Rights and Ethics of a Clone

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Pit, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Pit JAADD Registered Senior Member

If a human clone were to be made (by this I mean a full human that was born via a surrogate mother but otherwise like a normal person, created for the purpose of having a child and not organ harvesting) what rights would they have? Would he have free schooling and human rights? Or could they be caged and fought in an arena?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

It depends. Would they be let out in the real world, or kept in a labratory?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pit JAADD Registered Senior Member

Let's assume that everyone knows that it's a clone.
    As to your question, what's your opinion?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

If it's let out into the real world then it would need rights. Especially if it's sole purpose is to reproduce. If it's not let into the real world and kept in a lab, I would assume it would be "protected", but have no rights.

8. Pit JAADD Registered Senior Member

Not really. We're assuming that whomever created him wanted a child but couldn't find another one to have him with. So he'd be let out into the world. But slaves go out into the world. And what rights have they?
    But I mean in general. If a new law was drafted that dealt with the basic rights of clones, what do you think it should say?

9. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

I don't really know. What rights would a clone need?

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I think we could run into problems with DNA as it relates to prosecutions for crime. If two people have the same DNA, how can we ever convict someone on the basis of DNA evidence?

11. Pit JAADD Registered Senior Member

Fine. What rights do you need? I suppose we can just throw away habeas corpus, everything in the first amendment, and I can finally use that mid evil stretcher thats gathering dust since you don't need protection from cruel and unusual punishment! Yippee!
    Since the clone is a human then maybe human rights?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  12. Pit JAADD Registered Senior Member

We have twins already, yet we still use DNA evidence. But probably much less than in your CSI-fueled imagination

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

A human being would have every right of a human being. I think there are laws against genetic discrimination.

14. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

But is it to be consdered a human?

15. Pit JAADD Registered Senior Member

If it's a human clone, it would be genetically identical to the original, which would be a human, so yes

16. brennus Registered Member

Kinda makes me wonder what's the difference?

17. Pit JAADD Registered Senior Member

One would be a clone and much younger, while one would be normal, older, and created in the usual way.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Clones could be the same age, you can clone an embryo.

19. Pit JAADD Registered Senior Member

yes, but we're assuming that a fully grown adult has cloned himself

20. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

If it's physically human, mentally human, and wants to have a life and avoid being hurt as humans usually do, I think we should protect it like a human.

21. Pit JAADD Registered Senior Member

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  22. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

It would be categorically racism if we didn't allow certain rights (such as schooling and human rights) for capable brains. Our education system or human rights can not select creatures according to the identity of their DNA. We create capable brains through natural reproduction, and there is no difference if we create them through artificial methods. Forget about clones, this creature could be a robot, an android, or anything else.

If we once start to discriminate based on the identity (such as clone), nobody can guarantee for further discrimination. It's unethical, as much as a dangerous path.

23. Pit JAADD Registered Senior Member

Maybe. But for a robot, when can we say it has rights?
    The laptop I'm typing on now can recognize my speech for input. With a program, it can read things to me. When is it intelligent?
    Interesting point.
    Also, if cloning becomes commercially available, how much should the government intervene? Since there is human rights, they would need to be registered with the government and get a birth certificate.