RealityCheck: moderators are trolling and treating me unfairly

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Quantum Quack, Jul 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RealityCheck Banned Banned

prometheus,

When I post an OP I expect respondents who are on-topic. I wait for all on-topic respondents before I start discussing all the replies in the fuller context. That is perfectly reasonable. Yes?

What I DON'T expect is you coming in and INTIMIDATING potential respondents with UNJUSTIFIED actions under the 'cover' of 'mod'. OK?

And I ONLY told off the trolls with those posts I made perforce of such trolls. Your troll posts were adding to the problem which forced me to post trying to get the trolls out. But you encouraged them with your continuing troll posts which were empty and more intimidation. Not one on-topic post from you. See the problem?

And I clearly indicated that ON-TOPIC replies would be responded to later when the full discussion commenced.

YOUR FAULTY 'construction' on all that is YOUR problem, not mine.

It was AN who closed the thread, but certainly based on your common 'pattern' of mod attitudes to the thread as well as his own. Else it would only have required the removal of YOUR initial intimidatory post and the other troll posts and all would have been OK and we wouldn't be discussing this now. The fact that neither of you deigned to take the time and fair reading to actually get rid of the trolls but instead (as usual for him and you) you just close the thread instead of doing your job properly.Yes?

Tha's not 'gunning for you', mate. That is pointing out the facts and wanting to solve the problem thereby. Whether you take it personally or just take note and remedy the situation is for you to decide. But don't expect someone who has been adversely affected MORE THAN ONCE by such improper/inadequate 'mod' action/attitude to be grateful, that would be too much even for such an easy-going and forgiving Aussie like me! How many times have you acted to sanction me unfairly while the trolls have gotten away and been emboldened by your apparent bias and/or inattention? The thread where Farsight and you have crossed is neither here nor there. I only wanted anything 'personal' between you two from THERE not to be brought into MY thread by YOU, as I clearly indicated. That's all there.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And like I said before, the very fact that you didn't see any other way of handling the problem of the trolls except by closing the thread is ipso facto proof that you are NOT TRYING. All you had to do was get rid of the trolls (and for yourself to either post on-topic or stay out) and all would have been courteous and polite responses and eventual full context discussion of the OP and on-topic responses to same. But the trolls won again because you couldn't see THE OBVIOUS REMEDY and just ban the trolls ON THE SPOT and delete their troll posts, period! PROBLEM SOLVED, But you left it to ANOTHER MOD to come in all UNinformed and just as 'iffy' in attitude/response to CLOSE THREAD. You abdicated your mod responsibility after you intruded into the thread and created a problem; then AN came in and added his own inept 'remedy' and closed it. What about the innocent thread/OP and the people who were interested and looking forward to a proper and courteous discussion of same on topic? Do THEY get any consideration? Or is it only THE TROLLS which deserve your leaving them alone while they wreck a thread/OP in the certain knowledge that it won't be THEM that suffers?

And Gustav's post was clearly on-topic and supported by quotes from YOUR post. The fact that you 'opined' that he was wrong and was trolling is IN ITSELF EVIDENCE of your bias there. I only pointed that out. What you seem to think is right and wrong has a lot to do with your OWN way of 'reading' others perhaps? So it's a bit rich for you to be casting me as the one with the double standards there about 'biased opinions' and 'evident facts', hey?

Now we come to the clincher:

How can anyone with such a NEGATIVE attitude as to the POTENTIAL of science sites like this be taken seriously as a supposed MODERATOR at such a science site.

Don't you realize, prometheus, that in the OLDEN DAYS it was the COFFEE HOUSES and other 'club venues' etc which were the MELTING POT OF IDEAS and DISCOURSE which allowed the cross-polination between disciplines/ideas such that there were SYNERGIES which would result in LATER advances ELSEWHERE in the lab and or in the minds of those who were present/involved and further afield?

That is the purpose of scientific discourse. To see what comes out of discussing things INFORMALLY. Heavy handed and biased/prejudicial censoring will only create a self-fulfilling prophesy that nothing will come of it.

There IS science being done, even if you don't realize it because you have already made up your mind otherwise! Open your mind and actually look carefully at some of the discourse and OP's and see that they are no different in type and import than the very things discussed in the coffe houses etc of old by the greatest minds of their day....even if they were not YET recognized as such in their day.

BE POSITIVE about science discourse IN ALL ITS FORMS and VENUES, not negative like that, mate.

