Restaurant rescinds prayer discount

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Magical Realist, Aug 11, 2014.

1. iceaura Valued Senior Member

That doesn't work for religion, race, or sex. Never has. Giving that kind of power to the owners of the wealth of a community amplifies their power in arenas that wealth should not be allowed to govern. You end up with capitalism, but oppressive rather than free.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bells Staff Member

Oh for goodness sake..

Kind of over people referring to the McDonalds coffee cup case in such a frivolous manner without a clue of what actually happened.. That "too hot" cup of coffee gave her 3rd degree burns that required multiple surgeries and skin grafts. The coffee was not "too hot". It was scalding hot enough to give anyone who came into contact with it full thickness burns (3rd degree burns for the full thickness of the skin) within a matter of seconds.

A vascular surgeon determined that Liebeck suffered full thickness burns (or third-degree burns) over 6 percent of her body, including her inner thighs, perineum, buttocks, and genital and groin areas. She was hospitalized for eight days, during which time she underwent skin grafting. Liebeck, who also underwent debridement treatments, sought to settle her claim for $20,000, but McDonalds refused.

During discovery, McDonalds produced documents showing more than 700 claims by people burned by its coffee between 1982 and 1992. Some claims involved third-degree burns substantially similar to Liebecks. This history documented McDonalds' knowledge about the extent and nature of this hazard.

McDonalds also said during discovery that, based on a consultants advice, it held its coffee at between 180 and 190 degrees fahrenheit to maintain optimum taste. He admitted that he had not evaluated the safety ramifications at this temperature. Other establishments sell coffee at substantially lower temperatures, and coffee served at home is generally 135 to 140 degrees.

Further, McDonalds' quality assurance manager testified that the company actively enforces a requirement that coffee be held in the pot at 185 degrees, plus or minus five degrees. He also testified that a burn hazard exists with any food substance served at 140 degrees or above, and that McDonalds coffee, at the temperature at which it was poured into styrofoam cups, was not fit for consumption because it would burn the mouth and throat. The quality assurance manager admitted that burns would occur, but testified that McDonalds had no intention of reducing the "holding temperature" of its coffee.

Plaintiffs' expert, a scholar in thermodynamics applied to human skin burns, testified that liquids, at 180 degrees, will cause a full thickness burn to human skin in two to seven seconds. Other testimony showed that as the temperature decreases toward 155 degrees, the extent of the burn relative to that temperature decreases exponentially. Thus, if Liebeck's spill had involved coffee at 155 degrees, the liquid would have cooled and given her time to avoid a serious burn.

Next time you wish to comment on a case that you seem to believe was frivolous, at the very least, get the facts right first. The coffee itself had caused 3rd degree burns in many people until this grandmother took them to court after they refused to pay for her medical costs caused by their scalding hot coffee which was not fit for consumption at that temperature.. All without any warning. The whole warning label on the lid of cups came long after the "McDonalds" case. The effect the Liebeck case had was to force them to lower the temperature of the water to boiling hot instead of scaling hot.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

No, you said that "If I offered a discount for people who ordered Kosher, then we'd have a problem." No, you wouldn't. If you offered a discount to JEWS you would be in trouble. However, there is nothing wrong with charging people more who say "I want that kosher" - because anyone can say that. Jew, Christian, atheist - they can all order Kosher if they want. Claiming "no, only Jews can do that so it's discrimination" is silly.

Likewise, anyone can say a prayer. Claiming that only Catholics, or religious, or non-pagan people can do that is silly.
    And that is exactly what they did NOT do. They didn't require a Christian prayer, they required a prayer.
    Yes, it is. A Christian scientist or a pagan can get the discount by saying a prayer. A Christian scientist cannot get the free food without violating the precepts of his religion. Thus, one is a ban on a certain religion, one is not. That's pretty simple logic.
    Yes, it was, and it was on a website of atheist meal blessings. A good example of how atheists can say prayers without "lying about it."
    Then keep your dignity and go to a different restauraunt. You have a lot of rights in this country; legal enforcement of your sense of dignity is not one of those rights.
    If you require adherence to a specific religion, then yes, it's a problem, because that's a protected class. "People who don't want to pray" is not a protected class.
    How did I duck the question? I don't want to "fuck" anyone, and the fact that you bring up fucking during a discussion that had nothing to do with it is indicative of your anger over this issue. Which is odd - but to each their own.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. billvon Valued Senior Member

All deny people things based on religion and race - which is illegal. Giving a discount to someone who prays is not.

