Rap is a style of lfie

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by draqon, Apr 20, 2008.

1. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Shall we have yet another definition? According to KRS-ONE, rap is the music and hip-hop is the culture.

I prefer yours though. It makes the most sense.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Rap is style of life, hip-hop is just music

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Call me perverse but I see KRS-ONE's characterisation as being a little more authoritative than yours.

8. draqon Banned Banned

perverse

KRS-ONE isn't on my list and never will be

9. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Nonsense; you know what the typical life style of a rap listener or rapper is? Usually, it consists of crime, drugs, greed, immaturity, ignorance, decay, lust, disrespect, etc

Not all of them, but most of today's rappers seem to want to promote these things in their music; I don't get it, what's so cool about being a fucking drug addick and going to prison?

10. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

That's just the radio crap. Listen to Immortal Technique or Cannibus. I used to like some of the commercial rap, but I was listening to the radio yesterday and the song was like 5 minutes of 3 different people yelling "I've got wood on the dash." I don't see why anyone would call that rap.

11. LeotheLion Registered Senior Member

Oh my god! So many of you haven't even got the first clue what Hip Hop even is!

Whoever was quoting KRS obviously knows a thing or two.

Hip Hop comprises of 4 elements -

Rapping
    Djing
    Breakdancing
    Graffiti

All of which are things you DO. Whereas Hip Hop (all 4 elements combined) is something you ARE.

Eminem, 50 Cent, The Game etc (& to some extent even Tupac) isn't really even 'Rap' anymore - it's pop music. It's deliberately over the top gansterisms that rely heavily on bling imagery (Money, Guns, Ho's etc) because that is what sells (to a predominantly WHITE suburban market).

Before you write it off as 'Nigger music' (I can't believe on a science forum of all places racism is still this rampant - way to let down the side guys) why not do a little research first, how about you learn about the roots, maybe even dig a little deeper than the mainstream to find some ART? Ever listened to anything on Stones Throw? Def Jux? No? Didn't think so.

Oh, and for the record - Why is it that Johnny Cash can sing about shooting men in Reno just to watch them die & is hailed as a musical legend but as soon as a young black man does he's a terrible role model who must be stopped?

I could go on for hours but I doubt it'd make any difference.

12. DeepThought Banned Banned

Oh my... I laughed out loud at this one.

Is this like... existentialism?

13. LeotheLion Registered Senior Member

Hey, I'm just quoting. But yeah, I guess in a way it is. To many many people it really is more than just music. It is a lifestyle. Much like people who run marathons or climb mountains, it's so much more than just a hobby.

14. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

Most of that is from mainstream rap. Anyone that knows anything about rap will tell you that 50 Cent is shit and has no talent. 50 Cent and others release junk, they know it is junk but because people buy it, they’ll keep releasing it. Other rich fuckers with no morals see this and jump onto the bandwagon.

Most of the mainstream rappers glamorise criminal activity (many of them are criminals), drug and alcohol abuse, murder, they degrade women etc. yet they are celebrated and treated like kings. These rappers are scum without a doubt, but the guys that promote their shit (That includes a lot of white people) knowing it harms society are even worse in my opinion.

I prefer older rap music, that music was more relevant, it had more meaning. It was about things people go through in everyday life, none of that pop, mainstream, head-in-the-clouds bullshit.

15. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

Haha. 'African stuff' wtf?!?! Most rappers have pretty much no connection to Africa.

And what the hell is your own civilisation? Aren't you the guy that thought prostitution should be legalised and be considered a respectable profession. You have no civilisation.

16. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Dragon:

Past of what?
    Bourgeoisie angst?

Sung by people with monogrammed ice cubes?
    What would they know about life “seen through the barrel of a gun"?

Something to laugh at: Tupac studied jazz, poetry and ballet growing up.
    The average thug knows as much about ballet as he does about spelling it.

What does this do for your Romance of Awesome Street Cred, knowing one of its masters wore a tutu?

