Right Vs Good

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Asguard, Feb 24, 2002.

1. justagirl Registered Senior Member

quote by Asguard

I think the difference between a belief and an opinion would just have to be the stregth of the "belief in the corectness of the oppinion" that would satisfy both Moral, Religouse and Scientific usage i think

I agree with you and find that a well thought out sentance. Sadly. most people allow their personal opinion to interfere with their thought process and look at things from their persepctive and not the perspective of others for the common good.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2002
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. matticiousg Registered Member

I think that definition is too limited. For example, people comonly use good to describe in animate objects as well. "This is a good chair." Of course morality doesn't apply to the chair because:
    A. It doesn't have the capacity of thought.
    and
    B. It cannot perform any actions.
    Yet still I consider this chair to be a good chair. In other words I find certain things about this chair appealing so I label it good. In the same sense I find morality appealing so I label it good as well.

Note: I think substituting appealing for favorable makes for a better definition so I'll use that instead.

Woops sorry Meniscus for some reason I didn't notice you made the same point earlier, only simpler.
    Needless to say I agree with you.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Right is about being correct but it also depends on the context.
    Consider the following sentence:
    "I want to kill that guy."
    It could be considered right if the speaker of the sentence was telling the truth. But it can also be considered not right in a moral context.

I'm not sure I get your meaning about that. But it brings up a thought. People can have a belief in something but not an oppinion in something. I don't know if that has any relevance but it makes me think that I had it backwards and oppinions are really a subset of belief based on strength of opinion.

-Matt

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. justagirl Registered Senior Member

wondering if you would give an example of someone having a "belief" without holding a personal opinion on that belief

8. matticiousg Registered Member

That's a really good point. *Sigh* I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

ok let me put it clearly

Scientific (and general) usage:
    i have the opinion that the earth revolves around the sun
    i have the Belief that the earth revolves around the sun

Moral usage:
    I am of the opinion that killing is wrong
    I belive that killing is wrong

Religouse usage:
    My opinion is that God loves us all
    I belive that god loves all of us

which of those sentance is stronger?
    the belief sentances so the difference between a belief and an opinion is the streagth of YOUR BELIEF IN THE OPINION

(hope that makes it clearer)

10. justagirl Registered Senior Member

quote...People can have a belief in something but not an oppinion in something

quote....wondering if you would give an example of someone having a "belief" without holding a personal opinion on that belief

answer....ok let me put it clearly

Scientific (and general) usage:
    i have the opinion that the earth revolves around the sun
    i have the Belief that the earth revolves around the sun

Moral usage:
    I am of the opinion that killing is wrong
    I belive that killing is wrong

Religouse usage:
    My opinion is that God loves us all
    I belive that god loves all of us

If you have the belief that the earth rotates around the sun then you also have the personal opinion that it rotates around the sun.
    The same can be said for "God loves us all". If you don't believe God loves us all then your personal opinion would be how you did believe. see my point??While I am not saying "yet" it is impossible to have a belief in something without a personal opinion.. you still haven't shown an example of it as all of your examples had the same belief and opinion.

11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

That wasn't me
    Thats NOT what i was answering that post came WHILE i was anwering the other one
    please read the last sentace of my post
    i was trying to re-state the post that you quoted me on because matticiousg didn't seem to understand what i ment