...replacement for ISS?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by dumbest man on earth, Apr 9, 2015.

1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I do not wish to halt the inevitable. I wish to speed it up and make it more practical. I wish you would try to make some kind of a distinction between these things. The difference is obvious.

Edit: I see that you are now doing so. I thank you.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

All true, and while I may disagree with your opinion about the importance of a space station, at least your heart is in the right place.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Being an optimist, and as I have said before, the variables of costs and politics will change over time, and eventually for the better.
    I just wish [and hope] that I'm around when we set foot on Mars.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

It will probably be on the order of hundred to a thousand years. In that sense it is time well spent to consider how best to do it, particularly since it may not be reversible once started. But the sooner started, the sooner finished.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bells Staff Member

Space always wins because it captures the imagination and the thirst to discover the unknown. It contains where we all came from and what we are made of.

Moon first, to be honest.

It would be more cost effective, is closer to home, will provide humanity with valuable insight on how to construct stations on inhospitable planets and worlds. From there, Mars and then, well, anywhere.

The ISS is valuable in that regard.

There is more science and experiments to be conducted in zero gravity then there are scientists up there to complete them.

Ask any geologist what would be better going to Mars. A robot or a geologist? We need to strive for that and to do that, we need space stations to learn how to survive in space for lengthy periods and all that entails.

Which defeats the purpose of existing in space, of testing long term exposure to zero gravity for when we are able to send people to Mars.

Actually, growing food in space is vital. Not just for the ability to grow food, but also for how such plants might recycle the very air people would breath and how they grow, how much energy is required to grow them (lights, nutrients they need, water) and how they taste and whether the vitamins, etc, are still the same when grown in zero gravity. For example, growing a miniature rose in space resulted in a plant that had a different perfume from the same plant grown on Earth. So something has changed in the plant when in zero gravity.

Whole station provides people on hand to monitor the experiments daily, and get the results in zero gravity and what is grown can be looked at in zero gravity, without bringing it back to Earth, having gravity affect the outcome and the viruses and bacteria themselves. Can't do that in a small compact sattelite.

They conducted these tests on metals, thin plates of metal. That technology is being used to create artificial retinas.

They also conducted and I think they are continuing to conduct tests and research on ultrasound technology on the ISS, which will benefit medical diagnostics on Earth.

And the list goes on and on.

Nope.

How can you have not watched those videos... It is the amazing. Not to mention they can help us here on Earth because it provides scientists with ways of finding cleaner energy. Not to mention how we dispose of our waste.

Ah, is that the problem?

Do you call for a ban on cars as well? Since they kill more people in one day than space travel has for its duration. Why drive to work when we can all just work and study from home. Too risky to leave the house!

Only two. In how many decades? I think it's pretty damn good, to be honest. It is an amazing record.

It is safer to fly in a space shuttle or a rocket to space and live on the space station than it is to drive your car down the local freeway or to your local supermarket.

Flying to Mars from Earth is too expensive fuel wise - the amount of fuel needed to leave Earth's gravity is insane. Hence why the possibility of launching from space and the moon is more cost effective and yes, which is why we need more space stations to develop ways to live in adverse environments.

We have put more into defense spending than we have into spending for scientific research. And that is not for the benefit of mankind.

We should reverse that. Be less war mongering and look at the next step. The possibilities.. *sigh*..

Most importantly, big space stations are needed to develop catapult to fling politicians and annoying entertainers into the burning sun. Priorities and all that.

Carl gets it.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I find it interesting that some people seem dead-set against returning to space because of the cost... why does it matter the cost? It is an unknown frontier... if anything, we should work towards building a massive station that can function as a future launchpoint for deep-space exploration. After all - launching a large vessel into deep-space from the surface of Earth is just incredibly wasteful in terms of propellant resources. Launch it from orbit, and you've removed a large chunk of the problem.

I say let the private industry have its run at it...

9. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Against our social costs, no: unless you are now in position to abolish the capitalist state. Until that point, we have the social obligation and responsibility to rank our results against our investments. The original goals are achievable, but there's no point in making blanket statements such as "some people are dead-set against because of the cost". Read the argument and, if you don't understand, ask.

10. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

"Build it and they will come...."

Once a station like that were built and functional, renting space would not be the real issue and just as with almost every other major space project, the spinoff consumer technology would wind up far out weighing the cost. The biggest problem we have is that people are generally short sighted, in spades for most traditional corporations, who think on a three month horizon.

I say build it, even as a staging platform for Station to Moon or Mars flights, it would be worth it.

As for the comments about the shuttle landing on a spinning station, it reminded me of an old scifi, circa late 1990's, Babylon 5. Big space station and they landed down the center axis. Still a lot of problems, but not nearly as bad. More likely a docking than an internal landing anyway. An air lock that big would be wasteful in time and air.

11. billvon Valued Senior Member

Because we don't have infinite money, so we have to choose wisely.
    You haven't really solved anything. You still have to get it there and then launch it. There is no fuel in Earth orbit, nothing you can stock up there. Indeed, if you have to take off, rendezvous with a station, and THEN leave on your mission, you will need far more fuel (= more launches, more money, more time) to get your mission to its destination.

12. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

This is my argument for automitization. Think how cheaply, and with such little risk, we could learn what we need to learn - although Mars may be a put-off. I'd like to know how direly the absence of the full magnetic layer that we have on Earth will affect our ability to use Mars. I can't think Venus would be better. Some moon somewhere?