He was also lower middle class.

redarmy:
    Speaking of, he's the same guy that said the U.S. deserved 9-11, citing:

–KRS One

Those rich, powerful oppressors holding Laquita down as a 'culture' are not Bill Gates or Cheney but Jay-Z and Ludacris, two multimillionaires swinging from chandeliers in a Beverly Hills studio somwhere, disguising self-destruction as rap.

Its not the succesful, college educated white who's executive of some large corporation that's the materialist pig- why do we say that?
    Look at them- they're literally infected with this absoulte need to rub their material wealth in your face.

And for that matter, he's not speaking for the 'culture' since its whites buying rap more than blacks now.
    Dr. Lou and dragon being two of them.

17. draqon Banned Banned

right on LeoTheLion, rap is truly golden

18. DeepThought Banned Banned

I'm laughing.

Which is why in rap videos each member of the group is trying to push the others out of the way so they can dominate the camera, rather like the way children behave when they are vying for the attention of adults . Or consider the ridiculous, overblown hand shakes they greet each other with, or the way they torture our language by misspelling it, in an attempt to reclaim their heritage from the 'white oppressor', i.e, one in which there is no comprehensible system of communication, and the social hierarchy is built upon the most primitive form of tribal values - physical power.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  19. draqon Banned Banned

you guys are looking at mainstream rap on tv like vh1 and mtv...thats not the kind of rap I am talking about, I have selected the rap for you to hear and see

20. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

You want to know the funniest thing?

It might be blacks that promote this sort of nonsense however many whites have completely lapped it up. That is, the white man is adopting the black mans culture. I’ll admit that this is mainly working class whiteys (as well as people of other backgrounds). They wear jeans and trackies that hang below the waist, they have the cap, they have the slang, the fucked up accent, the limp, the hair, jewellery, they smoke marijuana, they drink, are dickheads etc. You can say whatever the hell you want, I just find it hilarious to see White mateys idolising talentless criminals like 50 Cent.

Can you not see a problem there?

Most rappers have a story to tell, however what is the need to bring out real music when it has been proven that rapping about drugs, violence, crime, whores (producing nothing but complete horseshit) brings you success and money – White people buy that music, so why should the Black man stop producing it?

21. LORD_VOLDEMORT Banned Banned

WOW HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD.

First off,if you dont like it,do not listen to it.Rap is a freedom of speech regardless of your personal opinions toward it.

My favorite male rapper is the Notorious BIG

My favorite female rapper is Foxy Brown

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

KILL EM FOX!!!!!

FREEDOM OF SPEECH,DAMN THOSE WHO DONT LIKE IT,MOST YOU CRITICIZERS DONT UNDERSTAND IT,THATS WHY,ITS SO EASY TO CRITICIZE WHAT YOU WILL NEVER HAVE A FULL UNDERSTANDING OF,ITS WHY THESE RAPPERS GIVE YOU THERE ASS TO KISS AND CONTINUE TO DO THEM AND ENTERTAIN THOSE WHO UNDERSTAND RAP,THE HELL WITH YOU CRITICIZERS!,FUCK MAKES YOU THINK WE SHOULD CONFORM TO YOUR BELIEFS(SUPERIORITY COMPLEXES EHH???)),HARDCORE RAP RULES.

ALWAYS A FAN OF HARDCORE RAP

22. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Ghost:
    That's ..what I said.
    "According to music industry statistics, close to 80 percent of all hip-hop records are purchased by white, mainly male, youth. " Source

Whites of all classes are going around aping rap:

In his article, “Youth’s Global Village: An Epilogue”, William Eric Perkins writes,

Source

Dragon:
    You're in it for the look, aren't you? The 'stylo'.
    One can't fathom what a pasty little white boy like you has in common with an impoverished negro eating ketchup sandwiches in the ghetto.

Uhm, no we're not.
    Among others you gave us Tupac and Jay-Z.

I referenced both.

Deepthoughts:
    Bingo.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  23. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

(aside to Deepthoughts: notice Lord Voldermont vying for the camera)

Silly monkey.