religion

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by lotuseatsvipers, Jul 11, 2002.

1. lotuseatsvipers CloseMindedBob Registered Senior Member

if something is indeed an illusion(see freud on religion), but makes you happy, is there really something inherently wrong with that? 'ignorance is bliss' type of thing perhaps. I've been wondering about this lately.

and hello all, as im a newb around here. 21 EE major at fsu, just thought id drop a high in my first post

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Welcome to sciforums, lotuseatsvipers. How's the weather in Fla?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Is there something wrong with it? Morally you mean?

Well, everyone has different morals. I don't think it's wrong, it's just plain stupid and weak. If someone needs an illusion to let them function normally they are a weak human being and no more advanced than the 7 year olds right before they figure out santa isn't real.

Oh, and welcome to sciforums.com

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Hi Lot,

Welcome to sciforums.

My purpose in life is to be happy. My nature is analytical and I find pleasure in seeking truths. Others who do not have an analytical outlook can be quite happy whether what they are offered is true or not. In this respect if religions make such people happy then no I do not see any harm in that.

However, if there is a greater purpose such as ensuring the survival of the human race and making life more enjoyable or productive then pursuing delusions is unlikely to result in any practical benefit. In this respect religions should be discouraged.

However, the human race is comprised of significant diversity, some will be passengers and others will make things happen. Religion might make the passengers happy, so be it, as long as religions do not interfere with those that help with human evolution.

Cris

8. lotuseatsvipers CloseMindedBob Registered Senior Member

i think thats incredibly harsh, I imagine that you yourself live plenty of daily illusions. I can't prove that, but its unlikely that everything you believe is true. simple things maybe...my wife still loves me....my car is the fastest....
    they make us feel happier even if they aren't true (sorry they were bad examples but its all I can think of right now).

happiness is incredibly important, it makes us want to continue on. It is lifes purpose in the sense that without it, the purpose of ensuring the survival of human life would probably never be able to occur (everyone would mope around, maybe kill themselves, maybe not care enough to procreate....bad stuff!). thats how I see it anyways.

I agree with you cris.
    thanks for the inputs and welcomes!

9. lotuseatsvipers CloseMindedBob Registered Senior Member

and thanks, the weather is great, besides the daily rain, but I guess one can't have everything!!!

10. Tyler Registered Senior Member

How does religion make a person happier? Because they feel safer in thinking there is an afterlife? Because the like the idea of a god? Because it makes the world feel more secure?

All just weakness. Some people need these promises to accept the reality around them. This is a weakness.

Telling yourself little lies is similar, yet extraordinarily smaller and less significant than basing your whole life around a lie. If someone based their entire life around a lie other than religion I would say the same thing about it.

11. Squid Vicious Banned Banned

We all do that Tyler, to one extent or another. Those whose lie is religion have merely formed a coherent platform of lies from which to proceed, whereas the rest of us have a more chaotic approach to our daily delusions.

However in the main I tend to agree with you in that religion is a crutch.

12. lotuseatsvipers CloseMindedBob Registered Senior Member

that was sort of the point of the thread. saying religion IS a crutch is that still bad.

well lets imagine what its like to believe theres something out there all powerful all loving and all knowing, and actually gives a shit whats happening to you....funny im starting to feel happier already

on top of this I don't see most of religions effects altogether destructive. sometimes some people become zombies and just walk around in a stupor everyday spouting ignorant things, but you know what? those people would be the same with or w/o religion. In fact these people might well be VERY destructive to society if we didnt have religion, who knows?!

sorry, I realized now that this belonged in the religion folder, oh well, spice things up a little bit!

13. Shadowstrife911 Hail the Shredder! Registered Senior Member

It really depends on the way you look at it. In one respect religion has done a lot of good to the world through aid sent to third-world countries to help dying people. In this case, the morals of religion are doing good but in most other cases, religion causes discrimination and hatred. I guess its something we will have to live with as long as we fear the end of our existence, the idea of eternal life after death is comforting to some.

14. Firefly Registered Senior Member

Hello.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, until it gets in the way of other people, anything from trying to convert them to killing people in war.