Ramadan and women

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by (Q), Aug 21, 2010.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

But we are not discussing "ancestral" cultures. We are discussing Islam right here. Although it would be interesting to hear what happened to those ancestral cultures too.
    But you don't have it, not really. The choice for women in the west is to be more like a man vs being more available to a man. Its not the choice to be a free woman, not really.

For the same reason they wear underwired bras and basques, corsets and thongs and wax their body hair (including their pubic hair), pump botox into their lips and toes (the latter to enable wearing ridiculously high heels) and get breast implants, puke after eating and try to get into size zero jeans. The need to emphasize the freedom to choose, even when its painful and self abusive. They are a product of individualistic societies where what they look like is more important than who they are. What you see are just two extremes, those who want to "fit in" and those who reject the demand to do so. Who is more "free"?

By whose criteria?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. iceaura Valued Senior Member

You were discussing Islamic - actually, not even that: pre-Islamic - cultures of a thousand years ago and more. You were claiming that women's rights were a new concept in the West.
    There isn't any such "the choice" in the West. There isn't a "more like a man" of that kind option, and it would not be "the choice" if there were. This is something religious bigots from alien cultures who can't imagine how other human beings view things have a hard time with, I know, but a little effort to avoid parroting the worst of the American Christian fundies is not too much to ask. Please.
    Neither of those extremes are free. One is a minority of a culture offering many possibilities of other ways with little notice or attention (not a single one of my three sisters, my wife, or my wife's three sisters, fits your description - and they get along in the culture here smoothly and normally) The other is the overwhelming majority of cultures that punish deviations severely.
    By the criteria of free people, accountable to reason.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

then you're in the wrong place, here we discuss things we don't read please.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

:roflmao:
    TEN thumbs waay up

i'v got no idea how the FUDGE you get away with it?

that's because you're judging them from your cultural viewpoint.
    we see your culture very abusive and lowly with women too.

now, it isn't necessary that one of them is wrong, they could be both working social machines..
    ..but don't expect a cog from one machine to be interchangable with a cog from the other.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

what did i do to get banned? for saying ~String ?
    i think anyone can say hehehehe and ~String :] lol

8. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

well, i know some people ..

9. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

SAM, of all people, I love your repackaging and remarketing of Conservative Christian/Islam history as something empowering to women the most. When you start talking about the "life of Mohammad" well, you're venturing into Harry Potter territory there, but, that's OK.

While it's nice to think that Amaterasu, the powerful sun goddess of Japan, founded Japanese society; but to think that Japanese weren't profoundly patriarchal does a disservice to real History. One could blame it on Confucianism, but, at the end of the day it became Japanese culture. At some point we should put down the Harry Potter and have a good long look at society and women's place in it. Islamic societies are probably the worse in the world regarding female equality. Everything from brainf*cking them into wearing full body suits in 100 degree hear (even at the gods damn beach - who else subjects people to THAT level of superstition) to polygamy to legally treating women less than men etc... etc... etc...

Notice that Tunisia smartly banned polygamy. Ever wonder WHY they did that SAM? Think it could be related to why they are much more progressive on the female equality front when compared with other Islamic nations.

It really makes one wonder: Is banning polygamy Islamic?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  10. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

answering to that, i say yes, because many people who get married with 2 women, they can't be ecaul to both of them, while in islam, it said, you can only get maried, with 2 women, or more, inless you can be extremly ecaul to both of them, means, you can't love one more than the other, if you gave a gift to a wife, you must give other one just like it in the value, to the other wife, and you shouldn't tell any of them, that you gave a gift to the other, anyway, since most men can't do that, then, don't do it, you can see some men;, where there's polygamy, you can find a man, married to a wife, when that wife become older, he get married again to a younger one, and, care more with the younger one, that's not ecaulity, and that's not right, and that's not what islam says, so, do you think he should get married to 2? well, 1 is ennuf.
    so yes it is islamic to bann polygamy, if it was good to bann it, here in tunisia, many man can't even handle a one wife, how would they handle two?? tunisia is the first on the arab nation, and the 4th on the global nation, on the devorcing rate, and that's not something im proud of.

and, you still didnt answer my questions, hehehehe, i didnt forget it, how do you mean, by saying, it is hard for them living here? and things are hard here?...

11. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

did i ever mention that shadow is the bestest best member on sciforums?

-------
    banning polygamy is not islamic. it is anti-islamic.
    "و انكحوا ما طاب لكم من النساء مثنى و ثلاث و رباع, فان خفتم الا تعدلوا فواحدة"

gender equality is not fair. for the genders are not equal, biologically to boot.
    calling for gender equality reflects an empty skull in my books.

and since michael is a master of misunderstanding, i don't mean they shouldn't be equal in having rights.

12. Gypsi Registered Senior Member

You mention "culture" here a lot of times. Isn't that the root of much of the misunderstanding about Islam - failing to distinguish between elements which are cultural and those which are religious? I've travelled to and lived in several Muslim countries/areas, and the differences - the diversity - are extensive.

13. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

yet, banning it solves many problems, and some times, polygamy is a solution to save a country, as for egypte, they have alot more women than men, so if everyone get married to one, many women will stay non married, so, they allow polygamy, also, baning it, is not anti-islamic, islam is not only about polygamy, well, we'll discuss more about it tomorrow, فان خفتم الا تعدلوا فواحدة
    did you forgot that the prophet mohamed (pbuh), was extremly ecaul to he's wifes? also, if you can't be ecaul to them, don't get married to more than one, it's not also fair, to love a wife, more than the other, anyway,we'll discussabout it tomorrow, got to sleep now

14. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Oh, I didn't mean to suggest that it's relatively hard being a woman living in Tunisia. I just wanted to stress that those hard won right for women are constantly under attack by people like Scifes and thus women and progressive men must be ever vigilant in protecting them - least they be lost.

15. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

This is the reason why many Islamic nations have the worst record on female equality. Trying to be Islamic and progress into the modern world with the rest of humanity, the West but also the East, is like swimming in a snowsuit. Christianity would be bad enough, but Orthodoxy Conservative Christianity/Islam - that must be Hell.

Ever notice that Conservative Jews, Muslims, Mormons and Christians tend to agree with one another when it comes to treating women with legal and social inequity?

HEY LQQK everybody, we finally found some common ground between the mono-faiths. Their inability to recognize the equality of the female gender.

16. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

List of countries by sex ratio

The human sex ratio is the number of males for each female in a population.

Afghanistan = 1.01
    Bahrain = 1.24
    Iran = 1.02
    Iraq = 1.02
    Jordan = 1.1
    Oman = 1.22
    Pakistan = 1.04
    Tunisia = 1.01
    Turkey = 1.02
    Saudi Arabia = 1.18
    Yemen = 1.03

ALL of these countries have MORE MEN than women. Yet, many are polygamous for MEN. But, why not for women? As it stands, if women are not allowed to take an extra husband then either men will have to be alone or homosexual. Each man that takes an extra wife will force yet another man to live alone.

This is the way it has always been, the only reason "God" wanted men to have multiple wives is because men want to have sex with multiple women. Which is fine, but if that's the case, then the same laws should apply for women. But they don't do they? No. Because men are hypocritical ass wipes.

17. iceaura Valued Senior Member

My personal "culture" - a sort of a subculture of a peculiar kind - answers to reason. You can make valid criticisms of my subculture and Western culture overall from any cultural viewpoint, if you can make them by evidence and argument. The Dalai Lama has done that, for example. There is a sort of mini industry of criticisms of Western culture by outsiders of various kinds, from Red speakers to Zen monks, and it is widely read and respected.

Yours, as exemplified by you and the other fundie Muslims here, doesn't. And it values reason, I know, because its reps here object most strenuously to the conclusions drawn from reason and evidence (questioning of motives, etc and such), and they attempt to use it in criticism of their own.

So your cultural viewpoint does not answer to its own valued approach, or meet its own standards. And since your judgments of Western culture are not made by the reason you value, are even frequently based on simple errors of logic and observation, I don't credit them. It's not a matter of equivalent cultures bumping heads - yours is inferior in this respect. It doesn't answer to its own judgments.

Look at Shadow's claims for Tunisia, here, for example. Or Sam's comparison of fashion foolishness or even cripplings with the universal oppression of the burka or hijab.
    Since without such traveling to a place I can't know that stuff, for my posts here I take the word of the Muslims who live or lived there, compared with what physical facts seem well established.

Example: Most Egyptian women have been genitally mutilated, everyone agrees. In my town FGM is defended - by its practitioners, from Somalia and places near Egypt - on religious grounds, as motivated and justified by their Muslim faith. So in my town FGM is an aspect of Islam - I have that on the best of authorities, the local believers and faithful themselves. In the opinion of other Muslims it is cultural - but sectarian squabbles are familiar to us all, surely.

18. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

damn you VI!!

Democracy!!

Capitalism!!

Equality!!

19. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities,"
    - Voltaire (1765)

20. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Training another human to hide underneath a Burka in sweltering heat fearing God and man alike - is IMO, in this day and age, an atrocity. Teaching men to think women are less, and do not deserve legal equality, is an atrocity. I'm not saying Islam is the only ideology to outright promote, and or implicitly condone, such thinking. It does seem to be one of the last left. Not something to be proud of.

21. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

no, if it was first based on understanding, and logic rather than beleiving everything you see and being told, and being moderate, and not more than it actually is, it wan't be like hell, is it like hell in here?

22. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

ook, you need a long discussion ,and i'm not expecting you to actually discuss in it, or even to worth to biscuss about it,

well, whatever, i got what you mean anyway.

23. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

whaat?? i'm not claiming anything...oh, i see, then you're another hypocryte too.
    ok you're right, i was claiming, we tunisians, eat children, and kill women, and, eat brains, and, uuh,idk, you finish it with your self...