Anyhow, nothing personal (really) in all this; it's just that someone has to make a stand when it gets too ridiculous for words and the trolls are the good guys and the genuine discoursers are the bad guys in your eyes/actions.

Just be loose and be fair. Take the time/care to do it right or leave it alone for someone who has the time/care it deserves.

I trust all this has been cathartic and constructive to the science discourse potential of this site and others across the internet.

Regards and no hard feelings,

From your friend in Science and Humanity, RealtyCheck.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

I think this fellow has been humored more than enough by now.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RealityCheck Banned Banned

Says one of the 'usual suspects' TROLLS who uses the mods to get threads closed as now highlighted.

Are you now going to troll here and so use the mods again to close this thread too? Too transparent, troll.

And you "think"? Trolls "think"? Evolution in action!

Now the question is: how far along your present evolutionary trajectory before you develop ethics, principles and scruples?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Dude, use bold and/or italics for emphasis. That's what they're for. There's an explicit rule against SHOUTING in the forum post rules and guidelines.

8. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

why do you think that?
    when it appears blatanty clear that reality check has legitimate complaint.
    Come to think on it...why did you post your short, patronising and unsupported comments?
    "One thing you have not realised is that we Aussies have been super sensitive to being bullshitted to, since the English Lords drove our soldiers to their deaths at Anzac Cove... WW1...."
    aint that right Mate?

9. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

Because it is never ending with this fellow. He appears to have an infinite capacity for playing the victim and taking no responsibility for his own actions. But if you are eager to read many more pages of the same just keep encouraging it. I, for one, will not read repetitive complaints from someone completely inconsolable.

10. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

and why do you feel he is repeatedly seeking a solution for his complaints?
    Is it possibly becaue like me he feels sciforums future is worth the effort?
    That like me patronising attitudes by some moderators and posters are antagonising?

11. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

I've been watching this unfold from the sidelines and felt compelled to throw my two cents in.

RC, you have the biggest chip on your shoulder of any poster I've ever encountered here. If you would calm down and stop shouting, people might be a little more receptive to your input. As it is, you are coming across like a two year old and totally invalidating any credibility that you may otherwise have gained.

The moderators here are not perfect, no one is. Including you. Take off the blinders and look at your conduct objectively. I have no axe to grind one way or the other, but the powers that be have been more patient with your antics than I have ever before seen. Are you even open at all to the concept that you are doing yourself a disservice by your actions and creating self fulfilling prophecies? Has that even crossed your mind?

Again, my hat is off to the staff in this conflict for the patience they have shown. It's now bordering on the ridiculous though. Take a deep breath and relax, RC.

If that fails, try valium. You really need a reality check. Just my take on the situation, mate...

12. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

Actually, in my experience, those that originate from Queensland (Ken Ham for one) are not immune from spouting bullshit. The Australian is also a great publisher of bullshit, aimed mostly at Australians. So I don't think this is an argument (smacking of incindery nationalism) that RealityCheck wants to adopt.

13. RealityCheck Banned Banned

I do on occasion. But when it is required often in one post (because it seems necessary to get the proper attention from an otherwise biased/skimming 'reader'), I resort to capitals just because it's less 'clunky' than the bold etc []. I and others have explained that CAPITALS don't necessarily imply 'shouting'. It's just easier and it seems to get the attention necessary so that certain readers don't keep coming back as if they NEVER SAW or READ what was posted. That is what happens when just bold etc is used. So there are convenience and necessity reasons for capitalizing as I do.

I hope you weren't offended. It was not my intention at all, mate!

In any case, I will try to do less capitalizing from now on.....since this latest episode has drawn attention to the problems faced, I may not need to keep capitalizing things because everyone concerned may be paying more proper attention in future because of all this to-do. Hey!

Cheers!

14. RealityCheck Banned Banned

Hyperbole and generalizations from a troll? Surely not!

Mate, the 'infinite capacity' here is for your trolling and trying to paint the victim based on your biased opinion only. What's new?

I took responsibility, hence this and other posts pointing to where you and your troll friends and certain mods fail to take responsibility for your own actions.

Who is inconsolable? The right thing and people doing the right job instead of trolling and adding to the problem is all that is required to console anyone here.

Ever thought of that? The right thing? Proper job? Not trolling? No? Well that's just you all over, isn't it? So don't try your "I for one..." pretense to higher moral ground. It is transparent and won't work as you intended.

