Real IDs vs Fake IDs: How Can You Tell the Difference?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by CutsieMarie89, Jun 24, 2008.

1. DJ Erock Resident Skeptic Registered Senior Member

I knew a guy at University of Delaware who would make fakes. He was a computer science major, and actually cracked the barcode systems and made IDs that would pass being scanned.

This one isn't quite so good though.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Fakes IDs are fairly easy to make, you don't need to be a computer science major. Just googling will show you the materials you need to create one that not only looks real visually, but will also pass being scanned. It just takes a bit of time and money, and can be really profitable if you happen to have lots of peers who need fakes.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

But if you're on vacation, who has time to bother with the licensing board? And even if you're not, who bothers? :shrug: Just take your money somewhere else.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Lets say you had a fake ID, having someone card you and say "This one is fake!" it suddenly becomes a battle of nerves. Obviously you had nothing to be nervous about if your card was real, so you response, hesitation or breakdown would of registered if it was real or not.

ID's are a money maker to those that dabble in illegal trades and obviously the quality of their merchandise would effect how much they can sell their ID's for. (The better the quality the more they can charge) Obviously all the concerns for fakes generates a greater problem, the higher need for background information to do checks, which in turn opens up another entire area.... "Social Engineering" where individuals and groups alike attempt to find out information about you. (You might have phonecall's about "Surveys" or claim to be a utilities company clarifying some data. In all essence if you don't feel happy with sharing the information then don't.)

The worst thing here is "Identify Theft", as now they don't just create a fake ID card but clone a real persons one and supply all the background information that will be asked for during a check.

My sister had this one happen to her, someone claimed to be her when they got caught hoping a train up the countryside. Obviously it wasn't my sister she was no where near, however they gave her name, the house address, postcode, phone number etc. Obviously someone had put a great deal of effort to have a cover story handy. My sister managed to prove it wasn't her, but we never found out if they caught the person who'd escalated their Train Fare dodging to Fraud.

8. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Really? That's why everybody buys it from others instead of making it...

You can get one from the internet for $40 I think...

9. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Never used a fake ID, but I could probably do with one as my proper ID doesn't really look like me and I get nothing but funny comments off the bouncers about my afro.