description. It seems stupid to eat breakfast before running because as a runner, I know running on a full stomach sucks. Plus it's unhealthy jostling around globs of digesting food and bile around in your stomach for 50 minutes at a time.

But on the other hand, it also seems bad to not eat anything before you run in the morning because when you first wake up (assuming you've had 7-9 hours of sleep) your body glycogen stores are nearly completely depleted. When you go running, your body is going to catabolize fat and probably muscle for energy (especially if you're a distance runner like me).

My partial solution to this problem has been to drink orange juice 15 minutes or so before I run, to at least give it something to use.

Any morning runners out there? What's your solution?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2006
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. duendy Registered Senior Member

i dont run, but would till liketo offer advice........from experience of certain people i haveknown who were runners/joggers, what they told me put me off---ho i wasn't into joggin before

for example, a woman had to have extensve knee surgery brought on by excessive jogging. she spent years in pain after her cARTELIDGE WORE AWAY-----

anothr was tis dad of a ytoung man, who had been a jogger and ended up cripppled with arthritus

so,i recommend WALKING!....you can walk at different speeds for so and so amounts of time, AND still get te same health benefits, but more so as walking, espcailly on un-concreted surfaces--doesn't put as much pressure on the joints as running does

checkout some very slowed down film fottage of joggers limbs when they run. u can see the enormouspressure going on there

sometimes when you walk u feel so good you d sometimes spontanously run---say a short burst. well and good. but its when joggin becomes a religion. some people get caught up in it and dont feel right till they jog....

anyway thats it. take it or leave it. or both

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Anomalous Banned Banned

The juice will add to the acidity of your gastric juices that had accumulated over night, these acidic juices get absorbed furotiously on expending heavy energy, they are digesting your body, U r ageing very fast as a result. Keep it up

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I had a job like that in the summer and if F&#*#% sucked. The place was and had poor heating. I could feel myself slipping into suspended animation as the blood would stop circulating and my core temperature droped.

Morning yoga provided temporary relief but it was always the same story by the end of the day.

I'm a night runner, personally. And I've gone half marathon distances after gorging myself in the kitchen. Slowed, but didn't affect me.

Edit to add:
    If you're going to take up running, get a good pair of shoes... It's extremely important.

8. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I run. I run alot. See spot run. Run spot run.

I understand what you mean about running after eating. I remember spewing up my spaghetti bolognase at the end of my road after an evening run. I mainly run in the mornings now and I never used to eat anything. I used to drink about a litre of fruit juice then go for it. But I found that I ran out of energy quite fast. To counter this I started eating granola bars and having a pure fruit smoothie. These are light and tend not to make me feel green after 20 minutes.

For the longer runs I eat a Mars bar beforehand. I absolutely deteste Mars bars but they're great for offering a constant release of energy. I learnt that from a bunch of squaddies who always took a large quantity of them along for exercises.

For running, I find the shoes marketed towards runners to be useless. I've spent alot of money on what I've been told are 'decent' shoes to run in. From experience I have found that the best shoes I've ever had for running are my Magnum patrol boots. I even ran a charity mountain run in them they were so good. And at about £50 they'll last you years. I've had mine since I was in secondary school doing my GCSEs and I still wear them almost daily some 5 years later.

Walking does not offer the same muslce build up as running. Walking uses different muscles in the leg. I found this out the hard way as I used to walk about 10-20miles a day just to get to college/work. Then I started running and I was in no shape at all to do so. It's the same with cycling. They each use different parts of the leg to move you forwards.

9. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

I don't do any of it in the morning, and I don't jog much. I probably should jog though, it would probably help me sleep. anyway, what about swimming? if you have access to a pool, that would probably solve the problem of impact, and still build your endurance.

10. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

i jog at 5 am 5 mornings per week, sommetime my training differs so its not always 5, it depends on the current training patterns i am doing at what time of the year,

sometimes i dont jog atall, just speed walk with my arms out to mmy sides for 30 mins, or jog with wrist,body, annd ankle weights on, i like to mix up my training but always keep training consistant for periods of time or you dont truley benefit, i am a personal trainer and part time self defence instructor, so i get plenty of training even if i miss going jogging a few nights per week, i train about 8+ hours per day i would round it up on a mean average,

jogging is an essential part to any workout plan for any sport figting style or general fitness order, cardio training is key to any kind of stamina,

peace,

11. Rick Valued Senior Member

Most of ppl who have replied arent honestly advising anything to you.Being extremely fit person, i can offer certain advise only if you tell me your exact vitals; heres wht i need :

1.)Your Height,Weight,Waist Size
    2.)Whts your GOAL (MOST IMPORTANT) :-> do you wanna just jog to get movin, or do you plan on loosing weight? or do you wanna start lifting weights? or you just wanna have fun in the mornin?

Your comment on having a breakfast before running, is from my personal experience wrong because of lot of reasons, give me your vitals and stuff i asked and i"ll get back to reply to you.

Oh and in case you wanna talk in a better way, reach me at xxfmulderxx which is my AIM id.

Later
    Rick

12. apendrapew Oral defecator Registered Senior Member

Duendy, you're right. Running is killer on the joints. People who run a lot for extended amounts of time invariably develop injuries. That's why I only run on the weekends, for a total of 12 miles per week. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me. But, I love running. There's no way I'm going to quit.

Thor:

How much do you run? I don't run a lot nor do I take it very seriously. I just do it for fun and to keep my heart healthy. It's remarkable how much a little bit of running will do. I only run about 12 miles per week (on the weekends (6 miles Sat, 6 on Sun)) and my resting heart rate is about 44 BPM.

Height: 6',1"
    Waist: 33 inches
    Weight: 190 lbs

Goal: Just to stay fit and keep a low heart rate. I'm fine with my weight. I'm actually overweight, by BMI, but that's because I lift weights.

13. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Hey dude

I run too much I'm afraid. I'm training for the military (waiting for the applications to go through) so I guess my viewpoint may be a bit heavy. But what I have said holds alot of truth.

Not alot of people today take exercising seriously and it's a joy to find someone who just wants to do it simply to wake themselves up. I'm sick of people who just sit around all day doing nothing and complaining about getting fat. You understand that your job won't allow you to put these muscles into use and want to keep them active. I admire that alot. It's a quality missing from most of society. 12 miles a week is damned decent. Even though it's just on the weekend, you can spend the rest of the week at the desk recuperating so your legs can be stronger for next time.

Keep it up bud, and if I may advise something; if the cahnce to enter a charity run comes up - do it. It will give you an amazing sense of achievement and will show you how you measure up against other people.

14. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

no it all depends on conditioning and gradual building up of the bones muscles tendons sinews organs etc,

if you do it correctly it does no harm whatsoever, if you study sports science indepth you will understand the benefits from correct training methods,

peace

15. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

i feel the same way, but taking that kind of approach to non disciplined, non military civilians wont work, negative attitude when in free will wont work, because they will have a natural reaction of hating it more,

if people dont train then they will lose out in the long run, and there partners and children, no one else.

its a shame peace,

16. Roman Banned Banned

I hate running on a full gut, or really doing anything aerobic full of food. You could always eat a light breakfast high in carbs. Toast with butter and honey maybe. Snickers bars work just as well as mars bars, as far as lots of calories go. Pretty much any of those candy bars make excellent fuels sources. Just make sur eyou eat a real meal afterwards or you'll crash.

The down side to eating lots of sugar for energy is the dependency that develops. I used to never have cravings for sweets, but after a summer of living off of pringles and candybars, I've got a serious sweet tooth now.

17. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

yeah cardio trqining shouldent really be done fight after eating alot of food,
    i always eat a good meal at about 7-8 AM after jogging/morning training (wich i just did) its 6 am here now,

peace