raw meat... and rotten raw meat

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Spaazkaz, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Spaazkaz anti-religious spiritual type Registered Senior Member

I remember sometime 5-10 years ago seeing something on tv where a guy eats raw meat and never gets sick. I soecifically remember him just putting meat in jars and letting it ferment in the sun. or some reason its healthy and his body could stand the bacteria??? sorry im talking out my ass.. does anyone know what im talking about, and/or could explain how its possible? Also, does anyone know anything about just eating fresh raw meat? health risks? Any response is appreciated. Thanks, -Spaz-

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Steak tartare

Steak tartare is a meat dish made from finely chopped or ground raw beef or horse meat. Tartare can also be made by thinly slicing a high grade of meat such as strip steak, marinating it in wine or other spirits and spiced to taste, and then chilled. It is often served with onions, capers and seasonings (the latter typically incorporating fresh ground pepper and Worcestershire sauce), and sometimes with a raw egg, and usually served on rye bread. In the past, many restaurants that served hamburgers would prepare steak tartare even if they did not specifically mention it on the menu.

More:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_Tar_Tar

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

My father came of age during the Great Depression and got a job in the stockyards. It was tempting to sneak some meat home. The operators had to accept the reality that these guys were hungry, so they instituted a rule: You could eat all you wanted on site, but you could not take any with you. They all learned to like the taste of raw beef.

Frankly I think people who like their restaurant steaks "rare" would be just as happy if it were raw. There's not much difference.

My father always liked raw ground beef and he turned me on to it when I was seven or eight so I always thought it was normal. Not steak tartare, the authentic recipe has raw egg. Just a little salt and pepper, maybe some onion. We ate it at least once a week and we never got sick from it. Not unground beef, I don't think chewing it would be a pleasant experience unless it was a really tender cut like filet mignon.

I kept eating it as an occasional treat until I was thirty or so, but I've lost my taste for it over the years.

Meat comes from inside the cow, where there's no major bacteria culture. If it's properly handled and refrigerated it should not pick up a lot of bacteria on the way to your table.

Sure, there's a risk involved but I think it's a small one. If you like it, then eating it is hardly going to be one of the most dangerous things in your life. You're still a zillion times more likely to die in an auto accident.

I am not advising anyone to actually eat raw meat, just recounting my experience.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i LOVE capatio (apologise if thats spelt wrong)

We used to make it by raping up eye fillet steak so its a long cylender of about 5cm diamiter and then frezzing it. Would then slice it as finly as possable on the meat slicer and layer it out on the plate. To order we would put a decent amount of lemon juice over it and sprinkly cappers, salt and pepper over top. Top with water cress and there is a very delious dish

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Doesn't the acid in the lemon juice "cook" the meat? I thought that's what they did with sushi.

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Hang on

Sushi is rice with whatever you want in the middle rapped up in seaweed (can be veg or teriaki chicken, doenst HAVE to be raw fish)

shasmi IS raw fish and decrative veg

yes its cured by lemon juice but still concidered raw by those who dont belive in anything but black meat

No there is no lemon juice in sushi
    yes lemon comes with shasmi but its up to you if you want to use it. personally i like to just put pickled ginger on mine

10. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the clarification of terms, I always thought "sushi" was raw fish. I actually have never tried it. I appreciate the info.

So how does "curing" differ from "cooking" other than heat?

11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i used to be a chef and one of my pet hates was people going
    "i hate sushi"
    "why"
    "because i dont want to eat raw fish"

anyway

in a technical sence it curing is the same as cooking. Look at ham, thats been salt cured and its safe to eat but people dont seem to realise it

Acid WILL denature the protine just like heat will although it wont nessaraly change colour like it will when you "cook" it. However if i served up acid cured meat to my partner or my sister they wouldnt touch it because "its still raw"

In a true sence there is nothing wrong with eating raw beef or lamb, infact you can even eat pork cooked to only medium rare in australia because we dont have the diseases that cause people to want it cooked all the way through. CHICKEN on the other hand DOES need to be cooked to well done because it carries selmanella (sorry about the spelling). I dont think salt or acid curing will actually kill that off as well as heat does so "cooking" is the safest method in that case

12. draqon Banned Banned

I like raw fish, not like raw meat

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Cooking requires heat, it's one of our earliest technologies from the Paleolithic Era.

Lemon juice adds citric acid. Changing the pH of the meat by adding acid preserves it by making it a hostile environment for microbes. If it's left long enough the acid also breaks down the muscle tissue, making it more tender.
    It sounds like someone told you about the history of sushi. When it was first invented they pickled the fish by adding vinegar, another organic acid. Some bright sushi chef in the fourteenth century (or thereabouts) got the brilliant idea of adding the vinegar to the rice instead of the fish. That way you get the same combination of flavors but it doesn't take so long to prepare.

