Quotes to remember

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by wegs, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

It's estimated there are more stars in the Universe than grains of sand on Earth, but there are more atoms in a grain of sand than stars in the Universe.

Anon

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“I've often noticed that when coincidences start happening they go on happening in the most extraordinary way. I dare say it's some natural law that we haven't found out.”
    ― Agatha Christie, The Secret Adversary

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." -- Frank Zappa

Michael 345 likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Scarry thought.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“Watch carefully
    the magic that occurs
    when you give a person
    enough comfort
    to just be themselves.”
    ― Atticus Poetry, Love Her Wild

9. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

"If you don't trust gold, do you trust the logic of taking a beautiful pine tree, worth about $4,000 – $5,000, cutting it up, turning it into pulp and then paper, putting some ink on it and then calling it one billion dollars?" -- Kenneth J. Gerbino

Michael 345 likes this.
  10. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

"The leading student of business propaganda, Australian social scientist Alex Carey, argues persuasively that "the 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: the growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy." -- Noam Chomsky

sculptor likes this.
  11. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Write4U and sculptor like this.
  12. sculptor Valued Senior Member

13. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

"By the later years of the Reagan regime, a preferred nomenclature suited to U.S. interests became standardized for the Third World. In the case of nations to be rolled back (e.g., Nicaragua), governments were called terrorist and the insurgents were labeled democratic. In the case of countries to be supported against "communist"insurgencies (e.g., El Salvador and the Philippines), the governments were called democratic and the insurgents were labeled terrorists." -- from the book Rollback by Thomas Bodenheimer and Robert Gould

14. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces." -- Dr Carl Sagan

Write4U likes this.
  15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

"The idea that God is an oversized white male with a flowing beard who sits in the sky and tallies the fall of every sparrow is ludicrous. But if by God one means the set of physical laws that govern the universe, then clearly there is such a God. This God is emotionally unsatisfying... it does not make much sense to pray to the law of gravity".
    CARL SAGAN: As quoted in "Scientists & Their Gods" in U.S. News & World Report Vol. 111 (1991)

16. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

"I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking.
    The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides".
    CARL SAGAN:

17. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

"Those who raise questions about the God hypothesis and the soul hypothesis are by no means all atheists. An atheist is someone who is certain that God does not exist, someone who has compelling evidence against the existence of God. I know of no such compelling evidence. Because God can be relegated to remote times and places and to ultimate causes, we would have to know a great deal more about the universe than we do to be sure that no such God exists. To be certain of the existence of God and to be certain of the nonexistence of God seem to me to be the confident extremes in a subject so riddled with doubt and uncertainty as to inspire very little confidence indeed"
    .Conversations with Carl Sagan (2006), edited by Tom Head, p. 70

18. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

-from the ^^ above Quote ^^ : " Because God can be relegated to remote times and places and to ultimate causes, we would have to know a great deal more about the universe than we do to be sure that no such God exists. "

19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

20. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

21. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

22. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

23. paddoboy Valued Senior Member