Religion Sub-Forum Moderation

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Prince_James, Dec 28, 2006.

1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Do you know, I think you're the first person on sciforums ever to ask that direct question to me. I wondered how long it would take. About 6 years, it seems.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The answer is: I'm a weak atheist (I think that is the correct term for it). Until not too long ago, I would have said I was an agnostic, but my beliefs have shifted enough in the last few years that I think it's fair to say I'm no longer a true agnostic in the technical sense.

My experience of sciforums is that people of a particular religious belief tend to be quite one-sided in that belief. What we have here, under our atheistic moderation, is a forum where the Muslim, for example, is on equal footing with the Christian - something quite rare on internet forums discussing religion, I imagine.

I don't think all theists would necessarily be biased moderators, but I've seen many people on this site who I would have reservations about.

The only remaining question is whether there is a bias against religion itself. Speaking personally, I am quite happy if people want to discuss aspects of their beliefs. If people want to debate the meaning of Psalms 12:15, that's fine with me - that's part of what this forum is here for. But the funny thing is, people mostly never do that here. Instead, they want to play the "my religion is better than your religion" game, and more often than not they want to play the game as an atheists vs. theists game. Maybe it's actually because there is a higher-than-normal population of atheists on sciforums than on other religion forums. But then, that's a good thing, isn't it? Theists don't often get the chance to actually debate their faiths with non-believers; they tend to mix with other believers. A solid faith should surely be able to stand up to anything a mere atheist could throw against it?

I can't see the atheist moderators actually censoring any discussion here. Can you? If they did, that would be a problem which would need addressing. But other than that, I can't see any real problem with the moderators as things stand.

My policy here is fairly "hands off", especially since we have 2 other moderators who do an excellent job.

But maybe you have in mind examples where debate has been stifled?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bells Staff Member

Yes I have. Thankfully it's not as bad as the stomach is at the moment..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

----------------------------------------------------

As to the topic at hand..

I think it might make better sense to have someone who is an atheist moderating a religious sub-forum. Having a person who had theistic tendencies could result in bias for one particular belief system or against other belief systems.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

i've often wondered the same thing. 3, count 'em, 3 mods for one forum, all atheist.
    the question we need to ask is "what exactly is to be discussed in the religion forum".
    this is, in essence, a science board therefor it's safe to assume the topics discussed in the religion forum will, or should, fall along those lines.
    topics such as religion vs. evolution belongs there.
    "preaching the bible" does not.

i can see why it would take 3 mods and why they are atheist.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

As to why it takes 3 moderators: first, 2 of them do most of the work. Second, people seem to have trouble controlling themselves.

The three topics you aren't meant to discuss in polite dinner-table conversation are: politics, religion and sex.

Which topics on sciforums see the most heated debates? Three guesses.

8. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

James R.:

I'm quite honoured, then! Very amusing and interesting that no one has out and out asked your religious affiliation in that time, though.

Would you mind elaborating? Would you say you are rather like, say, Bertrand Russel rather than a Daniel Dennet or Richard Dawkin?

This is a good point. However, can you not also see a situation where both Moslem and Christian are held to be inferior to the Atheists? Although I am not willing out right say that Atheists are immune to moderation on the religion board, it would seem that some users are indeed given a hard time by other members, when if the tables were turned, such would not occur.

Again, perhaps not systematic bias, but I think this could be rectified by giving -one- theist - specifically good, non-partisan theists - a chance. LightGigantic is hardly going to attack a Christian for not being a Hindu, nor TheoryOfRelativity a Buddhist for not being her "general Theism".

I am not suggesting an Adstar or Lixluke, mind you.

I agree totally, but Theists should have at least -one- representative out of three to make sure they are being treated failure.

I'd say they are sometimes hostile to some Theists through omission. LightGigantic is ragged upon horribly and no one does anything. Others get away with similar behaviours.

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I'm not sure of the nuances of the views of Dennett or Russell. I'm fairly conversant with Dawkins, and while I agree with him on many issues I disagree with his view that religion has no redeeming features of any kind. In general, though, I think both Dennett and Dawkins are on the side of Right and Good. They aren't out to lynch people who disagree with them. They want to provoke discussion.

