Research...

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by davewhite04, Aug 25, 2019.

1. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exchemist Valued Senior Member

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Myth can be anything.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Your question is ambiguous.

Are you asking if some of us would read that site before we posted a serious thread on it?
    That would kind of depend on whether
    a] we were interested in the topic
    b] believed the site had something useful
    c] had a question about the topic.

Are you asking if we would read that site before you posted something serious?
    Seems to me that would be an undue burden. Ask first, then we'd read up on it.
    And we'd read up on sources we thought were reliable.

8. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Who you speaking for?

9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I'm asking you. Your opening question is ambiguous.

10. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Well if you don't like ambiguous why reply?

11. sculptor Valued Senior Member

previous unknown civilizations----------no problem---however---something in the archaeological record would be desired.

12. billvon Valued Senior Member

That's a myth!

exchemist likes this.
  13. exchemist Valued Senior Member

So? I would not treat reading a crank site as useful "research" before starting a serious thread. Which is what you asked.

I might, I suppose, read one before criticising a thread started by someone else and containing crank ideas.

14. exchemist Valued Senior Member

In order to find out what you really mean, obviously.

DaveC426913 likes this.
  15. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

sometimes
    i am ware not making the point to not just click on any site
    the subject sounds a bit convoluted

ancient-origins
    myths-legends
    ... if it is an ancient origin than there is am pmlied fact of it being real which makes it not a myth and also not a legend

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Age

"The Lost Golden Age" .. per say is a fairly well establish myth
    is it also a legend ?
    maybe... probably...

is there any actual archaeological evidence ?

yes and no
    there is substantial evidence of lost semi-golden age's
    however attributing them to a single age seems somewhat miss directing.

i have read dozens of such web sites over the years.

could you maybe add some specific discussion points you wish to discuss ?

for example
    the lost city/island of Atlantis
    i personally believe it is real

were they in a collective Golden age ? i don't think so, though i think they pre-dated the Romans & the Greeks and i think they were where Greek folk legends came from.
    possibly pre-dated the ancient Greeks by 1 to 2 thousand years as a rough guess, maybe more.
    that is my rough inclination by the many many web pages i have read and various modern archeology i have read.
    i do not hold that as a scientific fact, my opinion is changeable with new or different information.

e.g the tower of bable
    probably from the same era just after the lost city of Atlantis when a clearly advanced level of engineering was well known and thrived for many century's.

The hanging gardens
    The Great Library of Alexandria
    etc etc ...
    There are factual sounding cross references to these that show they are highly likely and some shared high levels of engineering technology across many century's.
    like some of the temples that seem to pre date the Egyptians by thousands of years, the real facts are extremely difficult if not impossible to establish.

The technology of the Egyptian empires seems to be far greater than any surrounding evidence can point to in capability to achieve what is there.
    this leaves the question if it was built by their previous ancestors maybe hundreds(if not thousands) of years before.

The dating of the pyramids and various temples seems very hit n miss with a great deal of openly admitted doubt to ability to gain accuracy by the scientists.

There is a great deal of speculation Globally about various temples that would require modern engineering to build that may pre-date many other structures.
    Drawing a sense of it all happening all mostly at one era or age seems a little bit of a convenient catch all to fit nicely into someones desire to simplify something that is vastly more complicated.

another well documented example
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derinkuyu_underground_city

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    davewhite04 likes this.
  16. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

It was an example,

If you want to reply, link an example of a typical web site you would use if we were discussing... comics about the green hornet.

17. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  18. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

When I edit the message it just keeps on adding a end quote.

19. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

cookie assist auto population memory...(clip-board)
    delete everything in your bottom message box where you type.
    then refresh your page, then put your cursor in the box see if it auto populates again.
    if it does then you may need to highlight then delete it.
    occasionally(you have to post quit a lot before you come across this) this can be required to be done several times because of caching and international server lag.

if that still doesn't clear it
    then clean your cookies and re-start your PC
    if that doesn't fix it then it might be a local issue of someone working on your local server and your running from a back up cached server while they fix something.

mostly it is a cookie/sync/cache issue with your PC and the sci-forums site server, which corrects once you have put your cursor in the box, allowed it to auto populate what is in the "clipboard" and then deleted then refreshed your page... twice.

davewhite04 likes this.
  20. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    davewhite04 likes this.
  21. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

It is way simpler than RS indicates.

When you edit a message that contains one or more opening quotes: [ QUOTE ], you must ensure that there is a matching closing quote: [ /QUOTE ].
    If, somewhere in the process of editing the text, you either delete or mangle the closing quote, then the system will see a post without a matching quote pairs, and will add one to the end.

Check that your opening and closing quotes match, and that they do not have typos in them.
    You can always go back and edit the post to fix it. (and once you fix the broken one, don't forget to remove the extra end quote).

22. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Uhh....

"A monastery dating back to the 6th Century... "

Unless there is more to the article, you're off by at least 2500 years.

23. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Yeah they do. just keeps throwing a end quote in. I think I have the solution from rainbow, just debating to myself whether or not it is worth losing all my google accounts cookies to fix this? Nah, Rainbow understood.