Rap or Crap?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Sauce, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Arquibus Master of Useless Information Registered Senior Member

I made no claim as to what rap was or was not. What are you talking about?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

What's advanced about rap?

I'd think it was brainless music for trash people even if SCANDINAVIANS had invented it.

Keats, that's complex rhyme... rap is words that sound the same and plenty of attitude, little actual thought.

(Kind of like most rock music, but even simpler.)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Roman Banned Banned

You claim that rap is something that it is not, then say you like it. That is not realistic.

Sound familiar?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Rap is the most complex intricate form of poetry or music or prose. In any form of media, rap is the most advanced. Shakespear and any poet or writer in history would not nearly equate many of the best lyricists/writers around.

Musically, there is no variation in form from any other genre. Any symphone or any other form of music can have as much balanced complexity as rap. All music including rap can take the form from the simplest beat with no melody to the most complex combinations of musical instruments. All music has this ability, but rap can take it a step further when lyrics are added.

8. Roman Banned Banned

Are you kidding? Rap just cuts up the music written by far greater composers and then people complain to it! They don't even bother with imitation, it's blatant theivery.

9. Arquibus Master of Useless Information Registered Senior Member

First, Shakespeare would not approve of you misspelling his name. Next, how can you even compare the writers of rap to the original greats of literature? They do not have the complexity nor the far-reaching acclaim of those such as Shakespeare. I have yet to even hear a rapper that was equal to Don McLean, Mick Jaegger, or John Lennon. All you are doing is advocating your argument as fact without offering examples to support yourself. I have yet to have heard you offer any names or lyrics to support your claim. Therefore, your argument is truly null.

10. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Shakespeare was a dick, and deserves to have his name misspelled.
    I hate every one of his plays. I hate that bald, English, son-of-a-bitch.

11. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

You guys should all die.

Rap is the most advance form of music there is. It combines (in most cases) perfect orchestrated synthesized beats with lyrics that have wordplay, punch-lines, metaphors, similies, multis, etc. - and guess what it rhymes and sounds good with the beat. Producing rap music is more of an effort and more complex than producing any type of rock & that's factual.

Rap has no history - the ignorance in that post almost made my kidneys collapse. It's obvious there are either alot of older people here or alot of depressed ugly teenagers. You go to a club and rap or techno will play - people have fun, beautiful girls dance, etc. - Personally, I would prefer this setting in contrast to going to a mosh-pit with a bunch of skinheads and ugly fat punk girls rocking there heads like there having seizures.

There are many genres to rap and many forms of rap with everything sounding completely different, it's the most diverse form of music. People bash rappers for having "Bling, Bling", if I had the money to buy an ill platinum chain I'd buy it with the quickness - I'd choose "Bling, Bling" over spikes on my wrists or neck any day.

12. Arquibus Master of Useless Information Registered Senior Member

Synthesized music is harder than the real thing? Do you know anything about making music at all? All it takes to be a rapper is a drum machine and a thesaurus. All mainstream rap (but maybe not underground) is about stealing stuff, killing people, screwing girls, and generally being a total dick. These rappers talk about how hard it is in the ghetto when they are living in Beverly Hills or whatnot. Rap is far from complex when a guy talks to a drumbeat at a changing pace in rhymes. Try writing a song with lyrics that don't rhyme and that goes to the instrumental music that sounds good. You would be incapable. I swear, some of you guys that like rap put up decent arguments, but then guys like this come and tear it down. And with people that insult us rockers like this, how do you think you'll ever gain respect from us at all?

13. Roman Banned Banned

And all it takes for a rocker to make music is a guitar and a drum set and some shouting.

Stop making silly blanket statements. There's good and bad from both genre of music. Saying X artist on MTV is the epitome of Y music is a really, really lame argument. Rock sucks because of Britney Spears. What? Does that make any sense?

All electronica is lame and thoughtless because of Happy Hardcore.

You fools are arguing opinion. It's even more retarded than trying to reconcile science and religion. You can't do either, so get over it.

14. Arquibus Master of Useless Information Registered Senior Member

I was merely showing that rap is not some incredibly complicated thing to create. I agree that a rocker could very well do that. But, it wouldn't be any good. I have never made the argument, "All rock is good, all rap is bad, get over it." I am just tired of people claiming that rap is the greatest without having a decent reason.

15. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That's hilarious.

16. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

Whites are superior to everybody for the purpose of being white. It's not sensible to group all "white" looking people as whites; I'm proud to be Northwestern European and only want to associate, live near, work with said people. They understand me best. Therefore, for my purposes, whites (NWE) are superior.

17. Blackrain Registered Senior Member

Im done trying to debate this topic with you. Now that you've revealed that your'e a white supremecist. Why don't you go to stormfront.org where your type of ilk is welcomed.

18. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

LOL another cavmen from Atlantis offers his tuppence LOL...now lemme get this straight masser......
    whites are superior to all other peoples soley on the baisis of the quantity of melanin in their skin, yet we're not saying that all such peoples lacking melanin are superior (ohhh nooooo coz that wouldn't be sensible....) only the peoples living in Europe...no wait...NW Europe are superior to everyone else........

go back to your cave babarian, and stop wasting bandwidth.

19. Arquibus Master of Useless Information Registered Senior Member

Only superior in his own mind. Which is probably twisted beyond recognition. Regardless, the things that go on in his mind are his business and are not part of this discussion. In the meantime, not liking rap doesn't mean a person feels whites are superior to anyone else. I like many black artists, for the quality of their music. I also dislike many white artists because of the quality of their music. Not liking rap doesn't make a person a racist. In fact, claiming that someone is a racist because of this is a sign of racism, since people always tend to see the faults in others that they are blind to in themselves.

20. panopticon707 Panopticon Registered Senior Member

Considering the age divide between rockers and hip-hoppers, I have trouble taking any of these anti-hip-hop opinions seriously. Most rely on cliches and childish insults and reveal that the posters lack even a passing aquaintince with the music. This sulking is irrelevant. Hip-hop has been dominating the music charts for some time now. Not only that, but the music is continously developing. Year to year the style changes and develops, while rock albums that manage to sell are rehashes of rock music from its heyday. When was the last time a significant rock album dropped that moved the genre forward? With hip-hop it happens practically every week. Soon enough all you hip-hop naysayers will be as dead as all those people that used to say that jazz and rock and roll weren't music, and the rest of us will move on. As far as I'm concerned, this ignorant hip-hop bashing taking place is just the death throes. Hip-hop is steamrolling pop culture out in the wider world, and it is the most vital, creative musical movement in forty years.

21. Arquibus Master of Useless Information Registered Senior Member

Sorry bud, but rock will never die. And just because I hate rap, it doesn't mean that I don't think its music, nor does it mean that I am much older than the rap lovers. I'm only seventeen. My reasons for not liking rap are originally rooted in the messages that it presents with their lack of care for anyone else, relating women to property, and the simple love of money. I do agree with you about the views of people not saying rap is music is like the jazz and rock emergence back in the day, but even so that is no reason to believe rock is ever going down. Change is always averted by some. Rap is the reason that rock is not progressing, since the people that don't like change are trying to hang on to what they know. However, you can't say that all new rock sounds like the old. Different guitarists, singers, etc. all have their own styles of how they play, and so slowly as new rockers come on the scene with new sounds it will still progress.

22. Blaphbee Registered Senior Member

I can't believe how readily all of you miss the point with your reading incomprehension.

He said "Whites are superior to everybody for the purpose of being white." As is evident to many of the people on this planet that still retain functioning use of their brains, white people do a shitty job at trying to be anything but what they are: white. It's the same for blacks and asians. They should all stick to being what they are, and give up the delusional utopian monocultural thinking that's trying to get us to breed into one indistinct racial grouping, and willingly give up what makes us all unique.

Thus, you stick to your own kind, as they understand you the best. I wouldn't go looking for advice on how to be a better African by trying to befriend a number of them and attempt to act like one; i'm very clearly not an African, therefore, why don't I just stay with my own culture and heritage which i was born into? It doesn't matter if whites are objectively better than blacks in certain areas, or less prone to certain behaviours, or if blacks are better suited to certain environments, or more knowledgable in certain areas, or if asians outclass whites in some fields and areas of intellect. For the purposes of being white, white people are superior to all other racial subgroups. For the purposes of being black, black people are superior to all other racial subgroups. For the purposes of being asian, asian people are superior to all other racial subgroups. These genetic distinctions which go beyond simple skin colour into issues of ancestry and thousands of years of speciation are what make us all distinct animals on this planet, even if we all share common grouping within the classification of Homo sapiens. Why do we want to erase this? I have a sneaky suspicion that this mentality is motivated by fear, and i don't trust those who arrogantly presume to know better than nature.

In any case, it is not a crime to prefer one's own kind. It's a preference, same as whether or not one likes quality music over a quantity of mediocre garbage.

23. Light Registered Senior Member

Are you simply trying to live up to your name, Outlandish, or do you just have a thick skull?

All he said was that whites are best at being white. And blacks at being black. And it's true that whites generally are more at ease in the company of other whites, blacks prefer the company of other blacks, etc. That's perfectly natural and there's nothing at all racist about it.

If an Asian walks into a large company cafeteria, he/she will generally pick a chair at a table occupied by other Asians. And you think that's some sort of racial crime? Gimmie a break, dummy!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!