Yes, certainly. I've seen it happen right here, where a bunch of self-described atheists attack theists for being inferior. Usually, those kinds of atheists don't actually have good reasons for their atheism. They tend to be teenagers who see atheism as part of their general rebellion against the authority of their parents and others who are older and wiser than they are.

I'm not so sure. I've also seen some lively discussions in which atheists have been strongly attacked by massed groups of theists.

I think it goes both ways, and I think a certain amount of it is both unavoidable and tolerable on a religion forum like this one.

If things get out of hand, I urge anybody who is really offended to hit the "report" button. Or, as things stand, you can actually hand out infraction points to misbehaving members who break the rules.

10. Meanwhile Banned Banned

"If things get out of hand, I urge anybody who is really offended to hit the "report" button. Or, as things stand, you can actually hand out infraction points to misbehaving members who break the rules."

Glad you brought that up. I don't seem to be able to find any records entailing the tallies. Is it confidential information until we're hit on the head with an infraction, like, pre-banned??

11. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

James R.:

Well put.

Agreed. It is a mark of immaturity and insufficient reason when an Atheist is completely vicious to Theists. However, I worry if some of that viciousness displayed, at times, to religious posters is not tolerated a bit more.

Here on Sci?

I shall certainly be judiciously employing such, however, I still maintain that the presence of at least one theistic moderator would do more to assure these things are not usual.

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Click on the user's name and you should be able to see their list of infractions in their profile (unless only moderators can see them...)

13. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

Moderation is not about 'equal representation'. Either you assess the moderator's actions based on what he/she is expected to do or you leave them alone. Your argument is as logically defective as a person who insists a president who has lived all their life in the country is the only one who knows whats best for the country. If you have examples of where the moderators have failed, present them. If they are arguing from their own personal beliefs but have not shown any predilection for closing down theist's threads then I see no problem.

And no, meanwhile, MW is NOT the moderator to look for...

Oh, and there was a time back in the day when not only were there a lot more theists active in the Religion forum, but discussion was actually 'delightful', if not pleasant. I remember the good old days when Proud Muslim used to be active on the boards. That was the heyday of the Religion forum.. Now no one worthwhile bothers to post because we have threads derailed in the first 2 responses by imbeciles like Baron Max and sderenzi.

14. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

I remember you saying elsewhere on the board that you were agnostic.

15. lightgigantic Banned Banned

the problem is that scoring infractions and replying abuses of persons who are mods is completely fruitless

while I do agree that the ability to moderate should not be determined by one's predilection, its obvious that having a team of atheists as mods could lead to an 'inherant' blindness in following up on transgressions of ettiquette for intelligent discusion - for instance there are numerous atheists who are capable of intelligent discussion (if they weren't they wouldn't be able to get books on the shelves of academic circles by labelling theism as "Bullshit" etc), but when that gets sold out to mod endorsed and even mod emmanating ad homs, the discussion gets derailed

Or to speak very frankly, why do I have to deal with skinwalker moaning about "poppy cock/bullshit/plagurizing" on every thread? What would happen to me if I hung off every thread of someone else and labelled them in such nasty terms, regardless of the thread topic and what was posted?
    And why was satyr able to get away with doing that to me unchecked?
    And why does skinwalker do the same to a lesser degree?

personally this is my perception of the mods

JamesR - impartial and equipoised, but not really present in the forum - seems like he is more into hitting on to sock puppets and advertising spammers

Cris - not impartial, but capable of coming close to it by dint of his intelligence and reasoning - also a bit absent on the field - he has to be really pushed to bring notice to someone who is off the wall (seems like he usually locks nutcase theistic threads and thats about it)

Skinwalker - not impartial - has a personal vendetta against the intelligent discussion of religion (unless of course it falls within his personal tastes of what he considers to be truth) - has a very open ear to the claims of atheists - and in fact canvases for it, but remains totally deaf to any complaint from a theist on the same grounds

If it was possible to add skinwalker to the ignore list, perhaps it would be more tolerable. The religious thread was not so bad before skinwalker came on as a mod - I would like to see him lose his status as a mod, but of course that will never happen

It would be good if there was a theistic mod on board - my personal vote goes to sam since she seems capable of handling a scene of unanimous animosity with intelligence and reason.

even this might disturb the status quo of the ruling atheists so perhaps it could be better to bring on a more reasoned atheist such as Prince James (although it might get a bit confusing with two mods named james)

16. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

The question is is he using his position and powers as a mod to disrupt discussion? Or is he just a moderator with an opinion?