Cheers troll!

15. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

There is no doubt a situation of frustration occuring on all sides.
    Can I ask you now that you have posted what you feel is the reason for signifcant decline in sciforums membership?

16. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I also note that no one has commented on this post I made regarding the sudden departure of highly respected members of the board.
    Human resource management [HRM] is also a science I might add based on hard statistical data and material evidence.

17. RealityCheck Banned Banned

HI Randwolf, pleased to meet ya!

With respect, mate, but your post contents and opinions may be based on only a partial picture. What has transpired here in this thread is only the tip of the iceberg.

Unless you are fully aware of all the facts from the original thread, to the follow-up complint thread and then to this thread, you wil be basing your judgement on partial information.

And that very thing is at the root of most of what the complaint is about the mods involved in this particular episode.

The time/care necessary BEFORE (sorry but it had to be done) making mod decisions were not applied properly, and so the thread was closed unjustifiably.

The trolls won and the OP/thread aborted. That is not the way to moderate. That is just closing and rewarding the trolls whose intent and tactics was to have thread/discussions closed down irrespective of science/merit.

So perhaps you will forgive the frustration and the 'capitals' when the system is not working except to satisfy the troll agenda? The instances are sufficient proof of that agenda and pattern, sometimes wittingly/unwittingly contributed to by the mods themselves.

I have already stated that the job is difficult and I appreciate their efforts. But when it gets beyond a certain point one either speaks up and respects the facts and the moderators enough to ay it as it is and let the remedies begin. Else we as a community will stagnate into irrelevancy and the trolls will have won.

That's a short story version. For the fuller picture you will need to appraise yourself of all the surrounding facts/context from across more than the relevant discussion in this thread.

Thanks for your interest and well meaning advice though, mate! Appreciated.

Cheers!

18. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Are you on a Mac? Are you using a Apple Safari?

If not, while typing, hold down the ctrl key, then press 'b' and see what happens.

You are a relative new-comer. You do not set the rules of the forum. You learn the rules of this forum and adopt your posting style to it. If someone who is an old hand at this forum, and has been around for as long as the forum has (or nearly so) tells you that other posters on this forum are going to interpret words written in all-caps as shouting, then you adapt your writing style accordingly.

Personally, I find your excessive use of capatilization irritating at a level I can not communicate, and detracting from the message you're trying to communicate. Perhaps if others are criticising aspects of your posting style, rather than getting in a huff over it, maybe you should stop and consider what they have to say. Personally, I find that you abuse all-caps so much that they loose their overall effectivness, and I just stop reading your post part way throught it because of how much they annoy me.

How the rest of the internet interprets all-caps

Why all caps is a bad idea

And yet your caps-lock abuse has precisely this effect.

19. RealityCheck Banned Banned

Hi guys.

Quantum Quack: I know why you alluded to that about 'aversion to bullshit' etc. It's probably true and the Aussie psyche has grown with that as part of it, but I don't think I would go so far as to say that is what drives the present reaction to what has happened with the trolls and the mods. The trolls and mods actions speak for themselves and do not require 'subtexts' for any proper assessment of same against the stadards of fairness and proper moderation. But thanks anyway, mate!

rpenner: You're right,, I don't hold grudges (you know that by now). Less still would I let such 'historical considerations' affect my observation of the facts in hand on their own merits. They are enough to be going on with, without bringing old politics and class/colonialism grudges into it, hey! Thanks for reading me right on that score, rpenner.

Cathartic? I trust so, for all our sakes and the sake of the forum in future!

Cheers guys!

20. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

Thanks Tripppy,
    Your links were helpfull to me as well...

21. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Ha fair contra...just wanted to say something like:
    "You can fool some of the people most of the time but not all of the people all of the time" sort of thing or similar.

22. RealityCheck Banned Banned

True. I have been 'capitalizing' too much. The other poster has pointed that out and I agreed with him. I agree with you also. I will try to stop that habit arising from frustration.

Thanks for the advice, Trippy, everyone!

Will comply!

Cheers!

PS: Sorry I cannot divulge details as to computer hardware/software etc, but I have a strict policy of not divulging such information. No offense implied. Just policy of longstanding with me. You understand. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post that info though, Trippy. Much appreciated all round.

23. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

and we will ensure you hold to your word eh what?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.