Religion Becomes Extinct in Several Countires

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Arkonos, Mar 23, 2011.

1. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

It's the absence of religiousity as stated in another thread.
    The things you say above have nothing to do with atheism.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lightgigantic Banned Banned

If you are doing this :

First, by bringing forward good reasons for disbelieving religious claims; second, by offering naturalistic explanations of religion.

... you certainly don't have anything near an absence of region.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lightgigantic Banned Banned

faith in money, technology, the economy, the health of your body - whatever you pin values on in your pursuit of not only survival but long term goals and pleasure

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

Please don't berate me. I already answered. Atheism is absence of religious beliefs. People here on this forum do not speak for every atheist in the world. They are individuals. It's not an atheist "value" to speak in a derogatrory manner about religious people. True that some atheists will do this. But just like not all christians burn the Quran to offend the moslem world, not all atheists post anti theist material on science forums. There are no atheist code, values or ideology. It's just the absence of religiousity. That's it.

8. lightgigantic Banned Banned

As already explained, if the opinions are derivative (IOW if all the individuals making the points are drawing upon the same essential points) and fall back on a critique of standard (arguably sub-standard) religiosity, you have an ideology.

If you want to talk about persons who don't make these points (even to themselves) then you are talking about persons outside of the knowledge base, which effectively rules them out of even the possibility of offering a critique,.
    Hence some persons are more ideological active (even if in a radical sense) than others.
    As mentioned before, ideology is so much more than merely wearing it on your t-shirt or whatever.

nonsense

here are two key points of it

First, by bringing forward good reasons for disbelieving religious claims; second, by offering naturalistic explanations of religion.

9. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/atheism

10. lightgigantic Banned Banned

fits in quite snuggly with ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideology

hence
    http://www.investigatingatheism.info/arguments.html

11. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

It's funny how religious people are very busy telling atheists that atheism is a religion/ideology/faith or other things that it's not. I wonder why this is. Would you find it offensive (assuming you're a christian) if i told you that christianity is really satanism?

12. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

Does your religion dictate that you should offend atheists?

13. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Its even more funny how atheists can launch into page after page of religious critiques while simultaneously advocating that they don't have an ideology on the strength of a person theoretically growing up in an environment where they are totally oblivious to any pending religious issues.

If you want to say that atheism is bereft of ideology, you could even say that one is a christian atheist
    :shrug:

14. lightgigantic Banned Banned

No, but much like other ideologies it does have the necessary frame work to contextualize the claims of atheists ... much like atheists have the necessary framework to contextualize the claims of theists

:shrug:

15. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

I think you confuse atheism and antitheism.

16. lightgigantic Banned Banned

lol

If you think you can be a so-called atheist (one who has no belief in god etc) without being a so-called ant-theist (one who has a range of ideas for how atheism is a reasonable position) you are simply off on some wild tangent that has absolutely nothing to do with contemporary society (or its history for the past few thousand recorded years)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

Sorry... You're wrong.

An antitheist will always be atheist but not the other way around.
    I have lots of atheist friends that aren't anti-theist. They just don't believe.

18. lightgigantic Banned Banned

You have lots of atheist friends that are totally bereft of any ideological frame work to contextualize the claims of theists?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

http://atheism.about.com/od/atheismatheiststheism/a/AntiTheism.htm

20. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I think I missed the point where he talks specifically about how atheists are totally bereft of the framework to contextualize the claims of theists.

He seems to be talking about pursuit of political agendas, as opposed to world views that frame them.

21. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

the text describes the difference between an atheist and an antitheist. What text did you read?

22. lightgigantic Banned Banned

the text says nothing about how atheists are bereft of the framework to contextualize the claims of theists ... he does talk however about a lack of political support for such ideologies ... hence my suggestion he is more about pursuing political agendas as opposed to explaining the world views that frame them.

If you think I am wrong, please cite the reference where he talks about atheism being totally bereft of the framework to contextualize the claims of theists.

23. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

Atheism is absence of religious faith by definition sir. Whatever else tendencies atheists might have are individual. Many (as the text says) will be anti theists, naturalists and what not. Whether or not an atheist "bereft of the framework to contextualize the claims of theists" is purely individual. I would guess in most cases no, but i can easily imagine an atheist who is not able to make this contextualization. I am talking about the words definition not sociology.

I do also know for a fact that there are atheists that aren't antitheistic. In fact one of my closest atheist friends said: "People are totally entitled to their beliefs as long as they don't harm any other people or proselytize". He doesn't agree with my antitheistic ways at all and thinks that i should keep my mouth shut.