Recent thread closure.

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by CheskiChips, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Accusation? ALL (repeat, all of them) Cesspooled threads are closed, so sending a thread to Cesspool is equivalent with closing it.

Fucking DUH!

By the way I never namecall or accuse, but I do state the truth.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

..and this thread should be closed because it is getting boring.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gustav Banned Banned

shaddup, boy!

/kicks/stomps

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

You ought to check your facts before making accusations that somebody is lying.

Do you still insist, even after I said that the thread was not closed until after CheskiChips was banned, that it was actually closed, and that I lied about it?

You have accused me of lying. Do you still maintain that I lied, or do you retract your accusation?

You want this thread closed because you don't want to apologise for your nasty aspersions, and you've been caught out. You'd rather this just went away rather than you taking responsibility for your bad behaviour.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Gustav:

You can stay out of this thread. Post here again and I'll ban you for trolling.

8. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I checked the thread, it was in cesspool. So it is closed. I am not really concerned with the history of the thread, but if you say so, I take your word for it.

I want to get this thread closed because it reached its useful purpose, but if you guys like it, go for 500 posts, I am out of here...

P.S.: If you feel you were hurt by my "liar", and it was uncalled for, I apologize, you sensitive soul.

P.S.S.: The moral of this thread is (as a closure) that the last post of every closed thread should be by the closing moderator explaining why he/she is closing the thread. (do I really have to explain this?)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

You were concerned enough to accuse me of lying about it in a public forum.

I take it, then, that you're retracting your accusation.

Here's a short primer on how to apologise to somebody.

1. Do not start your apology with "If I have offended you...". If somebody is asking for an apology, obviously you have offended them.
    2. Unfounded accusations are always uncalled for.
    3. Calling somebody a liar when they are not is always going to be hurtful.
    4. Never add an insult or snide comment to an apparent apology; it doesn't go down well and also subtracts from the effectiveness of the apology.
    5. An apology always ought to be sincere, first and foremost. Weasel words added to an apology make it feel fake and forced.
    6. Remember that it is a real person you're apologising to, even if you only know them as a name on a computer screen. Put yourself in their position. If you had been wronged, ask yourself what kind of apology you would like. But keep in mind also that they are not necessarily the same as you.

There are two posts from me at the end of the thread in question, doing exactly that.

10. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

:m:

11. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

So does this thread address green monkeys, hypermoderation/overmoderation/censorship hypocrisy, or thread closure?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  12. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

... or Necromancy?

13. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

:runaway:

14. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

Mod Hat:

Thread closed. Invalid OP.

I told you to keep the red sharpie AWAY from that squirrel...

15. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Web 2.0: Censorship thread closed after less than 24 hours and just short of a dozen posts!!!

HA HA HA HA HA!!! :roflmao:

Progress is definitely being made.

16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The Web 2.0 censorship thread turned into another SAM "look at me!" thread, so unfortunately it had to be closed.

17. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

The thread appeared at just the right time, shortly after SAM was temporarily banned.

The chosen wording, the hints, the timing, all coincidence, I'm sure. I am wearing my tinfoil hat, but more because I'm fashion savvy.

I find it funny that such a thread posted the same day that SAM gets into trouble for "Ich bin antizionist" and with baited references has any expectation of going unnoticed. So she responds and later in the day it is shut down because she turned it into a thread about herself. Sure thing.

18. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

19. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Just for comparison for those who think "I am anti-Zionist" is an acceptable user title. How about these ones?

"I am anti-American"
    "US imperialism is genocide"
    "I support a wholely Jewish state!"
    "I am anti-Palestinian"

By the way, SAM wasn't banned.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Not true, you did ban me I got the message because I was online and the page reloaded to give me a banned message. But when I opened the browser again sometime later, the ban had been lifted, possibly by Plazma, because the page opened with a PM alert from him
    Exactly, I was under the impression it was about my user title. And I was waiting to find out why it was "hate speech". And I did PM James to ask him, but I got some BS reply saying We don't care if it is hate speech or not, We require you to remove it within the hour tic toc. I thought maybe Stryder was doing what civil people do. Giving a response instead of an ultimatum.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  21. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Uncanny phenomenon

Have you ever noticed a particular phenomenon around Sciforums whereby there might be a hundred ways to say something, but somehow people have a tendency toward choosing an expression that has potentially conflicting resolutions?

"S.A.M. wasn't banned". It's an interesting statement since, as you noted, a suspension was initiated, so it would seem false. But the end result, that the suspension was overturned, is that S.A.M., in the end, was not suspended, so there's a fair interpretation that says it's true.

This phenomenon is widespread enough, though, that one could suggest it is not consciously deliberate.

Still, though ... it's uncanny.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

if I hadn't been working on the computer and using it to chase references I would have thought after receiving the banned notice that I was off for the day, usually when I get banned I change my home page to something else so I don't keep getting aggravated by the banned message. This time I just closed the browser and reopened it some time later.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  23. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Is it? Really?