If the former, then you have a right to bitch.
    If the latter, then you should get over it.

Skinwalker's always been there in the religious forum bashing the religious. You'll find him in pseudoscience and parapsychology as well.
    It's his hobby.

Just because he's now a mod doesn't mean that he should give up his hobby, now does it?

17. lightgigantic Banned Banned

no -thats why i think the solution is to bring in someone else as a mod - when someone is on the rampage with their value system that is ok - when they become doubley haughty from the pearly towers of mod ship by doctoring posts to suit their needs interests and concerns and are immune to infringements and ignore listing it makes minesweeper intriguing

18. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

You're accusing Skinwalker of editing the posts of those he is debating in order to gain an unfair advantage over them?

19. lightgigantic Banned Banned

nothing quite so direct - I mean he doesn't edit the content (although he has canvassed for atheists to give him a vote of confidence to send a thread I was participating in to the cess pool - http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=1244387&postcount=59)- its more like he will go on with a diatribe of antagonism within a thread and if after responding abusively to refined requests for clarity and examination of the thread issue at hand, one responds by suggesting he is slightly silly, he deletes one's post to the effect of "don't you know its against the rules to ad hom" - its more an issue of haughty hypocrisy - it seeems like he would prefer to discuss religion in the assembly of atheists, or more correctly have an assembly of whimpering theists to bow down before him while he slaps the backs of his atheist chums

Its kind of like modship transforms run of the mill ad homming into over the top ad homming that disregards any pretense of civility.

20. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

he specifically deleted posts of mine in the history forum...documented, referenced posts....for no particular reason, as far as i can see.

21. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

What is evident above, with regard to LG, is that he is upset that someone with an opinion that summarily rejects his silliness as valid arguments has found status as a moderator. At no time have I ever used my position as a moderator to further "my side" of the argument. Indeed, I've used my position on several occasions to ensure that he is not insulted or berated by other atheists who have used terms such as "moron," "idiot," and the like.

LG is upset because I deleted several of his off-topic posts, as I did with others, including those of atheists. One of his off-topic posts were clearly baiting and trolling. Instead of issuing an infraction, I deleted it, which ensured that some other member doesn't use this as an excuse to issue one.

Finally, LG mentioned above that I "canvassed for atheists to give [me] a vote of confidence to send a thread I [he was] participating in to the cess pool." Surely LG isn't daft. Anyone who looks at the post in context with his prior to that can see that I was answering his thinly veiled insult (which I did not give an unseemly infraction for) challenging me to move to the cesspool.

What is clearly occurring here is that LG has his/her panties in a wad because I'm opinionated and also a mod. Tough shit. He/she can get over it or keep crying. My money is not on the former.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  22. lightgigantic Banned Banned

The result of having to face an on slaught of mod endorsed ad homs is not one of being distraught - it is one of boredom - if, as a moderator, you are actually interested in getting a variety of views to participate in a discussion, you should think about adopting policies similar to your counterparts (cris and jamesR) and display the ability to refrain from trolling - its not that you are am opinionated mod - it is that you are an arrogant mod who feels free they can drop in with insults any time they want , such as this

couple this with your extreme reluctance to discuss the philosophical premises behind your assertions
    and wouldn't you expect an insult to be delivered?

23. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

It must be noted that LightGigantic does not even -deserve- ad hominem attacks. He is not unreasonable and he is well versed in his religion and philosophy and a competant and intriguing debater. In fact, he is the most rational Theist proponent on SciForums. If he was a lunatic like some of our whacky Christians, this would be different.

Can we not have some fairness? Can we not have professionalism? Must we flame people?

Science stems from "knowledge". As we're supposed to be scientists after a fashion, why then are we acting like ignorant bastards that must resort to insults?