Rule against insults

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by James R, May 28, 2008.

?

Posts that contain personal attacks or insults directed at other members of sciforums

Poll closed Jun 4, 2008.
  1. Should always be deleted outright.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Should always be edited to remove all insults.

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. Should either be deleted or edited to remove insults, according to moderator discretion.

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Should be deleted, edited or left standing, at moderator discretion.

14 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Should be left standing, or edited, at moderator discretion, but never deleted.

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  6. Should be left alone, and a warning sent to the poster concerned. Too many warnings means a ban.

12 vote(s)
    21.4%
  7. Should be moved to the Cesspool, and the poster warned.

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  8. Should be moved to the Cesspool, but otherwise remain unedited (no further action).

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Should always be left alone (i.e. no rule against personal attacks or insults).

14 vote(s)
    25.0%
  10. Should be encouraged. There aren't enough insults and attacks here!

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  11. No opinion/don't care/don't want to vote/other (see comment in thread).

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

What does that mean you cryptic witch of the east? What's got you sniffing about?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I always find it amusing when women in a hijab criticise the looks of a woman who prefers not to conceal her faults. Don't you?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Sometimes, it depends how funny the looks of the woman without the hijab are.
    You know, very funny looks - very amusing criticisms.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Tee hee

/giggles in hijab

8. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

10. draqon Banned Banned

Dr Lou post picture of yourself

11. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Actually, the "Insults are bad" people can form a coalition and demand a runoff. Would that make you happy?

12. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Well, at least we have clarified whether or not this poll will actually influence reality...

Ummmmm.... Why bother?

13. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I would like to think that sciforums admin staff would listen to reason... But I doubt it.

14. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

"....we pretend to be constucting edifices of impartial thought, when actually we are selecting only such acts and agreements as will give dignity to some personal or patriotic wish."

Will Durant, The Pleasures of Philosophy.

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

In surport of bens post i request that a new poll be established with only 2 options

1) No action should be taken

2) action should be taken

16. draqon Banned Banned

2 is the choice. Make that poll Mr. Asguard.

Break down that wall Mr. Gorbachev, Russian traitor

17. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

So would I, but I am but a noob...

However, this comment seemed so egregious that I couldn't refrain from commenting...

What is the purpose of this poll anyway?

Are we users to anticipate that something, anything, will change predicated on the outcome? I don't know, is this a democracy? Someone enlighten me...

18. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

James would appear to have been curious.

Things always change. But what, when, and why are up for grabs.

This isn't really a democracy. It's been found that most users of this site are rather apathetic when it comes to governance. They generally only get involved when they feel personally slighted.

However, public opinion, I'm sure, will have some sway when it comes to decisions on whether or not to step in in any particular situation. I doubt that Sciforums will ever be a complete free-for-all though. It'll likely continue the same course it's been on since I joined: haphazard enforcement that sometimes seems capricious but is perhaps not so random when considered in context.
    Perhaps.

Personally, I agree with Lou somewhat. Although I believe that sometimes flaming can get carried away, I do think that a more lax attitude on insulting behavior might well work to increase the intellectual profile of the site.
    Insults could be punished for being moronic (e.g. "You stupid cunt!") and overlooked when more witty. Especially if the posts still manage to stay on topic and to further the topic.

Too often these days a thread gets hijacked by niceness rather than flaming. Flaming tends to keep people focuses whereas niceness leaves people all warm and cozy and half-sleeping.

19. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

My invert_nexus, you do get around. I am sure, though, that it is totally coincidental that we happen to be communicating on two seperate threads at the exact same time...

On a, I hope, relevant note...

Yes, it would appear that James is curious. That answers my question, this is simply an exercise. I was just wondering. I was also wondering if the outcome of the poll would have any bearing on the way the site is run (and again, I am a noobe, so I am just curious)

I stand enlightened by your response.

Thank you for clarifying the situation. Certainly, this is the most "open" site I have ever posted on. Compared to other places, your willingness to consider your user's viewpoints is extremely refreshing. I anticipate a long and healthy life here...

TTYL

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Randwolf:

Polls like this can and do influence decision-making. They do not determine it. There is a difference.

In this thread, I clearly asked for opinions. I have not put forward any proposed policy changes for a vote. If I choose to do that, I will be quite clear as to the intent, and whether the vote will bind the administration.

21. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Thanks James_R, and I apologize for overlooking your earlier post...

Also, it is good to know that the polls here might actually influence things!

Thanks again!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.