Religion Sub-Forum Moderation

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Prince_James, Dec 28, 2006.

1. lightgigantic Banned Banned

have you ever encountered a theistic post that you didn't consider bullshit or even felt reservation in expressing that consideration?

thats ok - but when you feel you have a license to ad hom and are free to issue it to your atheist chums as well it makes for the OP of threads like this
    or do you mean it is a gathering site for atheists to ad hom theists?
    I don't want any of those things - but civilized discission would be nice for a change

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

that's the point - it is not discussed - or at least it is not discussed amongst persons like yourself, much like nothing is discussed amongst a person who constantly ad homs and is subject to coarse derogatory language
    flaming is scientific?

just have to count the times "utter bullshit" arise along with a stead fast refusal to discuss the general principles you utilize to come to such conclusions
    then I suggest you attend some classes on giving a critique because at the moment you seem to rant like a football hooligan at the mere mention of the word "god"
    congratulations - you have an opinion
    Now if you want an intelligent discussion you move on to part two - "why?"

This is the problem - the extent of your answering the "why" is "because I think so", mixed in with the token flaming/ad hom etc

Like for instance I could saythat your posts remind me of a number of absurd, repulsive. infantile, nasty, malicious, stagnant things, but until I move onto 'why", I am just using your posts as a canvas to paint with colourful terminology

Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. imaplanck. Banned Banned

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Indeed it is. There is a rich history of flaming wars going on in science. Up to a point that data didn't matter anymore, just opinion.

The great debate between Geoffroy Saint-Hilaire and Cuvier comes to mind.

Or the greatest flame master of them all, Louis Pasteur. He bullshitted himself through many a meeting flaming all opposition into submission.

And of course, a great deal of time is nowadays still spend finetuning the flaming skills of scientists.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lightgigantic Banned Banned

then why is flaming against the ground rules here with repeat offenders liable to receive infractions and possibly banning?

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

This is not science. This is a forum.

9. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I guess that means if you want to flame someone here you have to be scientific about it

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

No, you have to play the game. In this case being scientific makes it easier to flame. On another forum being religious (of the proper religion) makes it easier to flame.

There are many parameters that influence how far you can take the flame. There is no fixed recipe. I've taken it further in the past than most without receiving a ban or warning. That's because certain parameters were acting in my favour at the right time.

It's a game. And you have to play it well. And you can play it best by pushing the opponent over the edge without crossing the edge yourself.

That said constant flaming will earn nobody any favours. Your perceived value to the community will drop, which is one of the parameters to keep in mind. A major parameter is of course the local mod or the general admin. In your case this seems to be the biggest problem. The mod is not behind your case. And you will therefore be required to put extra effort in your posting. I'm now not making a judgment on this being wrong or right. It is just how it is.

You have options though. You can adjust your style of posting in that particular subforum. You can play the political game and try to get an extra moderator that is more favourable towards the theists case.

You can also adopt the strategy of being above the flaming. This will earn respect of many people, even those that oppose you, and you can subsequently build on that.

And then there is a whole shitlist of other options.

In any case, I cannot really sympathize with your case since I don't really value the opinion of a theist very much.

11. phlogistician Banned Banned

How could he, when there is no honesty in the theistic viewpoint?

Also, you seem to think that a religious subforum on a scientifc board will not have some leanings towards the scientific viewpoint.

That is absurd, just look at what 'Creation Science' does to real science! it perverts science by ignoring data, at least nobody is perverting your religions, by reinterpreting your scriptures!

12. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

LG - if you think that a mod is being unfair - in that he is contravening the very rules that he makes others abide by (e.g. flaming, ad homming etc) then - and this is where the science bit comes in - collect the EVIDENCE and present it to the Administrator (or whoever it is who decides who moderates) and let them be judge / jury / executioner etc.

Your actual greivance is with the Mod(s) - not with the fact that he/they might be theist or atheist.
    Having a theist Mod will therefore NOT resolve the issues you feel you are having with the Mod(s) in question.

Go forth and collecteth the evidence, says the Sarkus.
    On that alone should a Mod be judged.

13. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Obviously if the people doing the judging are biased, the whole ordeal is fruitless

14. Ayodhya Registered Senior Member

samcdkey - What the hell is that kitty doing in your avatar?

Aye - 2 (Ayodhya, Athelwulf)
    Naye - 2 (Prince James, samcdkey)

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its a mouse dancing on a kitty's belly, i.e. belly dancer.

16. lightgigantic Banned Banned

another "you are wrong because you are wrong" argument - anyway take it to the religious forum if you think it is valuable

no
    But I would have hoped that it would have a leaning towards civilized discussion and the coherant presentation of ideas

so you assume that a theist who is a scientist has an intrinsic conflict of interest/
    Just see your bias ....

17. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

I do not know who the administrators are - so can not answer that allegation - but surely if you pick up a Mod on his bad "Modding" rather than anything else then there can be no cause for bias.

Do you have evidence of bias toward assessment of moderating, by the Administrator(s) or by other Moderators?

Or is this merely bias on your part?

18. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Yes, he has my testimony.

I'm definitely biased. I'm not assigning the same weight to pseudoscience as I do to science, nor do I favour conspiracy theories very much. Members who try to push a political agenda based on pseudoscience or try to push conspiracy propaganda might have a harder time at the forum I moderate then people who have a genuine interest in science.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats not really comparable.

Biology and genetics is a peer reviewed field based on objective analysis of repeatable experiments.

Religion by definition is based on faith. Art and Culture by definition is subjective.

Apples and oranges.

20. phlogistician Banned Banned

I won't go as far as sayng you are wrong, just that theists have yet to present anything right.

OK, you start with the coherent presentation of ideas. No rambling cut and paste jobs from scripture, establish your point, from first principles please.

Riiiight, you obviously aren't up to speed with your reading. Check out 'Creation Science' and see that these people indeed DO have a bias. They discard anything that conflicts with their foregone conclusion that the bible is correct. Not all theist scientists are 'creation scientists' but that is the example I used, so argue within that.

21. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I have a mod on my ignore. He had been on there since before he became one, though — but I'm fairly sure he was still there in the time just before I accepted my modship. So was this fixed or what?

Jah!

22. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I wonder: What kind of theist should we appoint?

We could go for a monotheist. How about a plain-vanilla Christian? Oh, but what about the Jews and Muslims? A Christian mod could ignore the complaints brought to them by a Jew or a Muslim as easily as an atheist. So let's have a Jew and a Muslim too. But which kind of Muslim? Aren't there a lot of sects in Islam? Maybe we should just get the most active member from each of those sects, so it's all fair.

Uh oh, the Catholics and Mormons are complaining that their brand of Christianity is underrepresented because our Christian mod is Protestant. We should appoint them too. And oh yeah, the followers of the Flying Spaghetti Monster want to be represented too, so we should let them know our forums are touched by his noodley appendage by making one of those people a mod too.

Phew. I think that's about it.

Wait a minute... Shit! Polytheists still aren't represented. Let's get them in there too. And...

And...

*Throws up*

23. imaplanck. Banned Banned

If the spaghetti monsters get a mod I want one for my vegetable garden fairies? I demand my sacred toilet paper be represented!