Reporting Spam

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Bells, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Soft-delete equals "remove from public view".

Hard-delete equals "scrub from server".

The one is a reclassification of the data; the other is its destruction.

With the new software, I don't know what you see in subfora you weren't assigned to before, but you know those red titles showing a deleted thread?

I have a note somewhere in the memos; I'll link back to it there.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Ah, kk - I was under the impression it changed how regular members saw (or, I guess, didn't see?) the deleted threads

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Just wanted to make sure cause I know when I look at some of the forums after a spam-purge... yikes...

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Follow-up

Because I said I would, this is an example of what our staff is handling, and I would note that this is hardly the heaviest of messes the spammers can make.

Additionally, I should note that there were nine more waiting on page two.

(I'm always embarrassed when I forget to check every last subforum and this happens.)

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

Sheesh. I don't envy your duties as a moderator.

I guess you've already thought about changing how people register, with the different types of captcha or having the registering person typing the answer to a question in a text box like some forums do.

8. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

A reasonably effective method is to prohibit the posting of links until a minimum number of posts have been made. Five is a common number.

Daecon likes this.
  9. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

If memory serves, the reason we no longer do this is because the current software doesn't allow it. Previously, we had a series of 3 questions that had to be answered (simple to find with a google search, but not something word-recognition software could answer) and a 10 post minimum to post links.

10. exchemist Valued Senior Member

That's a pity, because just about ALL the spam contains links.

11. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

The restrictions on posting links seems sensible, whether it be post count or time limit, and more newbie friendly than a sign-up quiz.

What happened to the software that made this no longer workable?

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

The forums had to be relocated to new software - the previous forum software was found to suffer from several severe security flaws that had allowed attacks to be carried out against the forums - unfortunately, the old software was no longer being developed. As a result, the forums were "transplanted" onto this new software which, while far more secure, doesn't have some of the nicer anti-spammer functions