Religion is stupid

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Mr. Hamtastic, Mar 17, 2009.

1. rjr6 Devout Theist Registered Senior Member

Are you trying to find common ground or be divisive?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

I'm defining religion, which you asked me to do.
    Now tell me how your scenario involves religion when it's a moral decision?
    Or are you under the impression that morals come only from religion?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. rjr6 Devout Theist Registered Senior Member

Gotta go, my apologies. I will respond at a later date.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Hmm... where's that silly, juvenile smilie LG likes?.....

Oh.. there it is-> :roflmao:

8. rjr6 Devout Theist Registered Senior Member

Oli, with all due respect, what are driving at? Excepting your submitted definition for religion for the sake of this discussion, to the best of my knowledge religions normally have a spiritual head that professes knowledge, principles values and beliefs one should follow.

I don't know what this sentence means:

"tell me how your scenario involves religion when it's a moral decision"

9. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

The thread is about whether or not religion is stupid: your scenario does not involve religion but morality, which is NOT religion.
    Morality does not stem from religion.

10. rjr6 Devout Theist Registered Senior Member

Not to be smart, please give me a definition of the word "moral".

11. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

mor·al
    Pronunciation:
    \ˈmȯr-əl, ˈmär-\
    Function:
    adjective
    Etymology:
    Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin moralis, from mor-, mos custom
    Date:
    14th century

1 a: of or relating to principles of right and wrong in behavior : ethical <moral judgments> b: expressing or teaching a conception of right behavior <a moral poem> c: conforming to a standard of right behavior d: sanctioned by or operative on one's conscience or ethical judgment <a moral obligation> e: capable of right and wrong action <a moral agent>2: probable though not proved : virtual <a moral certainty>3: perceptual or psychological rather than tangible or practical in nature or effect <a moral victory> <moral support>

12. rjr6 Devout Theist Registered Senior Member

Thank you, so we have a compromise to our understanding of these words. Why do you say that people do not derive a moral code from religion?

13. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

No, I didn't say they don't derive a moral code from religion, I said that religion is not the stem for morality. Religion may add supplementary morality.
    There are neurological/ evolutionary origins to morality.

14. rjr6 Devout Theist Registered Senior Member

Would you agree that "morality" is conformance to a set of morals, and morals are that set? They are not interchangeable to me.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  15. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Morality is conformance to a given set of morals, yes.
    "Morals are that set"? What set?

16. rjr6 Devout Theist Registered Senior Member

There are different "sets" of morals, thus different moralities, derived differently, one being religion. Have I answered your questions?

17. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

No: there ARE different complete sets but there are also underlying common moralities.
    Religion provides "extras" on top of the biological set.
    And, as you have said, religion is only ONE set.
    So, once again: morality is not defined solely by religion, therefore the given scenario is not about religion.

18. rjr6 Devout Theist Registered Senior Member

ok.

19. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

spidergoat,

Firstly. The "religious" are individual people, with individual reasons as to why they worship God. They also have individual moral codes, much like the non-religious. Some act out of fear, some don't.
    To "act morally" is different from being moral.
    A moral person, is a good person, a good person can be religious or not.

What is "religious morality"?
    Morality stems from goodness, and good intelligence. Groodness includes, kindness, compassion, fairness, empathy, humility, patience, cleanliness, and other virtues.
    What real religion does, is help to nuture these qualities, for which there are different processes.

Not at all.
    Our morals are formed through our parents, family, freinds, society, our environment. Religion is a way of understanding our selves, God, and ourselves in relation to God.

What you regard as "morals" in religious texts, highlights the position one should be in order to develop a clearer understand of oneself. For example, the 10 commandments were specifically for those people, or people in that position, because they lacked those qualities.
    Just as it is expected that someone claiming to be a doctor to have some qualification to support his title, being situated in the mode of goodness is a qualifaction to understanding more about God, and yourself in relation to him.
    It is not enough just to say you are religious, or, "i believe in God", to actually be these things in reality.

I believe there is just "morality".
    Everybody has morals, or some code which they live by.
    I believe there are different levels of morals, according to the different levels of intelligence.

If that is all we have, then we are not human, and there is no question of moral behaviour.

You make it sound as though you can turn on a switch and behave morally because it suits. I guess this is the type of thinking that comes with the idea of TOE.

jan.

20. Diogenes' Dog Subvert the dominant cliche... Registered Senior Member

Reading the above debate, I think religion is ONE basis for ethical behaviour (but perhaps not the only one). To see it as "a bunch of rules and rituals based on some deity and it's need for worship" is a complete travesty.

IMHO, religion is the belief in our inter-connectedness (etymology: latin ligo, ligere to connect or bind), which is why it is a justification for ethics.

If we are expressions of the same Source, we are finite individual parts of an infinite Whole (aka 'God'). To see ourselves as isolated units, forever at war is the road to Hell. To be an essential part of an interconnected, inclusive Whole - the road to Heaven.

That I think is what religion is all about, not the worship of some all-powerful-deity who rewards/punishes us using the 10 commandments.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. The Breaker Registered Member

Being an atheist who believes in a universal moral code is just as ignorant as being a theist.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I feel the same way. So what's with all the talk I hear about religion being the source of morality?

23. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

People say all kinds of stuff.

jan.