Quotes to remember

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by wegs, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Please don't quote me on what you are about to say...me
    Alex

Write4U likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“The Cosmos is all that is or was or ever will be. Our feeblest contemplations of the Cosmos stir us -- there is a tingling in the spine, a catch in the voice, a faint sensation, as if a distant memory, of falling from a height. We know we are approaching the greatest of mysteries.”
    ― Carl Sagan, Cosmos

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

paddoboy and Write4U like this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“Letting go is the lesson. Letting go is always the lesson. Have you ever noticed how much of our agony is all tied up with craving and loss?”
    ― Susan Gordon Lydon, The Knitting Sutra: Craft as a Spiritual Practice

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Write4U Valued Senior Member

"We weep for that which was once our delight." Kahlil Gibran.

8. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

"The cage is open but the beast is asleep"if you forget to zip up.

9. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election." -- Otto von Bismarck

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“On nights like this when the air is so clear, you end up saying things you ordinarily wouldn’t. Without even noticing what you’re doing, you open up your heart and just start talking to the person next to you—you talk as if you have no audience but the glittering stars, far overhead.”
    ― Banana Yoshimoto, Goodbye Tsugumi

Write4U likes this.
  11. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

“Don't you believe in flying saucers, they ask me? Don't you believe in telepathy? — in ancient astronauts? — in the Bermuda triangle? — in life after death?
    No, I reply. No, no, no, no, and again no.
    One person recently, goaded into desperation by the litany of unrelieved negation, burst out "Don't you believe in anything?"
    Yes", I said. "I believe in evidence. I believe in observation, measurement, and reasoning, confirmed by independent observers. I'll believe anything, no matter how wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it. The wilder and more ridiculous something is, however, the firmer and more solid the evidence will have to be.”

― Isaac Asimov

12. river

Isaac Asimov would be astonished of the evidence we do have of UFO's .

13. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Not at all, he understands what the U in UFO stands for..... Unidentified

14. river

Existence

The Unidentified Existence of something .

15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

“Occasionally, I get a letter from someone who is in “contact” with extraterrestrials. I am invited to “ask them anything.” And so over the years I’ve prepared a little list of questions. The extraterrestrials are very advanced, remember. So I ask things like, “Please provide a short proof of Fermat’s Last Theorem.” Or the Goldbach Conjecture. And then I have to explain what these are, because extraterrestrials will not call it Fermat’s Last Theorem. So I write out the simple equation with the exponents. I never get an answer. On the other hand, if I ask something like “Should we be good?” I almost always get an answer.”
    Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark:

16. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

“If you cross an onion with a UFO, what you get is a flying saucer that brings tears to your eyes.”
    ― Terence McKenna

17. river

What was the answer(s) .

18. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

The energy requirements for interstellar travel are so great that it is inconceivable to me that any creatures piloting their ships across the vast depths of space would do so only in order to play games with us over a period of decades. If they want to make contact, they would make contact; if not, they would save their energy and go elsewhere.

ISAAC ASIMOV, Is Anyone There?

19. river

What are these energy requirements based on ? ; Chemical no doubt .

20. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I have to argue about flying saucers on the beach with people, you know. And I was interested in this: they keep arguing that it is possible. And that's true. It is possible. They do not appreciate that the problem is not to demonstrate whether it's possible or not but whether it's going on or not.

RICHARD FEYNMAN, The Meaning of It All

21. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

How would it be if we discovered that aliens only stopped by earth to let their kids take a leak?

JAY LENO,

Michael 345 likes this.
  22. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Before he died, as a parting shot to ufologists and UFO buffs, renowned debunker Philip J. Klass cast "the UFO Curse" upon all those who believe UFOs are real. It reads: "To ufologists who publicly criticize me ... or who even think unkind thoughts about me in private, I do hereby leave and bequeath: THE UFO CURSE: No matter how long you live, you will never know any more about UFOs than you know today. You will never know any more about what UFOs really are, or where they come from. You will never know any more about what the U.S. Government really knows about UFOs than you know today. As you lie on your own death-bed you will be as mystified about UFOs as you are today. And you will remember this curse. Signed, Philip J. Klass."

CHRIS A. RUTKOWSKI,

Michael 345 likes this.
  23. river

Its going on .