Of course this describes nigiri (the slab of raw fish on top of the ball of rice with the horseradish in between: something from the sea, something from the fields and something from the forest, a complete balance of zen) and certain other classic schools of sushi. There are other schools of sushi that use cooked fish, shellfish in various states, or no seafood at all.
    It's the school of sushi that many Westerners find either gross or exotic, although not those of us who were raised on raw hamburger.

But there are lots of other kinds of sushi that are quite edible for people with less adventurous tastes. One of my favorites is inari, a simple sheet of tofu wrapped around a ball of vinegar-soaked rice. There's also tamago, made from a scrambled egg. The shrimp and crab in sushi is quite cooked, and you can get sushi with nothing but vegetables in it. At the opposite extreme is another of my favorites, uni, made from the roe of sea urchins.
    Curing invariably involves adding at least a bit of extraneous flavor to the meat. Smoke is one of the more common ways of curing meat; some of the smoke molecules penetrate the meat and add flavor. But pickling with vinegar or some other acid is another way, and that definitely adds flavor.

Cooking and curing share a common purpose, which is to break down the muscle tissue, making it easier to chew and allowing the juices and flavors to more easily travel to your taste buds. But curing has an additional purpose, which is to preserve the meat so you can still have meat after your game animals have migrated south for the winter, or save some for next year in case there's a famine. Smoking preserves the meat by drying it out so it's a hostile environment for microbes. Pickling preserves it by making it acidic, i.e. another type of hostile environment for microbes.

Freezing is another way of preserving meat, again by creating a hostile environment for microbes. Unlike curing, freezing can and must be reversed by thawing before you eat the meat, which is more or less returned to its original raw state.

Vacuum packing is one more way of creating a hostile environment for microbes. Canning, which is cooking meat and then quickly sealing it in a low-pressure medium, is still another.

One of the most fabulous technologies we ever invented for preserving meat is animal husbandry, one half of the Agricultural Revolution that introduced the Neolithic Era. (The other half is farming of course.) We store the meat in the bodies of live animals and let their amazing biological processes keep it from decaying, until we're ready to eat it. That technology revolutionized human society because we no longer had to be nomads. We could build permanent settlements and start making furniture, musical instruments, tools, appliances, and lots of stuff that's too big and heavy for nomads to carry around.

14. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

your right Fraggle Rocker i was refering to nori rolls which are the most common form of sushi sold in Australia (or at least those parts i have traveled to anyway)

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I've seen raw meat prepared by laying it on rock salt. Left there long enough, I could probably eat it.
    Hamburger...BARF!! Maybe ground venison, but not ground beef.

16. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Thanks Fraggle, for another great informative post!

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

People used to age ducks before cooking them. They would hang them by the neck, and when they fell off, they were ready to go.

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

spider we still do age meat, at least we did where i used to work. When we got a porter house side we would hang it for a week before using it

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I've heard of that, but it's a cold temperatures, isn't it? Also, some forms of "rotting" involve fermentation. Sushi was originally rice and fish buried in pots until they fermented together.

20. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

yes its at cool temp, what you want is for the protines to break down as they do naturally but you dont want a buildup of either toxic chemicals (releaced by certian bactieria) or bacteria like salmanala. Food poisioning is looked down apon in australia.

Oh and one more thing about raw fish. Only eat raw fish from surpliers you trust. When i was at cooking school one of my lecture's sister was dying because she went over to bail and ate some rare fish. It turned out the fish had worms and the worms riddled her body slowly killing her. Moral COOK IT unless you know where it came from

21. Dark Pig Registered Member

I think the point of the OP was that this guy ate rotten meat, and how did he do that?
    Ofcourse people can eat raw meat.

The main reason rotten meat is harmful is because we don't eat it. If you, throughout your life, ate slightly rotten meat often, you'd build up a tolerance for the bacteria.
    This is the main reason other animals can eat it, they grew up on it.
    Yes some also have stronger digestive systems due to their inheritted anatomy, but humans definately could be raised to tolerate much more rotten meat than most can today.

In europe in the middle ages peasants only ever ate rotten meat, as a "gift" from the nobles once it became unpalatable for them.

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

what's the difference between rotten and aged?
    I consistently age the steaks my family eats.

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

but how many of them died ALOT younger than we are now.

besides which even they had methods designed to STOP food from going rotten

Pickly
    drying
    smoking
    salting

some of those methods are BETTER than frezzing
    for instance how long does a salted ham last?? at least 6 months probably more than a year. Frezzing guidelines for pork are what? (they arnt on my frezzer unfortunatly)