Real Gold! As light as Air.

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by paddoboy, Nov 25, 2015.

1. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

A new form of real gold, almost as light as air
    November 25, 2015 by Fabio Bergamin

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Even when it seems unbelievable: this is a genuine photograph, in which nothing has been faked. The 20 carats gold foam is lighter than milk foam. Credit: Gustav Nyström and Raffaele Mezzenga / ETH Zurich

Researchers at ETH Zurich have created a new type of foam made of real gold. It is the lightest form ever produced of the precious metal: a thousand times lighter than its conventional form and yet it is nearly impossible to tell the difference with the naked eye. There are many possible applications.

A nugget of real 20 carats gold, so light that it does not sink in a cappuccino, floating instead on the milk foam - what sounds unbelievable has actually been accomplished by researchers from ETH Zurich. Scientists led by Raffaele Mezzenga, Professor of Food and Soft Materials, have produced a new kind of foam out of gold, a three-dimensional mesh of gold that consists mostly of pores. It is the lightest gold nugget ever created. "The so-called aerogel is a thousand times lighter than conventional gold alloys. It is lighter than water and almost as light as air," says Mezzenga.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2015-11-real-gold-air.html#jCp

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/adma.201503465/abstract

Abstract

Amyloid fibril-based ultralow-density aerogels are designed by functionalization with gold nanoparticles and microcrystals, leading to hybrids of unprecedented lightness and functionality. By changing the colloidal gold shape, size, and concentration, the gold composition can be tuned to reach contents ≥20 kt equivalent, yet at densities ≈103 lighter than any equivalent gold alloys, and combining unique features such as porosity, catalytic properties, pressure sensing, and autofluorescence.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Is there something you'd like to discuss? Do you have a question?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

No none at all...Just publicising a recent discovery.
    Isn't this what sciforums are for?
    Keep watching, I'll certainly be posting more, without questions.

8. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

http://www.sciforums.com/encyclopedia/index.php/Sciforums_posting_guidelines

: "Cutting and pasting / plagiarism
    General - Posting large verbatim extracts of text from other sites is undesirable for several reasons:
    It uses up storage space on SciForums.
    It duplicates information that is easily accessible elsewhere.
    It can disrupt the flow of a thread, because posters have to scroll through large amounts of text that they may not wish to read.
    It may breach copyright laws.

Therefore, we ask that posters abide by the following guidelines:

All quotes from other sites must be attributed (e.g. by posting a link to the site).
    Quoted text should be restricted to a few lines or a paragraph unless the poster is quoting the text along with his or her, own detailed analysis (interspersed with the text)."

Q-reeus likes this.
  9. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

10. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

I wonder if this process can be used for other metals, and how strucually durable such materials would be?

The next step up from cabon-fiber, perhaps?

11. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Done:
    Done:

Just dmoe doing what he does best.

12. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

Archimedes would have hated this.

13. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

While I realize you are just angling for your next ban, and there are some cases where plagiarized content is detrimental (see: Magical Realist), it is worth noting that 5 of the first 10 threads in this forum were started by paddoboy and all of them are on-topic, generally mainstream science content threads. For such a thin forum, having someone post valuable conversation starters, even if they are technically plagiarism, is a positive thing. Heck, I've been on other forums where they used bots to do that.

14. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Then you "realize" a fantasy...the Posts were simply empty of any comment by the Poster!

The Poster did not state any reason for "Cutting and pasting"/Posting the content...so I queried the reason...simple as that...

Believe me, I Grok the Cult of Personality that pervades the 'intelligentsia' of SciForums