Resources For Learning About Different Cultures And Religions

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by mmatt9876, May 26, 2018.

1. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

Very true. I have a diverse group of neighbors living next door to me.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I have great respect for the men and women that have served in the armed forces here in the US to protect us and our country.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Hoo-rah.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Why?

8. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I have respect for them because they have fought in wars to protect the freedom and human rights we enjoy here in the US.

9. sculptor Valued Senior Member

10. sculptor Valued Senior Member

OK
    How, exactly. did what we did in Nam "protect the freedom and human rights we enjoy here in the US." ?

11. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I am not an expert on domestic and foreign wars that the US was involved in but I was thinking more along the lines of our roles in the American Revolution, the American Civil War, World War 1, and World War 2. If I am correct I believe our actions in those four wars created new freedoms or human rights for us here in the US, protected our existing freedom and human rights, and helped out other people and countries. I do not know much about the Vietnam War. What was that all about?

12. sculptor Valued Senior Member

'cepting a few ww2 vets, all of those guys are dead

and as/re "the Vietnam War"
    was officially "a police action in a theater of combat"

We won on the field, (see tet) but the media and politicians threw that away.
    (perhaps, it had to do with expanding the draft into the middle classes by eliminating the corrupt local draft boards which were run by those classes, and enacting a national lottery draft?)

I read once that congress uses soldiers like tissue paper------use them once then throw them away.

(my new shoes were made in VietNam )

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  13. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

My (twenty year-old) boots were made in the USA. My appetite is worldwide.

14. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

My grandfather was a young man during World War 2 and joined the US Navy in 1946 after the war ended when he became of legal age to enlist. He died a few years ago and I never got a chance to ask him about his navy days. I am not sure why I never asked him about it.

I believe that the Vietnam War was an unpopular war with the American public at the time. I know that we lost in Vietnam. I believe our opponent in the war was North Vietnam. We had a lot of trouble fighting the Vietcong in the jungle, especially because they were sometime operating outside the Vietnamese border, I believe in Cambodia, which I am not sure if we had clearance with the UN, or whatnot, to drop bombs on or send troops to. It is sad that you read about congress using soldiers like tissue paper. I hope it is not true. I have respect for Vietnam veterans even though the war they fought was unpopular. Were our actions in Vietnam unjust?

War is a terrible thing. The loss of life and freedom. The mental and emotional scars. The best we can do is work with people to prevent war.

15. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

such is the nature of capitalism
    proselytizing the customer to buy again.

16. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I am sorry! My grandfather was a teenager during World War 2, not exactly a young man, unless you consider a teenage male a young man.

17. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

The city of Jerusalem in Israel is a great place to visit to learn about and experience the three largest Abrahamic Religions, which are Christianity, Judaism, and Islam.

18. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I am a German, Polish, Irish, and Russian American. The Americans, Germans, Poles, Irish, and Russians are all benevolent peoples and are interesting peoples to visit and learn about.

19. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I am sorry if I overgeneralized about all Americans, Germans, Poles, Irish, and Russians being absolutely benevolent. Every culture has its good and bad people. I just wanted you guys to learn about and appreciate the cultures I come from. I was born in America so I consider myself and American first.

20. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I thought I share what I like and dislike about the United States, Germany, Poland, Ireland, and Russia.

I like that in America us Americans have our human rights and freedoms. I believe we also help out less fortunate countries financially. I dislike that in the past Americans have owned slaves and treated Native Americans, African Americans, and other non-white peoples unfairly.

I love the United States, Germany, Poland, Ireland, and Russia because I have ancestry from those countries but I still have a lot to learn about them before I can support other reasons why I like them so much.

What I dislike about Germany was their role in World War 2. I hate that Germany invaded Poland and France and went to war with England, Russia, and the United States. I hated the Holocaust. I love and respect the Jewish people so to see them mistreated, hurt, and killed in the past hurt me badly. I am sure that Germany and the German people are different now so I have forgiven them and now I love and respect them too.

What I dislike about Russia was their alleged role in the Russian collusion with the Trump Administration. That has badly hurt my opinion and confidence in both the Russians and the Trump Administration.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  21. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

22. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Visit, but not live there.. Sedona surprised me! Not Needles, CA, or Hot Coffee, MS? How did they not make the grade?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Stir-fry tonight, fit for the gods! At least for those gods that can eat pork. Speaking of pork, some of the very best spare ribs I've ever eaten were prepared at Seay's Mansion House in Oxford, just a mile or two from Ole Miss.

mmatt9876 likes this.
  23. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

My parents and I had pork chops with goat cheese and baked potatoes last night for dinner. Tonight we had chicken tacos.