Now, the first time that a customer comes in and says a humanist blessing and is denied that discount, you'd have a case. Until then - people who say blessings before they eat are not a protected class.

8. Balerion Banned Banned

It wasn't a good example, admittedly.

It's silly to suggest that prayer is a non-religious function. It's a private communication between the person praying and the deity or deities they worship.

It's analogous to what they did, because prayer is religious in nature by definition..

It's simple alright, it just isn't logic. Think about what you're saying. Working on a Sunday in forbidden by certain Jewish sects. Does that make overtime religious in nature? Does that mean Sears is banning Jews from its workforce? Or is working on Sunday at Sears a secular activity that only has religious connotation when viewed through the lens of a particular religion?

Try to think about it. Seriously, it might help.

I have no idea why an Irish prayer would be on a wesbite of atheist meal blessings, or any idea why such a website would exist, but regardless of what you read on one internet website, prayer is a religious function. Therefore it is a violation of civil rights laws. That is a fact.

Sure it is. That's one of the reasons civil rights laws exist in the first place, genius. Blacks could ride the bus, sure, but they suffered the indignity of riding in the back. Then we, as a nation, realized that putting human beings through that kind of degredation and humiliation wasn't tolerable. So we enacted laws preventing it.

It's odd how you seem to have this notion of prayer as this thing everyone does, and those who don't are just being difficult. Yours is the same mistake the diner owners are making: Namely, assuming that all religious people are essentially Protestant Christian.

Everybody prays over their meal, right? Right?

Oh, this is where you pretend you don't speak English so good. Okay, well, try again, this time omitting the popular slang term "Fuck," which in this case meant "to hell with" or "forget."

9. Balerion Banned Banned

Case-in-point.

Do I get to take a shot in return, or are you too much of a coward to extend your mod-shield to me for one post?

Also, you're not an authority. You're just a bully. And I know what you're compensating for.

10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Take whatever shot you want - I've long since ceased caring what you think... your fetish with the moderation team is, quite frankly, disgusting. At this point, the only thing I'm "compensating for" is how long I endeavored to show you the courtesy of not simply speaking my mind and calling out what I see... that courtesy is over. If you don't like being called out on your actions, then perhaps its time to start acting the way you are.

We both know, however, that you are completely unwilling to admit wrongdoing, much less change your ways... five pages of infractions shows that quite well.

11. wellwisher Banned Banned

In terms of the restaurant giving discounts for prayer, what about political action committees PACs who do not give discounts to all groups? Do the PAC's have the right to discriminate against other causes, that don't agree with them to the level they require? Isn't it up to the cause to conform to the needs of PAC to get the feeble? If I want to get money from a PAC, that supports gay rights or prayer in schools, but don't jump the hoops, should we call this discrimination if they don't give it to me ?

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What if they would give discounts to gay people (men kissing each other on the mouth) only?
    Would straight men be kissing each other in order to get the discount? Would you do it? I think not..
    Would you like that situation? It's about the same thing as giving discounts for people praying.

13. iceaura Valued Senior Member

No, they don't. They don't deny anything to anybody - they grant a discount to favored folks, and in the Walmart and airline ticket examples they grant that discount based on what of religious import people say or do - nothing prevents anyone from claiming adherence to a non-Islamic religion, for example. Any Muslim who wants an airline discount can simply claim Presbyterian belief and pocket the money - right? Or maybe that would be necessary to be allowed to fly at all on these private airlines owned by people who have religious agendas - why not? There's no discrimination, after all, in treating everyone who says the right thing in public the same - says the business owner person.

