Religions are fairy tales for adults. Should we encourage them to grow up?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Greatest I am, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

That jokes are not worth killing over and that hairless Jews should expect young children to have a bit of fun by ridiculing them and that bald men should just live with that bit of ridicule and be quick to forgive it.

What do you see as the deeper meaning?

Regards
    DL

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Prescriptive ideologies of any kind begin as suspect "fictions". Though once adopted they may cause some of the items they advocate to be realized (whether the results are constructive or destructive). Even the descriptive ones, as interpretations of what [some] humans are supposedly already doing, can accordingly be inaccurate or fail to capture everything by virtue of being such formal generalizations abstracted from particular circumstances and events.

There's no weaning of humans from what they invent: Either the loose folk frameworks or the more rigidly coherent systems. Other then de-evolving them back to an atavistic stage which lacked a knack for abstract thought and models. Limited to any instinctive reactions primates came natively equipped with, which might not fully qualify as a legitimate plan or template or tool for conceiving their circumstances.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

Telepathy is unproven and has never been duplicated. It is still firmly in the realm of pseudoscience, and adults generally discount it as a real phenomenon.

Should people encourage you to grow up?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The opposite. Don't ridicule your elders or God will kill you in horrible ways.

8. wellwisher Banned Banned

The old guy saw the 2 bears and was climbing up, to get around the bears without disturbing them. The dumb ass boys were so distracted making sport of the old bald guy, they were not aware of the two bears. The old guy curses the boys to get the F-away. This was because of the bears, But the boys were too stupid to understand he was trying to help them.

Bears do not just materialize out of the void and can be dangerous.

9. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

I am not an expert on de-programming the indoctrinated and brainwashed but experts seem to think that they can reverse such things. The fact that Christian who have been programmed to hate gays for all of these many generations turned away from their ugly homophobia in just a couple of generations on their own so I tend to think that the mentally ill can be helped.

You may have a point for the really dumb. They may be damaged by their religion forever.

Regards
    DL

10. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

They do and I ignore them because I have facts, not faith.

I also have a bit of scientific backing.

Regards
    DL

11. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

That is the literal and has no depth. Depth of though does not make God look like an immoral prick.

Regards
    DL

12. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

I like this better than the more literal views from spidergoat.

Regards
    DL

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

So you're inventing things to sweeten up the Bible, because a vengeful God isn't compatible with modern morality.
    Why don't you just write your own Bible then?

14. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

The world has enough books of myths and would not likely buy it.

Are you volunteering to ghost write, proof and edit it?

If so, I might reconsider.

Regards
    DL

15. billvon Valued Senior Member

People who are bigots - who believe that they can judge someone based on the color of their skin, their religion, their sex, their sexual orientation or their handicaps - make this forum a worse place. Should we encourage them to grow up?

16. danshawen Valued Senior Member

17. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Certainly, if you want to change the nature of God to better represent your values, you should write your own book about your insight into the divine; that is, should you want to be a prophet for the new age. However, you better be willing to back it up with some miracles to impress those that you wish to entice with your moral dictates. Honestly, how can you offer anything more alluring than heaven and eternal life? Atheism and carnality will take you only so far 'til you hit a brick wall. It's a lonely path that leads only to death in the end. You can't compete with the promises offered by Christianity or it's competitor.

18. Kristoffer Giant Hyrax Valued Senior Member

Please supply proof that heaven and eternal life is actually a real thing, not just a crutch for those afraid of death.

19. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

How could I possibly offer proof? I've never been.

20. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

That was funny. lol

21. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Why? Are you afraid to be seen as immature?

Regards
    DL

22. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

I agree. I cannot. They have grabbed all the good lies already.

All I have is a better moral value than what they offer in case any so called believer wants a religion that is not homophobic or misogynous.

Regards
    DL

23. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

So, you're offering them homosexuality and feminism in exchange for their devotion to your moral authority?