Racism and dating

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by grazzhoppa, Nov 13, 2002.

1. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

airdog, you need to get out of your house and see the outside world a bit more.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Zero Banned Banned

airdog...lay off the crack here...or grow up...or both...anything...please...*hack* *cough* *gasp*...

There is no god, afterlife or divine love. There is only Entropy, the mother from which we were all born. She tugs our souls with the beautiful, maternal love of chaos. Why do you keep Her waiting?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. OldSchoolThinker Registered Senior Member

It depends on your viewpoint.

For example...

If you refuse to date someone because of their skin color, that discrimination.

If you refuse to date someone because you dont like people who have that skin color, thats racism.

not dating people with a certain skin color can be a preference to a certain degree if it isnt because of prejudice or stereotypes like someone else said earlier.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

let's imagine that I'm labeled as a racist by any definition. and what? I mean- why should I have problem with that? Why should I care if I'm labeled a racist -

Last edited: Dec 4, 2002
  8. Xev Registered Senior Member

I hate everyone regardless of skin colour, creed, sexual orientation, gender, or nationality.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I dislike everyone regardless of skin colour, creed, sexual orientation, gender, or nationality.

hate is a bit too strong word for all imo

I hate all the stupid ones regardless of skin colour, creed, sexual orientation, gender, or nationality.

10. Xev Registered Senior Member

Indifference tinged with disgust best describes my sentiments best, but I was really ripping off that Type O Negative song when I wrote my post.

11. Maia Crimson Spirit Registered Senior Member

Hate all indiscriminately? :bugeye: you're all messed up.

Why would you hate people who haven't done anything to you? Or, for that matter, people who don't even know you exist, and vice versa?

12. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Maia ...

Naw, Xev ain't messed up ... She's just ecumenical.

Welcome to Sciforums, I guess

13. Xev Registered Senior Member

Maia:

As I said, it's more like indifference and disgust tinged with pity.

It would be really nice of you to read my posts before making judgements about them.

Chagur:

Thank you kindly.

14. Squid Vicious Banned Banned

Avatar is probably quite correct in his assertion that the proper word would be "dislike" rather than hate. My hatred is reserved for those who earn it, and most don't. Most aren't smart enough to incite anything but pity, regardless of their ideals or assertions. Those very same ideals or assertions have in most instances been taken on board second hand, from people who have the capacity of original thought, and aren't overly worthy of any consideration at all, let alone extreme emotion.

As for those who don't know I exist, are they any less deserving of dislike? I'm quite certain Hussain doesn't know I exist, and yet I feel extreme dislike for the guy. And before you political fence sitters or wannabe extremists saddle up for a war, I don't have an awful lot of time for Dubya either. Fuck 'em both. that's my opinion, ascertained from what I've seen both from reported sources and from observation of events, and it ain't gonna change until one or both decides to convince me otherwise.

Lastly, we have those who I don't know exist. Well, here is the difficult one. I'm fairly certain you've thrown it in because it sounds better written in a post (oooh, don't we all like to say "and vice versa"... sounds so cool and knowledgeable and so.... considerate), but quite simply if I don't know them then what are they to me? Squat, Nada, Nought, Nothing. Let them convince me they're worthy of my acknowledging them and I might do so. Until then, they mean zip to me. How can they possibly mean anything else, except as a theoretical quantity?

15. Slacker47 Paint it Black Registered Senior Member

Its a preference just like men who like shorter women. These men do not dislike women who are taller than they are, its just a matter of preference.

I have many black male and female friends. Though, i like white women better.

It is only rascism if you are AGAINST dating a member of a different race.

For those who think that any form of discrimination in dating is wrong... if i told you to go on a date with a member of the same sex, would you? It's just a matter of preference.

16. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

do you even have to ask?

17. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

What bullshit and bigotry to say "My preference is not dating anyone that is black."

To say you would never date a race is racism not preference. I am not saying you are satan spawn but that is racism by definition.

Have some balls and own up to it like avatar.

IMO, everyone should be judged and evaluated on an individual to individual basis. To stereotype so many people by whatever relatively little interaction you have had is asinine.

18. The_King Destroy the jews. Registered Senior Member

19. Exactly the thought which sprung into my mind.

20. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"To say you would never date a race is racism not preference. I am not saying you are satan spawn but that is racism by definition."

Ah, but to hypothetically say that I prefer the common looks (that is, physical attributes) of a white/asian/latin girl over a black/eastern european...?

I personally see nothing wrong with saying that.

And whether some of us like to admitt it or not, specifically in North America people do often act in accordance with a cultural norm. I live in a rather wealthy, white area of Toronto and the few blacks that go to my school are much louder, ruder, confident and stick together much more than the white girls at the school. They follow very rigidly the stereotypes. To say that I prefer the stereotypical, say, asian attitude to this is nothing but noting a preference. The problem is if one says that they prefer all asians to all blacks, without actually getting to know a person.

21. Balder1 Registered Senior Member

It's pretty clear that saying you will never date a black woman is racist. You can't say they just aren't your type, either. I'm pretty sure that any genuine man can be aroused by a woman of any race. There's something wrong with you if you can't.

I'd also say that preferring white women over black women is racist, too. It's discrimination based on race. I prefer white women, and therefore I am a little racist.

22. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

Nothing wrong with having a preference. But to say you would never date anyone that is black or white or whatever is racist. There is a difference.

The king,
    You are way off track. Where do I apply that racism is inherently evil?

I hope you are joking.

What is your point? I do judge people with down's syndrone on an individual basis.

Rascist is a stereotype? No, it is a definition of observed behavior. Nothing is static? Yet you scoff at the idea of judging people people on a individual basis? It seems you need to take a look in the mirror and figure some things out. Ok, I will go play with my 'LEGO' now...