RSC offers $1600 to solve an age old problem.

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by Electro522, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Electro522 Registered Senior Member

http://www.rsc.org/AboutUs/News/PressReleases/2012/mpemba-effect-water-ice-hot.asp

This is interesting. Before I read this, I did not know that hot water freezes faster than cold water. Supposedly, this has baffeled scientists for hundreds of years, even Aristotle tried to figure it out. And now, the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) is offering $1600 in order to figure it out.

And, just in order to get some ideas going, Ill post one of my own. Obviously, we have to go down to the molecular (and possibly atomic level) in order to figure it out. We all know that once something becomes heated, the molecules become excited and start to move around more. Whereas, when something is cold, the molecules start to slow down. Perhaps, the excited molecules use up energy quicker when excited, thus, when exposed to cold, the molecules would slow down quicker.

I know that there could be some problems with this, but it is the only thing I can think of. Hopefully, some of you out there could put up other and possibly better ideas?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. pingguo002 Registered Senior Member

Ordinary water has ions
    H2O =-OH + H
    Heated, molecular motion acceleration, the ion number more
    After cooling,-OH and H, the power of crystallization effects or acid-base reaction
    Accelerate the crystallization
    Test methods, added to the water reference electrodes, metal electrodes to measure current, voltage change
    I guess

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.