Revenge Movies

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by KilljoyKlown, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

The Rock(1996) R

When a disgruntled ex-Marine (Ed Harris) seizes Alcatraz prison, taking hostages and threatening to blanket San Francisco with nerve gas, the feds send in a strike force led by a chemical-weapons expert (Nicolas Cage) and an ex-con (Sean Connery) who broke out of "the Rock" years earlier. Cage and Connery won an MTV Movie Award for Best On-Screen Duo in this pumped-up action-thriller from crowd-pleasing director Michael Bay.

Genre: Action & Adventure, Action Thrillers, Military Action & Adventure

This movie is: Exciting
    =============================================

Seen this one and gave it 4 out of 5 stars. Never really thought of it as a revenge movie though.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I spit on your grave was my first choice, but I see you've already seen that one. Death Wish also fits the bill.

Here's a good one, much more light hearted and less violent than all the rest, but still an excellent movie: The Princess Bride. It's a comedy but one of the subplots is about a man (Inigo Montoya) seeking revenge for the murder of his father by a six fingered man. He trains for decades in order to make himself a master swordsman until one day he finally confronts his father's murderer. As he has planned for decades, he says, "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die...."

Another good one, more in keeping with the rest in this thread, is Cape Fear (the original and the remake).

Another great movie is True Romance. It's not really a revenge movie, but it's got the best Mexican stand off ever and I'll bet you'll like it.

Also, Raw Deal, The Running Man, and Collateral Damage (all starring Arnold Schwarzenegger).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

If you haven't seen the 2010 version of I Spit on Your Grave, it has a whole new set of revenge killings and you get one extra bad guy that needs killing and the girl is extra nice.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Also I don't think there's any Arnold Schwarzenegger movies I haven't seen many times. He's in my top 10 best actors list.

8. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Did I say top 10, I must have lied because I started to make a list of my favorite male actors and it started getting long. Let me just say if you want to recommend anything don't include anything with the following actors, because I've already seen it.

Arnold Schwarzenegger
    Steven Seagal
    Jean-Claude Van Damme
    Bruce Willis
    Vin Diesel
    Will Smith
    Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson
    Nicolas Cage
    Kiefer Sutherland
    John Travolta
    Jason Statham
    Denzel Washington
    Tom Cruise
    Charles Bronson
    Clint Eastwood
    Sylvester Stallone
    Mel Gibson

9. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

I liked the long version, and even though its a huge book I read it pretty quickly the first time round.
    But I have to admit that when I tried to reread it some years later I only fixated on the parts I really liked like Edmond Dantès education in the Château d'If with Abbé Faria.
    But when it got into that part about Valentine being poisoned by Madam de Villefort I started to yawn a bit.

10. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I just watched:

Red Hill

2010 R 97 minutes

After being shot on duty, police officer Shane Cooper (Ryan Kwanten) moves with his pregnant wife to the quiet Outback town of Red Hill, where surly sheriff Old Bill (Steve Bisley) is downright unfriendly and Shane's first day on the job turns into the worst day of his life. When killer Jimmy Conway (Tommy Lewis) escapes from jail and heads for Red Hill, the police try to track the skilled hunter, and Shane soon realizes something is very wrong.

Cast: Ryan Kwanten, Steve Bisley, Tommy Lewis, Claire van der Boom, Christopher Davis, Kevin Harrington, Richard Sutherland, Ken Radley, John Brumpton, Cliff Ellen

Director: Patrick Hughes

Genres: Action & Adventure, Foreign Movies, Thrillers, Action Thrillers, Crime Action & Adventure, Foreign Action & Adventure, Westerns, Foreign Thrillers, Australian Movies, Crime Thrillers

This movie is: Violent, Exciting, Gritty

It turned out to be one hell of a revenge movie. I would recommend it.

11. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Spielberg's - Duel (1971)

Not your average "revenge" flick, but the villain gets his in the end.

12. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Yes I remember that movie. It did a very good job of placing you in the drivers seat wondering what you would do if that situation were actually happening to you. I liked it very much.

13. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

What about "Léon" also known as "The Professional and Léon: The Professional"
    It stars Jean Reno as a mob hitman, Gary Oldman as a corrupt DEA agent, and a young Natalie Portman, in her feature film debut, as a 12-year-old girl who is taken in by the hitman after her family is murdered.

Jean Reno was the original "Victor the Cleaner" from the original "Nikita" 1990 Luc Besson directed it. It was a so-called French new wave film and I think there is a dubbed version, There was also an American version made and it suffered the usual lameification that American producers seem to insist on.

Really dude you're missing out on a hell of a lot of cool films by not wanting to read subtitles.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  14. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

It's in English and I gave it 5 out 5 stars in Netflix rating. I think I've seen it 3 times now.