All religious identity is based on what people are willing to say or do - often, at meals. Discrimination based on that is forbidden to US businesses in their public dealings.

That kind of pretend neutrality in religious matters has been a cover for religious oppression so invariably that the burden of proof has shifted and the practice banned. We've seen that song and dance too often, and the consequences of officially pretending to believe it have been too severe, to allow a blind eye toward what is actually going on.

The case has been made by centuries of experience, already. In race, sex, and religion, you let the nose in, you get the camel. If we pretend we don't know this, we will suffer the consequences.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Read the law. A PAC doesn't qualify as a business open to the public.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Since a business is not a person, they have to abide by special Federal regulations of all sorts.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

What's the great burden of printing a warning label? In my company we take every step possible to prevent accidents, including large, brightly colored warnings on everything, with detailed instructions on how to use something and how not to use it. And we aren't the general public, everyone is relatively smart and educated. Prevention is far superior to an industrial accident.

17. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Oh gimme a break. Liebeck and her attorneys made out like a bandit, being awarded 2 million. Yet she spilled her coffee on herself. If I poke my eye with a straw from a McDonald's drink do I get 2 million too because McDonald's didn't warn me about that? Liebeck obviously had reasonable expectation that the coffee was hot enough to burn her skin.This can't have been the first time she ordered coffee from them. And the coffee was that hot because it had to meet industry standards. Here's the Wiki background your website seems to have missed:

"The case is considered by some to be an example of frivolous litigation.[4] ABC News called the case "the poster child of excessive lawsuits".[5] Jonathan Turley called the case "a meaningful and worthy lawsuit".[6] McDonald's asserts that the outcome of the case was a fluke, and attributed the loss to poor communications and strategy by an unfamiliar insurer representing a franchise. Liebeck's attorney, Reed Morgan, and the Association of Trial Lawyers of America defended the result in Liebeck by claiming that McDonald's reduced the temperature of its coffee after the suit.

Detractors have argued that McDonald's refusal to offer more than an $800 settlement for the $10,500 in medical bills indicated that the suit was meritless and highlighted the fact that Liebeck spilled the coffee on herself rather than any wrongdoing on the company's part.[16][17][18] They also argued that the coffee was not defective because McDonald's coffee conformed to industry standards,[2] and coffee continues to be served as hot or hotter today at McDonald's and chains like Starbucks.[19] They further stated that the vast majority of judges who consider similar cases dismiss them before they get to a jury.[20] From 2002 to 2007, an offshoot from a weekly news column by writer Randy Cassingham resulted in a website called the "Stella Awards", which purported to give awards to people who filed "outrageous and frivolous lawsuits"....

...McMahon v. Bunn Matic Corporation (1998), Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals Judge Frank Easterbrook wrote a unanimous opinion affirming dismissal of a similar lawsuit against coffeemaker manufacturer Bunn-O-Matic, finding that 179 °F (82 °C) hot coffee was not "unreasonably dangerous".[21]

In Bogle v. McDonald’s Restaurants Ltd. (2002), a similar lawsuit in England failed when the court rejected the claim that McDonald's could have avoided injury by serving coffee at a lower temperature.[22]

Since Liebeck, major vendors of coffee, including Chick-Fil-A,[23] Starbucks, Dunkin' Donuts, Wendy's, Burger King,[24] hospitals,[25] and McDonald's[26] have been defendants in similar lawsuits over coffee-related burns. The courts in these lawsuits did not find hot coffee unreasonably dangerous or defectively manufactured.[citation needed]

Coffee temperature

In 1994, a spokesman for the National Coffee Association said that the temperature of McDonald's coffee conformed to industry standards.[2] An "admittedly unscientific" survey by the LA Times that year found that coffee was served between 157 and 182 °F, and that two locations tested served hotter coffee than McDonald's.[27]

