Rap or Crap?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Sauce, Jun 23, 2005.

1. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Let's just call them 'groids then. Much easier.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

As an unfathomably generous extension of my courtesy I refer to rap as 'music'. However, all it is is 'poetry' to some beats.

Would those who enjoy rap find rap in another language enjoyable? I would expect not. It is about the words and the attitude - it's NOT about the music.

Whereas, I only enjoy the German version of Mozart's Die Zauberflote - because in English I can hear how bad the story is!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. locomotive Tea me o' mighty teapot Registered Senior Member

what is music according to you blue? I am beeing very serious.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

I'm being sreious too

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I'm happy with this definition.

8. gurglingmonkey More Amazing in RL Registered Senior Member

To me music is sound. Sound is music. Perhaps not good music...
    To illustrate this I recommend John Cage's 4'33. I think I'll listen to it right now.

9. q0101 Registered Senior Member

I grew up listening to rap and I hate what it has become. The industry is full of nigga ignorance and professional ice flossers.

Nigga Ignorance – An African or so-called black man that embraces his ignorance and the ignorance in his or her environment. For example, some rappers glorify violence and they think that it is cool to keep it real. Keeping it real can involve doing stupid things like committing felonies that could send you to prison for the rest of your life.

Professional Ice Flossers – A cocky, arrogant, man that loves jewelry almost as much as he loves women. (Also known as bitched, hoes, and pigeons.) Most professional ice flossers do not know how to manage their money in a logical way. Many of them lose their immense fortunes after spending a large percentage of their net worth on items to attract women and make other men feel inferior.

Most rappers don’t really have any musical talent. They can't compose music. They can't play instruments. Most of them have lyrical skills that are poor to average on a good day. And most of them have absolutely noting new or interesting say. They just keep repeating themselves over and over again. "Look at how much money I have. Look at my luxury cars. Do you see my diamonds? Look at them. Look at all of the beautiful bitches that I am fucking.

It is unfortunate, but simple and unsophisticated rap music is usually more profitable than sophisticated rap music. Some executives in the music industry are unwilling to give contracts to rap artist that make positive or sophisticated music.

People enjoy entertainment that they can relate to. Think about your favorite movies. I am sure that all of your favorite movies contain real or fictional characters that you can relate to. Some of these characters could be role models for you because you would like to be like them. Perhaps the events in one of your favorite movies were similar to something that you experienced in your life.

It is unfortunate, but the majority of the people listening to rap music in the U.S.A cannot relate to the artists that make sophisticated music. People want simple lyrics and they are satisfied with simple music. We are living in a world that is over populated with simpletons. Most people that listen to rap quickly lose interests when rappers begin to talk about something other than their material possessions, their sexual activities, or the fact that they are not afraid to kill someone.

The music that people make is no different than the sounds that birds make. It is a way to attract members of the opposite sex and let those around you know who you are. There are many rappers out there that had live experiences that are similar to best selling rappers like 50 Cent. The only difference is that their music did not sell as well because they were too sophisticated and they did not have the proper people around them to help them. Some of these men were rapping about the same things as 50 CENT. But they were doing it in a sophisticated way that most rap fans in poor black neighborhoods could not relate to. And then there are millions of rap fans in rich and upper middle class neighborhoods that think it is cool to live the life of a gangster. Most of the rap fans in this group don't want to hear rap music with a positive message.

The unsophistication in rap music goes far beyond the lyrics. It is also a part of the music. It is very simple to make a rap beat with a keyboard or a program like Fruity Loops or Reason. Anyone with a small amount of musical talent could do it. There are many people that I know that would rather listen to the simplicity of most rap beats than the complexity of Jazz or classical music. And then there is the pop culture aspect of rap. Some people don't care if the music is sophisticated. They just want to hear something that makes them want to dance.

10. spacemansteve Not enough brain space Registered Senior Member

q0101:

Thats why i don't like rap music, because the Rap that i do hear and that most people follow is the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and... well you get the point... again!

I have a high tolerance to most other music styles, including country... which to me is incredibly crap but at the end of the day better then most other stuff you'll hear.

In my opinion the best music you'll ever find is classical, the music i prefer to listen is rock, the music i want to dissappear of the face of the planet is rap

11. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

I agree spaceman, infact, I rather like country music - bit of Dwight Yoakam certainly has its place!

But like you say, Classical definately houses the works of the most talented individuals.

12. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Rap can be done with no melody.
    Rap can go to a beat without the need for any melody, and vocalized in monotone.
    Something as simple as lyrics to a beat makes rap music.
    Rap is music and poetry at the same time.

If the lyrics do not abide by a specific beat, it is called simple poetry.
    Much of the rappers also do poetry readings.
    Creating poetry is far easier than creating rap songs because poetry does not abide by the rules of rap-music.
    Although the lyrics are poetic, rap-music must abide by a beat.