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Indeed, we do not have infinite money. We seem to have plenty of it for waging war, squirreling away into the off-shore accounts of corporate executives, and generally throwing away.

You misunderstand - the idea isn't to launch, rendezvous, and then leave... the idea is to build the ship in orbit. Hence a large station - one that can be supplied by ground based launches (or, perhaps, a space elevator or other such method of lifting). You can build a much larger ship in orbit, one that doesn't have to withstand the rigors of escape/reentry, etc.

14. brucep Valued Senior Member

This is an interesting experimental result from an experiment being conducted in free fall on the ISS.
    http://www.symmetrymagazine.org/art...ults-create-cosmic-ray-puzzle?email_issue=733
    Free subscription right to your email. Symmetry.

15. billvon Valued Senior Member

But you can do that without a space station, as the Agena program demonstrated. (And indeed as the construction of the ISS demonstrated.) For example, most Mars exploration plans call for two to three heavy-lift launches per outbound mission - one for the crew/lander, one or two for the boost stages. They all launch, rendezvous and are on their way. What would a space station add to that process? Indeed, if you used a space station you'd need FOUR launches - three for the mission, one for the consumables for the station during that time.

GeoffP likes this.
  16. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I should add at this point: if terraforming or colonialization of nearby worlds - a year away at most - in our system is untenable... that would indeed kind of be it under my doctrine. It's not that I think it can't be done, but that without any viable improvements to velocity, what is there to do? That said, colonization of other planets is indeed a cert - there's nothing we can't do, really, if we try properly. The main question is what is properly? If we screw up, then that's our one main chance gone, barring serious developments in other technologies. There is apparently a view to worry about WRT this in my link above: that, say, CO2 sequestering could result in complete lockup of carbon, ruining the carbon cycle. Could be very tricky to start over. Or could it? We have to press on anyway, so why not give it our best try and examine restorative philosophies in the meantime.

17. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

You are talking building the ship piece by piece on earth, then assembling it in space. I'm suggesting the entire fabrication process take place in space - the ability to build ships/structures far more massive than we could ever lift to orbit, even in several pieces.

18. billvon Valued Senior Member

Then you have to lift the furnaces, the ore, the welders, the wire extruders, the tools, the oil, the refinery, the chemical processing plants . . . . and thousands of workers, and food and other consumables for all of that. The costs would dwarf the GDP of the entire planet.

And why would there be a limit on how big a ship we build from pieces? The ISS is probably bigger than we ever need a spacecraft to be (at least for the next century) and we built that in pieces.

19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

In time, we must approach this as a united effort. Even just to Mars should be a united effort.
    I know that at this time, taking into account the state of society and the conflicts that seem to present themselves with monotonous regularity, that may seem a dream. But things have improved throughout the ages, and I believe that will continue.
    Maybe I have watched too much Star Trek, but I truly see an optimistic approach, far more beneficial and closer to reality, then throwing ones hands up in the air and despairing.
    Hence why I included Geoff's little quote.
    Lives are going to be lost, let's be realistic about it, but we always gain knowledge from the things that go wrong.
    The 20th Century hero, Neil Armstrong, came close to losing his life twice from memory, as a test pilot, and even the early Gemini missions came close to disaster by simply "ignoring" Newton's laws of motion.
    I still see an operational space station as part of our inevitable progress into space exploration, positioned at one of the Lagrange points.
    That appears to be the "stalling point" in this debate.
    We all seem to be realistic enough to realise that space exploration is necessary and inevitable. Will a permanent space station be a part of this?
    I believe it will and we should always have one up there.
    I see Asteroid retrieval and mining as also beneficial.
    If we screw up, that will slow the pace somewhat...but we learn and proceed again.
    Our inevitable venture to the rest of our solar system, then onto the stars will be fraught with danger. But that will not stop progress.
    We may need new physics, and as yet unknown applications of present physics. [the possibility of spacetime warps etc]
    We have orginizations I have mentioned before, all run by reasonably reputable people.....http://100yss.org/mission/team http://www.tauzero.aero/
    Then we have http://www.mars-one.com/ and http://www.planetaryresources.com/
    Ambitious? Most probably, Impossible to achieve within quoted time frames? maybe......
    Space stations, Asteroid mining, Moon bases, Manned Mars efforts, Interstellar voyages, are all desirable in my opinion, as are other dreams.
    Dreams like.......
    http://motherboard.vice.com/read/why-we-should-build-cloud-cities-on-venus

As long as we have people taking these dreams seriously, there is always hope, and in fact time will eventually overcome the economic and political barriers that maybe slowing the inevitable.

20. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Little quote? Please. It was a giant.

Looking ahead to the Geoffian future

21. Bells Staff Member

Is it me, or is the person in that photo looking back towards the beach...? So hardly looking ahead. More like looking backwards.

22. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

No, no: he's looking back on the right path taken from the future, which he owns, because he took the right path. He guards the future - the guardian of the future.

See? Very inspiring.

23. Bells Staff Member

He's guarding a fallen down tree trunk.

He's looking back on his path and he is thinking why oh why was his path a fallen down tree that stops at the water's edge. Not to mention he has no where else to go because he's not wearing pants.

Now this..

This is a vision of the past and of our future.

This is the path...

Plus, he's wearing pants.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015