Quotes to remember

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by wegs, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

"For many years, I have been moved by the blue at the far edge of what can be seen, that color of horizons, of remote mountain ranges, of anything far away. The color of that distance is the color of an emotion, the color of solitude and of desire, the color of there seen from here, the color of where you are not. And the color of where you can never go.”
    ― Rebecca Solnit, A Field Guide to Getting Lost

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

wegs likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“This place is a dream. Only a sleeper considers it real. Then death comes like dawn, and you wake up laughing at what you thought was your grief.”
    ― Rumi

Last edited: Feb 20, 2023
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“Imagine for a moment that we are nothing but the product of billions of years of molecules coming together and ratcheting up through natural selection, that we are composed only of highways of fluids and chemicals sliding along roadways within billions of dancing cells, that trillions of synaptic conversations hum in parallel, that this vast egglike fabric of micron-thin circuitry runs algorithms undreamt of in modern science, and that these neural programs give rise to our decision making, loves, desires, fears, and aspirations. To me, that understanding would be a numinous experience, better than anything ever proposed in anyone's holy text.”
    ― David Eagleman, Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“The only calibration that counts is how much heart people invest, how much they ignore their fears of being hurt or caught out or humiliated. And the only thing people regret is that they didn't live boldly enough, that they didn't invest enough heart, didn't love enough. Nothing else really counts at all.”
    ― Ted Hughes, Letters of Ted Hughes

8. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

"Morality binds and blinds. It binds us into ideological teams that fight each other as though the fate of the world depended on our side winning each battle. It blinds us to the fact that each team is composed of good people who have something important to say." ~Jonathan Haidt
    (Book: The Righteous Mind https://amzn.to/3Z4I7SM)

9. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“Getting lost was not a matter of geography so much as identity, a passionate desire, even an urgent need, to become no one and anyone, to shake off the shackles that remind you who you are, who others think you are.”
    ― Rebecca Solnit, A Field Guide to Getting Lost

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
    wegs likes this.
  10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

wegs likes this.
  11. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Getting lost is an artform refined thru years of practice..

12. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“Shakespeare is so much larger than any other poet, any other writer. Larger than Plato, infinitely larger than Freud. You’d have to take the whole of the Bible together to get any representation of consciousness as wide as Shakespeare’s.”
    — Harold Bloom

13. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Magical Realist likes this.
  14. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“Barring love I'll take my life in large doses alone--rivers, forests, fish, grouse, mountains. Dogs.”
    ― Jim Harrison, Wolf False Memoir

wegs likes this.
  15. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“It was like hiking into a Hemingway story; everything was sepia-toned and bristling with subtext.”
    ― Leslie What, Crazy Love

16. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Me too, Jim Harrison!!

17. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

"When my mother could no longer save me, movies stepped in and did it. The great god for me as a child was movies. That beautiful light beaming from the projection booth was the sign that I would be saved, for as long as I could sit in the dark."--Marlon Brando The Lake of the Mind: Brando in the Night

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
  18. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

"You have to begin to lose your memory, if only in bits and pieces, to realize that memory is what makes our lives. Life without memory is no life at all... Our memory is our coherence, our reason, our feeling, even our action. Without it we are nothing."--Luis Buñuel

19. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“We cast a shadow on something wherever we stand, and it is no good moving from place to place to save things; because the shadow always follows. Choose a place where you won't do harm - yes, choose a place where you won't do very much harm, and stand in it for all you are worth, facing the sunshine.”
    ― E.M. Forster, A Room with a View

20. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.”
    ― Max Planck

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
  21. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“Death is not extinguishing the light; it is only putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.”
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

22. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

23. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

That one's ironic, coming from you, MR.