Researchers find way to "Delete" HIV Virus from human cells

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Kittamaru, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

http://guff.com/glt-scientists-delete-hiv/20?ts_pid=2

This... is pretty damn cool! If they can actually remove the "damaged code" and allow the body to repair the damage itself... well, what's not to love!

Curious to know if/what side effects or unintended effects this code-removal could have...​

joepistole likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

I've seen something on this a short while back. I think it was a The Scientist email update? I believe they even referenced its use for possible removal of some gene based diseases/disorders, in addition to the obvious retrovirus targets. But there will be a long process involved in bringing it to a clinical stage. A great deal of work will have to be put into proving that it targets only the specific sequence intended. Even a small error could have dramatic consequences.

But yes this is a very nice work.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Indeed... I mean, imagine if, by accident, it somehow changed/shifted the origin point for the Initiation phase of DNA Replication... or if it deactivated the DNA Helicase enzymes...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.