Rand Paul Proposes $500 billion in budget cuts for 2011

Discussion in 'Politics' started by madanthonywayne, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Let me guess, mostly cuts social programs, leaves the foreign policy and defense behemoths alone?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Here is what I believe.

If I had the power to appoint Rand, Michelle and Sarah the position of leadership in the house and senate and told them the votes are there to make any changes they wanted to, but that was the only power offered, IOW they were on their own from there on out. They would have to answer to all who were affected, they would have to suffer the results, they would be held accountable for these changes, they would be responsible for the ensuing mess and they would be responsible for creating the alternative to keep the system going.

Then none of this would be proposed.

It's all politics and empty promises.

The day I see the party IN POWER make these choices and implement them, then we are seeing leadership. Til then it's all politics.

This is ultimately our biggest problem. Now due to lack of leadership we are in a position where neither party is willing to make that sacrifice because there are too many affected by the change. That means voters and that means your not going to get re-elected with such a massive hit.

My predicition is that neither party will, when in power make the sacrifice. In this game it's better for fundraising to be the minority party.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Just gazing through it, almost 10 percent comes from the department of transportation. So if you think our roads are bad today...just wait. If this guy gets his way they are going to get a lot worse. And they will be more unsafe because of failure to maintain them. You had better hope we don't get a lot of snow and ice in the winter.

At first glance, it is a real stupid bill.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  8. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

We had better hope Global Warming makes an appearance, huh?

But, on the other hand. I'm reading through it.. slowly.

I just hope all subsidies to Monsanto are cut, if they want to have a semblance of fair play, when it comes to agriculture.

9. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

well rand paul's most notable distinction is to be even crazier than his father

10. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

questions and its really relevant to the aggressiveness of rand and his supporters; you do do know that he average yearly increase of federal spending is roughly 33% higher under republicans than democrats?
    that of the 2 major parties the only one to lower the debt while in sole control was the democrats?

11. iceaura Valued Senior Member

In 2008, the US Federal government ran a 1.1 - 1.4 trillion dollar deficit.

In the years immediately preceding 2008, the two terms of W/Cheney, the US ran huge budget deficits as well - piling up levels of debt never seen before, and percentages of debt not seen since WWII (they were even greater than Reagan's, the former record holder).

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Just stop both wars, or the one war and the other Iraq situation and bring the troops home. That will save over a trillion dollars in one year alone and another trillion next year if they can withdraw everyone now iin a years time.

13. superstring01 Moderator

That's the first thing I noticed. Our national transportation infrastructure is rated as a D-. Already investors and foreign companies notice this fact in our country.

Here's a brilliant idea: RAISE TAXES.

People are so stupid when dealing with this issue.

You cannot simultaneously improve the two crumbling national (and absolutely essential) pieces of infrastructure (education and transportation) while remaining a first world nation.

Cut defense, cut welfare programs, make the tough decision to cut SS payments (incrementally) to those who already have investments worth over $1.5 million, increase the retirement age (incrementally) by one year, for each two years you are younger than 36 (i.e. a 36 year old, today, won't be eligible for SS benefits until 69 but a 20 year old will have to wait until 75). Begin punnishing companies that offshore (hey, Germany does this, and they are STILL the world's number one exporter).

This is the one issue that actually gives me a physical reaction. People don't even have a clue how the money is spent. 76 cents out of every dollar is fixed, cannot be changed and has to be spent. Then you have defense and transportation. Transportation cannot be cut (contrary to Rand).

My god. These people won't be happy until we are all pan-handling.

~String

14. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

What exactly happened in 2008 that caused such an increase in civilian employment in the DOD?
    Over 100,000 added since 2001? And almost all of them after the election.

15. superstring01 Moderator

Um. That would be those civilian contractors working in Iraq and Afghanistan. It's a ruse.

~String

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Isn't that when the TSA was formed to have a security agency to secure airports and other public places?

17. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Security contractors?

Construction contractors wouldn't be payed through the dod, would they?

18. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Perhaps youre right.

The coincidence would be that between 9/11 and 2008 we heard of very few attempts on airliners.

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Some would, like those in Iraq and Afghanistan, who are paid to support rebuilding and feeding the troops as examples.

20. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

You are absoutely RIGHT ON THE MONEY String! Taxes are at a 60 year low. We are going to have to pay more taxes. The alternative is to continue to let the country crumble around us. And that should be an anathema to any red blooded American.

21. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Taxes are NOT at a 60 year low.

Personal income in 2009 totalled $12 trillion

Federal tax receipts in 2009 totalled $2.1 trillion

State and local tax receipts in 2009 totalled $1.2 trillion.

Our total tax burden was $3.3 trillion in 2009 or 27.5% of personal income.

We ABSOLUTELY do not need to raise our taxes.

Arthur

22. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Mr. Quibble, tax rates are indeed at historic lows. Your consistent refusal to acknowledge reality does not mean there is no reality.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/taxes/2010-05-10-taxes_N.htm

There is plenty of room to raise taxes. President Obama has proposed those earning over 250k go back to the Clinton era tax rates - a very modest proposal.

I think we need to go back to post WW II tax rates to get the nations fiscal house in order. The wealthy and those they backed politically (Republicans/Tea Partiers/et al) in the first 10 years of this century have wrecked fiscal disaster on the nation while they held office. Now it is time to pay the piper and be responsible.

Not suprisingly people like you and those who have indoctrinated you, never want to stand accountable for your/their actions. It is time to pay the piper and be held accountable. Unfortunately even though I have never backed these people and constantly protested their actions, I am going to have to pay the piper with them.

Be a man, stand up and be held accountable for your actions.

23. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

You think my figures are wrong?

Which of these are wrong:

Personal income in 2009 totalled $12 trillion

Federal tax receipts in 2009 totalled $2.1 trillion

State and local tax receipts in 2009 totalled $1.2 trillion.

Post a better figure and source for them then.

The difference is I totaled Federal Tax reciepts, which includes taxes they get from Corporations, but for which we as consumers indeed DO pay when we buy the goods they produce.

I also included the nearly Trillion dollars in Social Security taxes which the BEA excludes from the tax calculation.

So when you look at it in an ALL IN calculation, our taxes are in fact what I posted and are NOT at historical lows.

Arthur

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.