resetting a trial period

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by dsdsds, Mar 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

I have installed a demo software (Nero 6 Ultra Edition) which had a 30 day free trial period. 30 days passed and I want to reinstall the demo software for another 30 days. Simple uninstall and install (obviously) does not work. Also cleaning the registry using RegSupreme does not work. Any ideas?

Also, if anyone is wondering, I consider resetting the trial period to be ethical and should be legal (if it isn't). They installed a "first time use" registry key somewhere deep in MY OS and I have the right to remove it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

You agreed to the trial contract when you installed the software. Resetting your trial period would be a breach of contract.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

dsdsds,

There is nothing wrong with a breach of contract. Ethics are for morons who need to be told what to do.

Why you would want to reset the trial instead of changing the trial to a full version

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

is beyond me..

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

Absolutely! I read, and understood (to the best of my knowledge) the terms and I agreed with the demo license agreement.

I don't think so. Unfortunately, I can't access or find the agreement because I can't open the damn program. I've read similar contracts and they cover many things such as:
    1. not modifing code
    2. not using serial generators
    3. not to copy, share, resell, bla, bla, bla...
    4. something about "wm-drm" which (I think) means allowing parties (like microsoft) to send stuff to your computer to control access to some programs -- scary, but I even agreed to that. Let them try sending whatever they want. But there was nothing in the contract that said I can not delete stuff in my computer or restore my computer to the state it was before I installed their software.

Also, there was nothing that said I could not reinstall windows and install the program again.

Basically, I want to find what was added to my computer during the installation of the demo version and DELETE it. I'm pretty sure there was nothing in the license agreement that prevents me from doing that.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  8. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

SouthStar
    I am interested in only one plug-in from Nero and that's Nero RECODE. I don't think Nero Recode is a stand alone program (I wish it were). If I was interested in pirating the software, I probably would not be able to find a key generator which would work for the newly released Nero and recode plug-in. I'm speaking hypothetically of course

. And I would never start a thread on that.

I am only interested in resetting the trial period of the demo version.

9. Aborted_Fetus Bored Registered Senior Member

Here's your solution:

Open Nero, Help menu > Enter New Serial Number

Add this serial number: [deleted]

Ultra Edition now unlocked

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2005
  10. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

Alright, it seems like I'm not getting anywhere. New question: What is the absolute best registry manager? I need a tool that can identify, track, backup, restore .. the works.

11. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

12. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

Shouldn't threads like these.. just looking for cracks and warez, etc just be closed and locked?

13. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

I'm not looking for cracks. I'm looking for registry management tools and uninstallers. Perfectly legit. Maybe if you would care to read a little, you would know what this thread is about.

14. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

It's about you trying to continue to use software without paying the owner.

:m: Peace.

15. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

Maybe it's about me trying to TRY the software a little longer. Maybe I installed the software and did not fully TRY it before it expired. Maybe I really intend to purchase it if, after fully evaluating it, I discover it is better than any freeware. Maybe I'll email Nero to request another free trial period.

Also, maybe I want to start a debate on whether or not it is LEGAL to reset a trial period. I've been unsuccessful in starting that debate probably because most of you think it is obviously not legal. I'm not convinced it is illegal. It is not, at all, stealing or cracking ..

16. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

It probably is a violation of the EULA. In the section where it talks about only installing the program on one computer, it probably has a stipulation on resetting the 30 day period.

Either that, or it usually says "after 30 days, if you continue to use the software, you must purchase it".

With that said, why not just change your clock on your computer? It usually works. The only problem is, don't set it to too early a date. I set mine back more than a year one time (maybe even before the windows installation date), and I had a hard time booting up my computer.

Why not search through your registry manually? use "regedit" and search for all mention of that program.

17. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

Your intentions matter little. The fact is, the author has built the software to only allow you to use it for a short period of time. Whether or not I agree with this (and I don't I use all open source software) is not the question. You are trying to circumvent this, and you will probably find no help on this forum here for that or anything else illegal.

-AntonK

18. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

What a shame. For me, or for you?

19. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

I think "intentions" is what it's all about. The company intends to make me try the software in hopes that I will like it and buy it. I intend to try it and buy it if I like it and intend to use it.

Again, you assume it's illegal without justifying it..

I don't remember if it says that. I would seriously doubt it can have a stipulation preventing you from deleting or uninstalling some (or any) files from your computer. And what if your computer crashes on the 29th day and you reinstall the OS. Are you then allowed to reinstall the software and just use 1 of the 30 days allowed?

It may have said that and I agree. If I plan to USE the software after 30 days, then I must buy it. The point is, I want to keep on TRYING it until I finish my evaluation. .. A counter arguement to that is the contract is such that that the software could run on your system for a maximum of 30 days whether or not you use it or try it.

What pisses me off (and I find intrusive and unjust) about all these trial software is that they install a hidden time bomb on your system. Yes .. you agree to it but it should be illegal to do it even with the user's permission. It's like the company says, "Trust us, we'll hide some files in your system so that you can try this for some time. After that the files will prevent you from trying or re-installing. But trust us, these files which we are hiding in your system will not affect anything else in you computer. Trust us. No Really. TRUST US! BTW, we are not responsible for any damage our software causes to your system ..."

What I want to say is, "Trust me, I will try out your software and if i find it is as good as you claim it is, and I plan to use it, I will buy it. If I don't like it, I will uninstall it. Trust me."

What pisses me even more is that you guys are all fooled into beleiving that deleting YOUR registries or "fully uninstalling" software on YOUR computer is illegal. WTF?! Also, you trust the software companies to fuck with my registry but you don't trust ME (your sciforum collegue) when I tell you I need to TRY the software a little more before I make up my mind on whether or not to buy it

20. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

You could not finish trying a single plug-in within 30 days? Color me skeptical.

:m: Peace.

21. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

it seems perfectly fine to me if someone wants a new trial of a program. I ran into this same problem before, I got my sisters old computer and she had already had a trial expire of a program I wanted to try. since there is no way for me to prove that I am a different person than the one who signed up for the first trial I as SOL.

22. harsh gupta Registered Member

dear dsdsds

say whatever u want to say.......either u claim to reset the trial period without the clear intention of not violating the eula or u say that what u r doing is on ur own pc, illegal is illegal.

all i can say is that u still needed a crack to understand the concept........thats a hint, but let me tell u one thing, even if u try to change the registry keys, there is a possibility for the manufacturer or the S/W company to track that u have done something tricky (of course if u are connected to net for a longer duration.

23. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

I am pretty sure the crackers knew very well what tricks the S/W company had before developing the crack. Proggies phoning home should be no problem. Especially with a good firewall.

And I would know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.