American rap culture is also important. Ignorant people do not like the rap culture. It is the realest culture there is. Commonly known as the "hip hop" culture, it is as expression of everything from life, knowledge, sex, violence, money, and street life as a whole. The truly ignorant culture is the rich who turn a blind eye to world problems, and steal money from the poor.

13. Genji Registered Senior Member

Rap is a celebration of poverty, sexism, vulgarity, violence and failure. Ghetto Fabulousness may appear hip to many suburban white kids but the real deal is a trap filled with anguish, desperation and surrender.

14. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Yup, and until them crackers stop oppressing humans, this is what we will continue to rap about.
    They want us to stop rapping about violence and such?
    Stop oppressing us.

15. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Mostly the sex and violence and money though....and none of the knowledge.

Sure....like the rappers who "made it" give a fuck about the poor. Or did I miss 50 cent donating millions to africa?

16. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

You are a racist piece of shit.

17. D'ster Registered Senior Member

18. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Speaking about yourself again?
    Why is your racist ignorance still hovering around here?

19. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

20. Genji Registered Senior Member

Good point but I haven't heard any rap about uniting blacks, whites and browns and fighting cops, the government and their bodyguard the military. The lyrics I've heard are all about drugs, fucking bitches, killing other poor blacks and the persistant 'muthafuckamuthafuckamutha.' Not to mention rap about personal wealth, rims, gold teeth, rich people cars and fancy rich people houses. Absolutely nothing politically redeeming whatsoever. Maybe it will evolve into something useful someday, so far there's no sign of that happening.

21. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

That is gangsta rap, which is a subgenre of rap music. Unfortunately it seems to be the only one I hear nowadays. When I was into rap (early 90s) there were more intelligent alternatives to that such as Public Enemy and Arrested Development.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  22. q0101 Registered Senior Member

Do you want to listen to some intelligent rap in the present? Check out the list of rappers in my post on the first page of Da Best Rap Songs thread. A lot of people are unaware of the intellectual poets that make rap music. You usually wont see them on MTV because their music does not sell as well as the gangsta rap / hip pop / crap that most rap fans in America listen to. Here are some lyrics from one of the artist.

Artist – Talib Kweli
    Album – Black Star

Determination – Second verse

Knowledge it self is like life after death.
    With that you never worry about your last breath.
    Death comes that’s how I’m living.
    It’s the next stage.
    The flesh goes underground.
    The book of life flip the page.
    Yo they’re asking me how old.
    Were living the same age.
    I feel the rage of a million niggas locked inside a cage.
    At exactly which point do you start to realize.
    That life without knowledge is death in disguise.
    That’s why knowledge it self is like life after death.
    Apply it to let your destiny manifest.
    Different day same confusion.
    Were going to take this hip hop ship and keep it moving.
    Shed a little light.
    Now your blooming like a flower with the power of the evident.
    Voices and drums original instruments.
    In the flesh presently representing my representation.

Thieves In The Night – First verse

Give me the fortune keep the fame said my man Louis.
    I agreed know what he means because we live the truest lie.
    I asked him why were following the law of the blue inside.
    He looked at me he thought about it.
    He was like I’m clueless why.
    The question was rhetorical.
    The answer is horrible.
    Our morals are out of place.
    Unguided lives feel the sorrow.
    And so tomorrow is coming later than the usual.
    Waiting on someone to pity us.
    While were finding beauty in the hideous.
    They say money is the root of all evil.
    But I can’t tell.
    You know what I mean.
    Pesos, francs, yens, carrousels dollar bills.
    Or is it the mind state that’s ill.
    Creating crime rates to fill the new prisons they build.
    Over money and religion there’s more blood to spill.
    Some wounded slaves in cotton fields that never heal.
    What’s the deal.
    A lot of cats that buy records is straight broke.
    But my language is universal.
    They’ll be reciting my quotes.
    While R&B singers hit bad notes.
    We rock the boat of thought that my man Louis’s statements just provoked.
    Caught up in conversations of my personal worth.
    Brought up through endangered species status on the planet earth.
    Survival tactics means busting gats to prove you’re hard.
    Your firearms are too short to box with god.
    Without faith all of that is illusionary.
    Raise my son no vindication of manhood necessary.

Chorus with Talib Kweli and Mos Def

Not strong
    Only aggressive
    Not free
    Were only licensed
    Not compassionate
    Only polite
    Now who’s the nicest
    Not good but well behaved
    Chasing after death so we can call ourselves brave
    Still living like mental slaves
    Hiding like thieves in the night from life
    Illusions of oasis making you look twice.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  23. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

I have put some some Talib Kweli and the Last Emperor onto the ipod. Will give them a good listen.