Léon: The Professional (1994) R

Léon (Jean Reno), the top hit man in New York, has earned a rep as an effective "cleaner." But when his next-door neighbors are wiped out by a loose-cannon DEA agent (Gary Oldman), he becomes the unwilling custodian of 12-year-old Mathilda (Natalie Portman). Before long, Mathilda's thoughts turn to revenge, and she considers following in Léon's footsteps. Luc Besson directs this gritty and unflinching actioner.

Genre: Action & Adventure, Foreign Movies, Action Thrillers, Crime Action & Adventure, Foreign Action & Adventure, French Movies

This movie is: Violent, Exciting, Gritty, Quirky, Suspenseful

15. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

I recently watched "True Romance" again, Quentin Tarantino wrote the screen play and Tony Scott directed it. I wouldn't classify it as a revenge film per-say unless you consider that Christopher Walken character of Vincenzo Coccotti who is after Christian Slater's character for taking a bag full of drugs.

Christopher Walken I think has the stand out performance in this film, Vincenzo Coccotti has become some what of a fictional film mafia icon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincenzo_Coccotti

16. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Looks good, added it to my queue. Thanks

True Romance (1993) NR

In this darkly comic web of crime, murder and mayhem from writer Quentin Tarantino and director Tony Scott, novice prostitute Alabama Whitman (Patricia Arquette) and her lover, comic book store clerk Clarence Worley (Christian Slater), become a Bonnie and Clyde for the 1990s. When Clarence kills Alabama's pimp, the newlyweds ride off into the sunset -- with $5 million worth of cocaine in a suitcase and the police and the mob on their trail.

Genre: Action & Adventure, Independent Movies, Romantic Movies, Thrillers, Action Thrillers, Crime Action & Adventure, Independent Action & Adventure, Romantic Independent Movies, Independent Thrillers, Crime Thrillers

This movie is: Violent, Dark, Inspiring, Gritty, Raunchy, Suspenseful, Romantic

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

love love love this movie.LOVE it

How about Hard Candy
    . I thought it was really good. So many twists

18. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Looks good, added to my queue. Thanks

Hard Candy (2005) R

Ellen Page (Juno) stars in this suspenseful drama from director David Slade as Hayley, an intelligent teen who's got her own reasons for spending so much time with Geoff (Patrick Wilson), a much older man she met online. Even though Geoff is a charming, good-looking photographer, Hayley should know better than to go home with a guy in his early thirties -- especially since he might have ulterior motives.

Genre: Thrillers, Psychological Thrillers, Steamy Thrillers

This movie is: Controversial, Steamy, Gritty, Suspenseful

19. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

I really liked “Running Scared." It’s a 2006 film, that got mixed reviews. It suffers from a Hollywood ending that seems to have just been tacked on. And it’s obvious that the original director wasn’t responsible for it. In the scene before that lame ending most of the characters die in very poetic circumstances.
    That’s the real ending.

20. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I've seen it and even gave it 5 stars, however I like how you discribed the ending.

Running Scared (2006) R

Low-level mobster Joey Gazelle (Paul Walker) is tasked with disposing of a gun used to kill cops during a drug bust. But when it's stolen by his son's friend and used in another high-profile crime, Joey must find the gun quickly -- or pay the ultimate price. Along the way, he'll lock horns with the Russian mob and other dregs of society, which includes a corrupt police detective (Chazz Palminteri) who's hot on his trail.

Genre: Action & Adventure, Thrillers, Action Thrillers, Crime Action & Adventure, Crime Thrillers, Gangster Movies

This movie is: Violent, Suspenseful

21. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Well I just watched the following movie, and I hate to say it but it was a bit slow for my taste. Doesn't really live up to expectations of the write up.

Revenge

1990 UR 104 minutes

Tony Scott, director of Top Gun, delivers another tale of a fighter pilot and a dangerous romance here. Kevin Costner plays a former ace attracted to the sultry wife (Madeline Stowe) of his powerful Mexican host (whose name, Tiburon, means shark in Spanish). Anthony Quinn plays Tiburon, and Miguel Ferrer and Sally Kirkland are along for the ride in this sweaty saga of illicit love filmed on location in Mexico.

Cast: Kevin Costner, Anthony Quinn, Madeleine Stowe, Tomas Milian, Joaquin Martinez, James Gammon, Jesse Corti, Sally Kirkland, Luis de Icaza, Gerardo Zepeda

Director: Tony Scott

Genres: Dramas, Romantic Movies, Crime Dramas, Romantic Dramas, Steamy Romantic Movies

This movie is: Emotional, Steamy, Suspenseful, Romantic

22. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I just finished watching Hard Candy (very good). Makes you wonder what kind of life could make a 14 year old girl act like that? Also, can you imagine anyone being able to talk you into hanging yourself, for any reason? It's clear that she is a classic sociopath with skill and knowledge beyond her years, and she was surely out for revenge.

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

yep! Did you see all the plot twists coming?