Resources For Learning About Different Cultures And Religions

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by mmatt9876, May 26, 2018.

1. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I wanted to start a thread where people could share resources they know of, such as websites, books, or apps, that teach you about different cultures and religions. I love and respect all benevolent cultures and religions.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

The United States is a great place to visit if you want to come into contact and learn about a wide range of different cultures and religions.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Even gun-toting Buddhist Texicans? Hoo-rah, guey!

mmatt9876 likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

Ha ha! There is nothing wrong with being a Texan living in Mexico, a Mexican living in Texas, or a Buddhist, but gun control is a popular topic here in the US.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  8. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

As I've said here before. gun control is using both hands and hitting what you're aiming at. Pretty simple, so what's the controversy?

Sprechen sie Español?

RainbowSingularity and mmatt9876 like this.
  9. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I guess in the news there is a lot of talk of recent college and school shootings here in the US. Some people believe less guns will lead to less casualties and some people believe more guns will prevent more casualties. It is a tricky situation.

10. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Yessir, but I think the "news" organizations should just report, not proselytize..

Back on-topic, we've got lots of Germans here that've been around since the 1840's, and just north of my area there are Czechs.

There's a fairly well-known bumper sticker that just says, "Jak se máš?"

We have southeast Asians just south of here. I was told once by a Pilipina friend that I'd be just fine if I were dropped off somewhere in Asia.

Multiculturism in Texas. Who'd have thunk it? I just wish I could get a good Reuben here...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

mmatt9876 likes this.
  11. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

Here in New Jersey we have a lot of different cultures living together. Here we have people of African, European, Asian, Middle Eastern, Central American, and South American descent all living and working together. I do not think New Jersey is the most diverse state in the union but we are probably up there.

12. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

I bet it's pretty close to tops. I lived in Massachusetts for a while and got to know everybody like Portugese, French, Seneca and Greeks. Greeks make better pizza than Italians, by the way..

mmatt9876 likes this.
  13. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

Here is a link showing the most diverse states in America. New Jersey is number eight.

https://www.homesnacks.net/most-diverse-states-in-america-128573/

I have gotten to know people here in New Jersey with ancestry from countries around the world.

I will have to try Greek pizza some day!

14. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Hah! Thanks, that's just my personal experience, of course. We were friends with the guys at the pizzeria nearby, and hot grease is good on a winter day!

15. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

My parents and I live near a pizzeria here in New Jersey that serves great pizza. We are friends with the owners who also prepare the pizza and their family in from Naples Italy. My moms favorite pizza can be found in South Jersey on the Jersey shore.

16. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

That kind of leaves me out these days, since I live in Texas. Not only can't I get Greek pizza, I can't get moussaka or dolmas here either. So much for culture, eh?

17. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

If you like to cook you could go to the market and buy the ingredients for those dishes, if the market has them, and prepare and cook them yourself. I know it is not as cool as going to a Greek or Middle Eastern restaurant and buying and eating the real thing, prepared by the people of that culture, but it is the next best thing.

18. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Oh, I love to cook. I've been told by my Asian friends that I can cook some things better than mama did... Crawfish or chicken shumai is easy, but getting good kid or lamb is another story down here, much less grape leaves.

Are you familiar with Philippino food? They do a thing like dolmas, but it uses the big leaves from a chili pepper as a wrapper. Wonderful stuff!

19. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

So you could learn about different cultures by getting to know your neighbours.

20. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

That's how I can cook Mexican, Italian, Philippino and Chinese. And Greek, and Polish, and.. Oh, lordy, I forget Cajun!

Please have a solemn and reverent Memorial day, and feast! Raise your flags back to full staff and salute the brave.

21. sculptor Valued Senior Member

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”
    from
    Mark Twain

mmatt9876 and Dr_Toad like this.
  22. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

One of my favorite authors.

23. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

That is great you cook! Cooking is a great hobby that I have yet to break into. I am not familiar with Filipino food but I have read that Filipino cuisine has been influenced by the Chinese, Arabs, Malays, Spanish, and Americans. The dolma-like Filipino food you are telling me about sounds good!

http://www.ethnicgroupsphilippines.com/2016/05/30/foreign-influences-on-filipino-culture/