Reformation of Sciforum Nation

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by (Q), Nov 1, 2009.

1. superstring01 Moderator

I gave him/her that response because I believe that there is a usually a correlation between fervently religious people and the making of specious arguments.

~String

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Ah, so if I believe blacks are dumb I don't need to provide evidence

Can dragon also believe that gays are immoral? Are his beliefs also relevant, like yours?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. superstring01 Moderator

Did I not say, already, that if it fits the tenor of the conversation and isn't trolled everywhere you go, then probably not. As I said, context is everything, SAM.

If you go into a thread on, say, Blacks & The History of Jazz and start dropping bon mots on how Negroes are just dumber than everybody else, you will probably be warned. But if the conversation at hand is covering the specific issue of racial intelligence and does not contain undue profanity and does not include a call or harm, then I can't see why you wouldn't be allowed to state your opinion where and when it is appropriate.

Again, SAM, this is my outlook and is my assessment of the outlook of most mods here. If you want a committed policy statement, then drop Plazma and/or James a PM.

~String

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

not ok

ok

i think string probably quoted a bit too much

8. Gustav Banned Banned

leave the boy be, dearie

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Fine, I accept that. Under what context is it okay to believe that gays are immoral?

Nope

Can't. You see, I believe in God

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

This is personal

10. superstring01 Moderator

SAM. I'm beginning to doubt your ability to read. Go back. Re-read what I posted. I clearly said that Draq is entitled to say and has said such things on a regular basis. Where and when they fit the conversation, nothing really can be done. When Draq's words go beyond the appropriate context of the conversation, then it can be considered trolling.

Context, SAM. And, oh, each mod is given a degree of latitude in figuring these things out. Don't want to box anybody else in. If you see an anomaly, hey, have it out with them.

~String

11. superstring01 Moderator

Context, SAM. You have the smarts to figure it out. I won't define it for you. Each situation is judged on a case by case basis. I'll be sure to PM you when I find out that's out of context as an example.

~String

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

13. superstring01 Moderator

More than likely you'll be confused by it an ask mountains of pointless questions in a effort to gain something unsubstantial.

See, there there was no issue there with Draq saying he hate's fags. 90% of the world hates gays, so no interesting figures there. People can tell me they hate gays 'till they are blue in the face and Draq obviously has some serious insecurity when it comes to sexuality and had he said, "Yep, I hate gays, so I'm going off to Russia," I would have just made some smart-assed remark and gone away. The positing of the idiotic argument that gays didn't exist in Russia was the nubbin of my reaction, not the expression of hatred per se. We all knew about that part, there was just a great deal of head scratching over factual claims (not opinions) that were left unsupported.

Tell me that you hate me, and I am okay with that. Tell me that EVERYBODY hates me, and you can bet I'll demand some figures.

~String

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Firstly, he didn't actually say anything about gays, you did. Never mind.

The point I am making here is that its not news to me that admin and mods in sciforums have a classist and racist attitude to theists here. This is evident from the kinds of threads that are not challenged or the general approval of theist bashing seen here.

What I dislike, really, is the pretence of egalitarianism or the pretence that there is any scientific method being addressed here.

15. superstring01 Moderator

I know I did. It was bundled with numerous other factors mentioned, and wasn't highlighted beyond the mere mentioning of the fact, in context, with his previous hintings. They were specifically chosen because of previous conversations with Draq that somehow Russia stood a notch above the USA/West on those specific issues. I mentioned them, specifically, to highlight his error.

Were hot-button issues selected for a purpose? Yep. Get a clue SAM, that's one of your VERY favorite tactics here, so don't pretend to be above the fray. Draq could have said, "You know what, String, I'm not fooling myself into believing that Russia is some paradise, or that it's crime free, or that gays don't exist, but it's MY homeland and I want to go back to be with MY people. . ." (or somesuch), I would have left the conversation, stunned by logic totally unusual to him. But instead, I got a brilliant response: "NO gays in Russia." As if.

Well, it is a SCIENCE forum, SAM. God and science have a tenuous existence. Every step we take into scientific development brings us further knowledge of the fact that religion is just plain wrong. History is filled with scientists and intellectuals being oppressed by religious nutjobs, so it stands to reason that a forum dedicated to SCIENCE might become hostile to people attempting to posit and defend religious nuttery.

If you feel that your religious beliefs are oppressed here in this forum, then maybe you should find a religious forum that parrots your religious beliefs so that your feelings can avoid being hurt by all these big bad atheists.

Who said there was? Religion isn't equal to science, especially on a SCIENCE forum. It's held in disdain by pretty much every mod here except, maybe, Tiassa and Madanthonywayne. If there are others, I don't know about them. If it's sympathy you're looking for, well, you will struggle finding it.

~String

16. Gustav Banned Banned

thats just absurd. we probably have theists in our families
    i would say that it is more an intellectual bigotry. contempt. shit like that

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

When it comes down to statistical correlations being applauded as "facts", then its beyond contempt. And intelligence.

Imagine if I were to applaud draqon for showing incidence of HIV in homosexuals as evidence of immorality.

Where is the intelligence in that?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  18. CheskiChips Banned Banned

1. It's possible to have religious conviction and make scientific progress, they're unrelated elements.

2. Ethics clearly have a roll in sciences endeavors, or all biologists would jump on board to eugenics and forced population control.

3. SuperString, with all of this you're parroting about "Scientific method this and that" and how science disproves religion little by little...where in the last 100 posts have you presented you know anything about either? As far as I can tell the majority of your posts are dedicated to politics or insulting religion in the name of science.

19. Gustav Banned Banned

sam
    if it is any consolation....i despise the materialists even more so than i do the theists. damn subhumans. mindless zombie freaks

/snicker

20. Gustav Banned Banned

yes
    clearly another intellectual pursuit of man. no god required

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hmm I have no feelings either way. I just dislike assholes.

Meanwhile it is interesting to see the difference in acceptability between a statement supported by scientific evidence, so to say, and one that is just plain rubbish.

Guess which one gets more excuses at psiforums?

So much for evidence over belief.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Poll results in the test threads so far:

It doesn't matter what the science says. And this is the problem with sciforums.

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Where can I find the second poll?

Edit: Oh duh.. never mind. I found it.