Religious Nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a high probability a scripture somewhere at sometime would have supported that choice.
A couple of examples. Australia;
Man who killed wife in front of children 'because she didn't want him to join Islamic State' jailed
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-...desire-to-join-islamic-state-sentence/9600134
US:
Defense attorney Julie Clark admitted Hussain beat his wife — but argued that he is guilty of only manslaughter because he didn’t intend to kill her. In Pakistan, Clark said, beating one’s wife is customary.
https://nypost.com/2014/05/21/man-charged-with-killing-wife-after-she-made-him-the-wrong-dinner/

Any murder can be rationalized. "When I got home from work, supper wasn't on the table. I had to kill my wife. I had no choice."
As you can see above, this guy did get his dinner but it is not what he wanted.
So; "Off with her head"!

Any murder can be rationalized. "When I got home from work, supper wasn't on the table. I had to kill my wife. I had no choice."
Sure.
I mean looking at the historical context, that's also the first thing that comes to my mind also.
Just as well that I have recourse to well researched atheist web sites to help me understand these topics.

Just as well that I have recourse to well researched atheist web sites to help me understand these topics.
I didn't get that story from an "atheist website". I got it from one of my teachers who used to work in a prison. He said that almost every prisoner had two characteristics:
1. They were born losers - the type who would leave their wallet at a crime scene.
2. They were all innocent - i.e. they had "no choice" but to do what they did.

He might well have added that most of them were theists.

Sure.
I mean looking at the historical context, that's also the first thing that comes to my mind also.
You need not look at historical records very far back, just recent news gives plenty of case history.

I didn't get that story from an "atheist website". I got it from one of my teachers who used to work in a prison. He said that almost every prisoner had two characteristics:
1. They were born losers - the type who would leave their wallet at a crime scene.
2. They were all innocent - i.e. they had "no choice" but to do what they did.

He might well have added that most of them were theists.
Apologies.
Didn't realize we were suddenly talking about your story.

When Bill Maher asked the question "would you swim in the pool if there was only one turd"....should have added " let alone a pool that is nothing but turds".

Bye all.

Alex

When Bill Maher asked the question "would you swim in the pool if there was only one turd"....should have added " let alone a pool that is nothing but turds".

Bye all.

Alex
His notion of having recourse to a swimming pool without turds is a good indication of a type of self-serving magnanimity.

His notion of having recourse to a swimming pool without turds is a good indication of a type of self-serving magnanimity.

When the Sun sets in the saucer of milk the cat will sing to the cuckoo clock.

Bye for now dont forget to answer my questions☺
Alex

Sure.
Newspapers.
History text books.
"What's the difference?", right?
Oh, are you really going to propose that mainstream news is "fake news"?

p.s. History books are written from news accounts. How else does one compile historical records?

"In the beginning was the word". Now that is spontaneous news, no newspaper account of that available, so let's just make it up..........:rolleyes:

Last edited:
If you want to cite them as exclusive tools to discerning social norms from more than 2500 years ago, sure.
Yes, that's why oral news from those days is called myth. And the hieroglyphs on stone slabs were not very specific;
The Sumerian archaic (pre-cuneiform) writing and the Egyptian hieroglyphs are generally considered the earliest true writing systems, both emerging out of their ancestral proto-literate symbol systems from 3400–3100 BC, with earliest coherent texts from about 2600 BC.
upload_2018-9-5_20-14-21.jpeg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_writing#Developmental_stages

Last edited:
Archeologists, Anthropologists and in fact anyone remotely related to the professional field of history, begs to differ.
No they don't. There are still many hieroglyphs which have not been translated. No alphabet.

Moreover this was only meant for the "initiated". No one else could read at all. That's why public announcements were made by oral declaration. Remember the town crier as recent as 18th century.
The town crier can also be used to make public announcements in the streets. Criers often dress elaborately, by a tradition dating to the 18th century, in a red and gold coat, white breeches, black boots and a tricorne hat.
The printing press was not invented in Europe until the 1439
The printing press spread within several decades to over two hundred cities in a dozen European countries.[5] By 1500, printing presses in operation throughout Western Europe had already produced more than twenty million volumes.[5] In the 16th century, with presses spreading further afield, their output rose tenfold to an estimated 150 to 200 million copies.[5] The operation of a press became synonymous with the enterprise of printing, and lent its name to a new medium of expression and communication, "the press".
And most of those millions of volumes were bibles. The church was the only commercial enterprise rich enough to afford the necessary supplies. And as far as news is concerned the church is a notoriously unreliable source.....:) I need not spell it out.

Last edited:
For every googlable meme there is an equally googlable explanation
https://forums.catholic.com/t/numbers-31-17-18-how-to-defend-this/114421/2

While I’m not certain as to the precise nature of your question, the quote is in specific reference to the Midianite women and children who were taken captive after Israel defeated them in battle. The rationale for killing the male children is so that they don’t grow up seeking revenge. The rationale for the killing of the women was that they were the ones who had gotten Israel into the whole mess (read several verses previous):

“So you have spared all the women!” he exclaimed. "Why, they are the very ones who on Balaam’s advice prompted the unfaithfulness of the Israelites toward the Lord in the Peor affair, which began the slaughter of the Lord’s community."
Num 31: 15-16
///
Anyone who believes that is justification is evil as evil gets.

<>

No they don't. There are still many hieroglyphs which have not been translated. No alphabet.
And many have.
Which is why many such professionals, even to this day, still get hired or fired according to performance criteria.

And many have.
Which is why many such professionals, even to this day, still get hired or fired according to performance criteria.
Thanks for the disclaimer of your post #676...:biggrin:. One has to be an initiate, no? No alphabet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back