Romantic attraction towards other races influenced by ideological beliefs

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Plazma Inferno!, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

The research conducted by James E. Brooks of Tennessee State University and Helen A. Neville of University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, suggests that our romantic attraction towards people of other races can be influenced by our ideological beliefs.
    The study found that young white men who endorse a “color-blind” ideology tend to be less attracted to black women compared to white men who don’t endorse such beliefs. But young white and black men who endorse multiculturalism tend to be more attracted to women of another race compared to those who don’t endorse multiculturalism.

http://www.psypost.org/2016/01/whit...-less-attracted-black-women-study-finds-40411

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Interesting.

The authors define a "color-blind" ideology as one that says that race is not important so we should ignore it. Multiculturalism, on the other hand, is defined as an ideology which recognises racial differences but actively values that diversity.

Plazma Inferno! and sideshowbob like this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Westermarck and others suggest another reason: protecting the community's gene pool from the perils of inbreeding.

The Westermarck Effect is the result of a study done in certain kibbutzes in Israel. All of the institution's children resided together in large groups during the week, to give their parents time to recuperate from their hard work on the farm. Only on weekends did they spend time with their parents. Westermarck followed these children into adulthood and made an amazing observation: children who had been raised together as a family, even if they were not closely related, almost never married each other.

We seem to have a hard-wired taboo against inbreeding. Evidence of Paleolithic life indicates that tribes held summer festivals, at which one of the most popular activities was copulation with strangers. This helped to "keep the gene pool chlorinated," as the saying goes.

This instinct is still strong. During the era of slavery in the USA, slaveowners routinely had sex with their captives, in many cases treating the resulting children as family members, sending them to school in Europe were dark skin did not have the onus it had here.

Even today, how many of us feel an attraction to movie stars and other entertainers who look considerably different from us? We call them "exotic."

The human gene pool has obviously been stirred constantly over the millennia. Other than genetic traits that support survival, such as melanin to block sunburn in equatorial regions, or lactose tolerance in regions whose primary source of nutrition is milk, human DNA tends to be a remarkable hodgepodge. As one geneticist put it, the difference in DNA between a human from Norway and one from Indonesia is LESS than between a Maltese dog and a French poodle.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Young adult males may hide behind any convenient facade, explanation, or political fellowship in those less independent, vulnerable years. To avoid potential ostracism and negative interactions with a community's or campus's policing of the local body of beliefs. But that aside, when men in the presumed "color-blind" camp do marry outside their own socio-genetic "category", it often seems [in everyday, non-lab observations] more due to personal reasons rather than any general, non-contingent motivations and influences falling out of contemporary propaganda / ideological indoctrination [multiculturism, etc].

As one example, a distant in-law told me that he sought his Filipino bride because he believed she was more "traditional" (tending to allow the male to be head of the household or something, I assume he meant by that). Without mentioning any Asian / Pacific stereotype at play that he was slotting her in. Last time hubby and I spoke with them, it already sounded like she had amply deprogrammed him from that particular delusion of atavistic patriarchy, regardless of whether or not it had indeed been specific to just her or was broadly a covert ethnic abstraction on his part.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    Plazma Inferno! likes this.
  8. timojin Valued Senior Member

I am Caucasian . I was married with an American caucasian was typical of equal rights woman . My present Filipina wife is a typical mother housewife type but she does not dominate me as the Caucasian equal right wife. So I dint understand what do you mean by deprogramming.

9. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Perhaps your confusion stems from you assuming that "Because my _X_ wife is like that all _X_ women are therefore like that." And you assume via two-value reasoning or a "there cannot be a degrees in between" output for a conclusion-making process that "Because he's not wholly dominating her in the marriage it therefore means she is wholly dominating him."

Despite living sensory-wise in an empirical world of particulars, humans are enslaved thought-wise to identifying and understanding what they're perceiving in terms of concepts and classifications (there may be no choice). But in turn they inevitably / historically reify their generalized tools of interpretation / apprehension as either abstract entities literally bouncing around "out there" with the concrete objects or find it necessary to posit a parallel or next-in-rank intellectual world.

10. timojin Valued Senior Member

I believe the environment molds the character of persons,. A society where there is a 50 % divorce , as for me it says selfishness is a strong part of character of a domineering woman .

11. Edont Knoff Registered Senior Member

Interesting. So far I had been told that the attractiveness of partners from other races stems from hidden biologic benefits, that mixing genes from populations afar has a better chance to produce healthy and survival-fit offspring, and thus genes which trigger romantic affection to partners of other races have had a slight advantage in evolution - as opposed to the influence of culture, which very often tried to keep marriages inside a certain group.