Since Liebeck, McDonald's has not reduced the service temperature of its coffee. McDonald's policy today is to serve coffee between 80–90 °C (176–194 °F),[28] relying on more sternly-worded warnings on cups made of rigid foam to avoid future liability, though it continues to face lawsuits over hot coffee.[28][29] The Specialty Coffee Association supports improved packaging methods rather than lowering the temperature at which coffee is served. The association has successfully aided the defense of subsequent coffee burn cases.[30] Similarly, as of 2004, Starbucks sells coffee at 175–185 °F (79–85 °C), and the executive director of the Specialty Coffee Association of America reported that the standard serving temperature is 160–185 °F (71–85 °C). Retailers today sell coffee as hot or hotter than the coffee that burned Stella Liebeck.
    ---http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants

18. Bells Staff Member

No, I won't give you a break. The coffee was not "hot". It was scalding. And McDonalds knew full well that it's coffee was resulting in people getting 3rd degree burns but ignored all recommendations that they lower the temperature down to just being hot.. Over 700 complaints that their coffee was causing serious and severe injuries and they ignored all of it. Coffee that gives full thickness burns within 2 seconds is not just "hot" coffee. Now certainly, you may be the type to enjoy drinking coffee that results in your needing a series of surgeries and skin grafts and ongoing treatment for the rest of your life and that's just peachy for you. There was a case here in Australia where the coffee was so hot that she suffered 3rd degree burns to her lips, mouth, throat and parts of her stomach, resulting in weeks in hospital and extensive reconstruction surgery. Those cases are not why there is a 'hot beverage' warning on lids. Those cases resulted in the water temperature being lowered to non-scalding.

And just so you know, Liebeck originally asked for $20,000 to pay for the medical treatment that full thickness burns - and these burns went down to her bones - requires.

I am so sick and tired of people using this case and falsifying it and making it out as if it was just 'hot coffee'. Having seen the images of her injuries, I can assure you, $2 million is nowhere near enough. Her injuries were horrific. And just so you know, the court brought it down to $480,000. Now sure, I could believe that it was frivolous because the company, that hospitalised dozens of people with 3rd degree burns and ignored all safety and quality assurance inspectors stating that their coffee was dangerous and could cause life threatening injuries and permanent scarring for over 10 years, says so. The pictures of what this woman suffered say a thousand words. I dare you to even look at them and tell me that it was frivolous. And just so you know, what is shown in the photos is just a part of it. Those burns also burnt through to the bones of not just between her thighs, but also her vagina and parts of her buttocks. That's right, the coffee was so hot that it burnt through all of her skin, tissue and down to her bones. Be advised though, the images are exceptionally graphic of the burns she suffered and those burns are horrific.

There's hot coffee and there is liquids that are so hot, they burn you right down to your bones within a matter of seconds. Few people laugh after they see what this woman suffered from her "hot coffee". Hot coffee no longer give these types of injuries to adults because of this woman. Next time you buy a cup of coffee and you spill it on yourself, you should thank her. She's the reason you don't end up in hospital with burns down to your bones, requiring multiple skin grafts and surgery.

So next time, get you facts rights before spouting off about something you obviously know nothing about. Look at her injuries. Now imagine if that was your genitals, inner thighs, leg and buttocks. And then tell me that she made out like a bandit. Go on. I dare you.

Edit to add, after noticing your edit..

Some facts about the actual case:

McDonald’s admitted that it has known about the risk of serious burns from its scalding hot coffee for more than 10 years — the risk was brought to its attention through numerous other claims and suits, to no avail;

From 1982 to 1992, McDonald’s coffee burned more than 700 people, many receiving severe burns to the genital area, perineum, inner thighs, and buttocks;

Not only men and women, but also children and infants, have been burned by McDonald’s scalding hot coffee, in some instances due to inadvertent spillage by McDonald’s employees;

McDonald’s admitted at trial that its coffee is “not fit for consumption” when sold because it causes severe scalds if spilled or drunk;

[HR][/HR]

WHAT ABOUT THE “STELLA AWARDS” (NAMED FOR STELLA LIEBECK) CIRCULATING AROUND THE INTERNET?

