(Religion=Delusion) = Delusion

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by lightgigantic, Jul 20, 2008.

1. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I think if you address the cultural/moral issues presented in the OP, it will be difficult to determine how they don't

erm
    did you go further than the first paragraph of the OP?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Its difficult to see how your contributions can be viewed as controversial unless you bear some support for the theistic contribution of equality, etc.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

the same place religious ethics came from, ie what is nessary to bind the tribe into a cohesive sociaty. no nessaty for god at all

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Nasor
    I guess it depends whether you want to accept atheist hate sites or theological/linguistic/cultural studies as one's source for being informed.
    and where did they get their philosophy from?
    the backs of breakfast cereal packets?
    Well as for the norse, they are not celebrated as great upholders of moral virtue ... and neither are were their cultural achievements longstanding, so I'm not sure why you mention them. But regardless, whatever great things they achieved is certainly heavily steeped in metaphysical ideology.
    As for the greeks, it was plato who launched an argument quite similar to yours, and he played a part in establishing something more in line with monotheistic accounts by focusing on the "chos" (or void) - the chos was explained as the cause of the greek pantheon - and so he goes on to talk about an absolute realm that houses absolute versions of what we find temporal examples of here etc etc
    Just to speak in a very general sense, it might be convenient to talk of three general classes of theistic practices
    • animism
    • polytheism
    • monotheism

anyway, there are very good reasons why you find practically no philosophy in animism, a little philosophy in polytheism and a lot of philosophy in monotheism, and also why quality of morals has a direct relationship with philosophy

well suppose you look at trees as they appear in visual arts
    you can see how it is represented differently in different cultures

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

From an outsiders point of view you could say that these things have nothing in common but from the view of person actually educated and familiar with the phenomena of trees and certain cultural influences its quite clear that the subject is the same.

In the same way, i think you would be hard pressed to find any professional academic involved in the field of studying theology who advocates that the nature of god is some sort of multi-fractured cultural development that develops independently (even atheists in the field opt for arguments that god fulfills certain primal/psychological needs, since it is just plainly too ridiculous to deny the issues of similarity)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  8. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Spidergoat
    so obviously not all religions are equal (in the moral sense) - In other words you can expect very different moral outputs between animism, polytheism and monotheism - and of course you can analyze the grade even more intensely within each category.

The focus of the Op however was on what is prized as the highest moral ground of current society - equality - and how it is a theistic contribution, which is not at all unlike many other theistic contributions for improving the cultural fabric of society (eg art, architecture, literature, etc)

9. lightgigantic Banned Banned

/takes a deep breath
    :runaway:

10. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Assguard
    yet there is no historical evidence for your claim of no necessity ....

(hence facetious ....etc etc)

11. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

greenberg,

That would make them irrational, we can't have that.

JaN.

12. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Fahrenheit
    its a generic all-inclusive argument by atheism

so what are the great cultural contributions of mermaids?
    you can add faeries, orks, unicorns and satyrs too if you think it bolsters your argument
    If we are social animals, its kind of ironic how that society always coalesces around theistic/metaphysical issues.
    As for Aesops fables and Arabian nights, the theistic/cultural influences in them are more apparent and direct than the midday sun. (To say the least, I think you would have assigned yourself a very difficult task if you set out to explain how the morality/metaphysical concepts these works contain is somehow independent from the cultures they arose from ... ok maybe you could do it on sciforums, but amongst an educated forum, I doubt it)
    so what does that tell you about the truth?
    Its boring, uneventful, uninspiring?
    I guess that would make communist russia the high point of our civilization.
    Would you want to live there?

So all that is universally valuable in life has its roots in delusion?
    I see ....
    :crazy:

13. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Crunchy Cat
    thats a different argument than what atheists address in the OP
    I think we have been here before
    http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=71536
    feel free to rehash the thread, but not here, if you don't mind
    and you can't see how different value foundations (cultivated by philosophy of course) will greatly determine the response to these two question?

so where did they get the idea of freedom from?
    Burger King?
    Your observation of what exactly?

14. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Not many atheists hold the position that theists are just flat out crazy. I think many of them realize the behavior is quite natural. Anthropomorphics is a huge part of why that is.

15. lightgigantic Banned Banned

yes
    rather that they are deluded, have fantastic beliefs with no grounding in reality, etc etc

16. Myles Registered Senior Member

It is good to see you admitting your error.

17. lightgigantic Banned Banned

well at least Myles succeeds in transgressing Crunchy Cat's estimations of atheism

18. lightgigantic Banned Banned

what psychological need do you have to be equal with me?

19. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Aside from the "no grounding in reality" part (reality does have profound aspects, normally termed "spiritual", that many theisms are grounded in to some extent) that is true, of course - and theists usually share that opinion about at least some other people's theisms, of course.

That is a common and basically normal aspect of human psychology. It is not particularly insane, and most atheists do not regard it as insanity.

20. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Why would you care? Everyone's deluded about something. Atheists aren't going to hate you for it, hurt you for it, or otherwise discriminate against you for it.

21. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

We have identical needs. While we may differ in which ones are emphasized over others, we share the same list. A handful of them are:

* Security or safety.
    * Effectiveness and control.
    * Positive identity and self-esteem.
    * Positive connection and esteem for and trust in others.
    * Autonomy and self-trust.
    * Comprehension of reality or world view.

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

maslow's hierarchy

23. lightgigantic Banned Banned

so what psychological need do you have to be equal with me?

What need do you have that my level of security or safety is equal to yours
    etc etc
    ?