Reversing Aging with Stem Cells

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by elte, Dec 25, 2012.

1. elte Valued Senior Member

To make an old person young again seems to require replacing the old DNA in the body with DNA that hasn't been damaged over the years.

Is there a source of young DNA from a specially protected area of an old person's body that might be usable? This DNA would either have to already exist in stem cells, or be placed into some. Then these stem cells would be introduced into the old person's body.

Otherwise, how about the possibility of using young-DNA stem cells from any young human source? In this case, the immune system would have to be modified so it will allow the cells from two separate human bodies to live. I think something like this has been done to an extent already, but the exact story about the resulting chimera eludes my memory.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. elte Valued Senior Member

I've seen advertisements for a product that is supposed to revitalize the body by enhancing the dividing activity of the adult stem cells in the body. Even if that product does what it is said to do, the agedness of the adult stem cell DNA means that each new generation of new cells tends to be more decrepit than the previous and the effect is that the person could get an immediate health boost, but at the expense of later life health.

A better approach could involve figuring out what the DNA was like early on, before much deterioration had occurred. That would be used as a reference and processes would be done on selected cells to repair the DNA, restoring it to it's youthful condition. Then stem cells containing this repaired DNA would be infused into the body.

Research on inserting sections of DNA into a chromosome has made some apparent progress. Good sections of DNA would be inserted where damaged sections have been snipped out.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/130107183237.htm

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dave_Mebo Registered Member

Yeah, I've been seeing that to Elte. I have some high hopes for that technique.

There's also some promising research being done in China by a doctor named Rongxiang Xu. The method that he is working on is supposed to use nutrients to induce stem cells from somatic cells. The reaction actually happens inside the body.

I don't remember where I was reading it, but someone had floated the idea that this could even be used for anti-aging applications (ie a pill).

By the way, I'd love for you to check out a thread I put up regarding Embryonic stem cells, I'd love to hear your opinion.

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread...on-embryonic-stem-cells&p=3044958#post3044958

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.