The Stella Awards, which are supposedly six “crazy” lawsuits, have been circulating around the Internet since May 2001. They are all entirely made up. According to Snopes.com, a website that debunks urban legends, “All of the entries in the list are fabrications – a search for news stories about each of these cases failed to turn up anything, as did a search for each law case.”

In 2003, then Washington Post media columnist Howard Kurtz reported on confronting U.S. News & World Report owner Mort Zuckerman about referencing these fictitious cases. “Great stuff,” said Kurtz after describing two of the crazy lawsuits cited by Zuckerman. “Unfortunately for Zuckerman, totally bogus.… Zuckerman has plenty of company. A number of newspapers and columnists have touted the phantom cases since they surfaced in 2001 in a Canadian newspaper.”

IS THIS USE OF FABRICATED ANECDOTES A NEW THING?

No. The “tort reform” movement has been using exaggerated or fabricated anecdotes to drive their agenda for years. In his 1996 article “Real World Torts,” University of Wisconsin Law School professor Marc Galanter wrote, “Unfortunately, much of the debate on the civil justice system relies on anecdotes and atrocity stories and unverified assertion rather than analysis of reliable data.” Professors William Haltom and Michael McCann illustrate many examples of this in their 2004 book Distorting the Law; Politics, Media and the Litigation Crisis, writing that “tort reformers” typically point to some extraordinary occurrence – some exaggerated or fabricated “horror story” – to symbolize what they want to call “ordinary” about the tort system. The outcomes of these cases are told in such a way as to violate notions of common sense, and to demonstrate injustices and inefficiencies of the tort system, which is said to be of great cost and peril to individual responsibility, economic efficiency, and reason.

For example, the case of Charles Bigbee was the “McDonald’s coffee case” of the 1980s. President Ronald Reagan described Bigbee’s case in a 1986 speech as follows: “In California, a man was using a public telephone booth to place a call. An alleged drunk driver careened down the street, lost control of his car, and crashed into a phone booth. Now, it’s no surprise that the injured man sued. But you might be startled to hear whom he sued: the telephone company and associated firms!”

In fact, Bigbee’s leg was severed after a car hit the phone booth in which he had been trapped. The door jammed after he saw the car coming ‚ he tried to flee but could not. The accident left him unable to walk, severely depressed and unable to work. Because the phone company had placed the booth near a known hazardous intersection, and because the door was defective, keeping him trapped inside, he sued the phone company for compensation.

Consumer groups brought Bigbee and others to testify in Congress in 1986. Bigbee said, “I believe it would be very helpful if I could talk briefly about my case and show how it has been distorted not only by the President, but by the media as well. That is probably the best way to show that people who are injured due to the fault of others should be justly compensated for the damages they have to live with the rest of their lives.” House Committee on Banking, Finance and Urban Affairs, July 23, 1986. Charles Bigbee died in 1994 at age 52.

This is why it's always good to actually have a clue.

19. Balerion Banned Banned

This place deserves better than you. My past ban is evidence of just how fragile your ego is, and of how much of it is tied into your appearance here. Pointing out how crude your comments were, for examle, immediately drew flaming insults and Insinuation. You can't even pretend to be anything but an angry little man whose self-worth is wholly dependent on the size of his e-peen. I mean, did you really call yourself an "authority?" You're a clownish little bully that needs to lord over others to feel good about yourself.

If you don't like what I have to say, maybe it's time you consider changing your behavior. You know, maybe don't call someone a troll just because you can. You know, maybe don't abuse the fact that there's no oversight for moderators. You know, act like a human being instead fo a fake tough guy hiding behind a computer monitor.

