Quoting in Chicago Style

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by Thoreau, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

Okay, guys. Long time, no see. But I need your help. I'm in college (finishing my undergrad in History) and am currently writing a short essay. I'm used to Chicago Style (the style common for historical writing) and I know how to quote in text as well as block text. What I don't know, and what I can't seem to find out online, is the formatting rules for starting an essay with a quote. No intro to the quote...just the quote itself. I know it has to follow different rules than your standard block quote and your standard in-text quote, because MLA has different rules for the same thing as well. For example....

So, that's the format I'm looking to structure the essay in. But the formatting of that first part--the quote--is what I'm unsure about. Does it need to be italicized? Does it need quotation marks (block quotes usually don't)? Does it need an attribution at the end? What indentation does it need?

I hope what I'm asking is clear. Thanks for your help!!!

(PS. Yes, I know that starting a literary work with a quote is generally in bad taste. Just bear with me on this one.)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. iceaura Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.