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

That's the best you can do? How sad... the only part you got right was that I am behind a computer monitor... and that's a given since this is the Internet. Ah well, I never expected you to be able to put together an actual, reasonable argument. Ah well, the mewling whining of an angry troll doesn't bother me any; unlike you, I am content and secure in who and what I am - the post of moderator is not a popularity contest. If you don't like me, oh well

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

And just so YOU know, and as I quoted, McDonald's WAS and IS still serving their coffee at 170 degrees in complete agreement with industry standards and many other coffee outlets, including Starbucks. Sleezy lawyers and their opportunistic spillers have since this trial tried to sue these companies for shamefully exorbitant amounts but judges almost consistently thrown their cases out. Everybody knows that coffee is hot, and that to spill in your crotch will result in burns. But there's no logic for holding the food outlet for the accident you had due to your own clumsiness. That's why people laugh at lawsuits like this, and at people who try to defend them in the name of some screwed up sense of payback against evil corporations. It's abuse of the legal system in the name of greed, and the main reason corporations now have to print stupid warnings on their products is because of the stupid careless people who are out trying to milk them of every cent they can get. Now case closed before Kitt closes us down for being off topic.

More frivolous lawsuits:

"In September 1988, two Akron, Ohio-based carpet layers named Gordon Falker and Gregory Roach were severely burned when a three and a half gallon container of carpet adhesive ignited when the hot water heater it was sitting next to kicked on. Both men felt the warning label on the back of the can was insufficient. Words like "flammable" and "keep away from heat" didn't prepare them for the explosion. They filed suit against the adhesive manufacturers, Para-Chem. A jury obviously agreed since the men were awarded $8 million for their troubles.

In 1992, 23-year old Karen Norman accidentally backed her car into GalvestonBay after a night of drinking. Norman couldn't operate her seat belt and drowned. Her passenger managed to disengage herself and make it to shore. Norman's parents sued Honda for making a seat belt their drunken daughter (her blood alcohol level was .17 - nearly twice the legal limit) couldn't open underwater. A jury found Honda seventy-five percent responsible for Karen's death and awarded the Norman family $65 million. An appeals court threw out the case.

In May 2003, Stephen Joseph of San Francisco sued Kraft foods for putting trans-fat in their Oreo cookies. Joseph wanted an injunction to order Kraft to stop selling Oreos to children. Once the media caught wind of Joseph's lawsuit, the media blitz became too much for him to handle. He decided to drop the suit."

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If it were truly frivolous, it would have been thrown out by the judge.

Anyway:

McDonalds also said during discovery that, based on a consultants advice, it held its coffee at between 180 and 190 degrees Fahrenheit to maintain optimum taste. He admitted that he had not evaluated the safety ramifications at this temperature.

Not 170 as you claim.

And this:

Post-verdict investigation found that the temperature of coffee at the local Albuquerque McDonalds had dropped to 158 degrees Fahrenheit.

Not 170 as you claim.

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

23. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Rights versus Priviliges

Really? Or, Why Do People Insist on Such Stupidity?

This is the sort of uneducated bullshit we put up with on a daily basis from American charlatans otherwise known as "conservatives".

As for non-Americans? Well, this part isn't really so hard to figure out.

(1) In the public square, such as a licensed business, it is illegal to discriminate against people for their religion.

(2) Therefore, offering a benefit intended to exclude people according to religious criteria is a violation of the First Amendment guarantee of free religion;.

(3) The only practical way around this is to adopt the tacit argument of American conservatives: We cannot be equal under the law unless we are superior under the law.​

Like I said, this is not hard to figure out. Generally speaking, when someone introduces such an argument, it is a signal to everyone else that they have nothing useful to say.

Here is the reality: Where you see imbalance in "clamping down", this is what happens whenever one pursues equality. That is to say, for those denigrated by inequality, equality is a step up. For those enjoying the fruits of inequality, equality is a step down. If it appears Chrsitians are getting hit more than other religions, that is because our American search for equality and justice means Christians will lose some unjust privileges.

The phrasing of your inquiry requires the erroneous presupposition that the situation preceding this incident represented some manner of just balance. It does not, and in the United States it never has. There is a reason why our quest for equality has heard whites, males, and Christians complaining incessantly over the last couple decades. These are the groups that are losing privilege in order that others' rights may be fulfilled.