Quotes to remember

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by wegs, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“Sometimes, it is necessary to quiet the mind in order to be able to hear. How can we tune into what is going on outside of ourselves, if it is drowned out by what is going on inside of ourselves? Find your stillness, find your calm, and listen. Allow the universe to speak to you.”
    ― Akiroq Brost

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

wegs likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

''A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.'' - Oscar Wilde

Magical Realist likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“The best way to capture moments is to pay attention. This is how we cultivate mindfulness. Mindfulness means being awake. It means knowing what you are doing.”
    ― Jon Kabat-Zinn, Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

"Every time you go out there, you want to be a little nervous, have a little bit of butterflies in your stomach and get the juices flowing."---Taryne Mowatt

wegs likes this.
  8. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“That’s what I do: I make coffee and occasionally succumb to suicidal nihilism. But you shouldn’t worry — poetry is still first. Cigarettes and alcohol follow”
    ― Anne Sexton

9. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

"The juvenile sea squirt wanders through the sea searching for a suitable rock or hunk of coral to cling to and make its home for life. For this task, it has a rudimentary nervous system. When it finds its spot and takes root, it doesn't need its brain anymore so it eats it!"
    Daniel Dennett

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“If losing Sam had taught me anything, it was to seize life----seize everything it had to offer, including the tears, the anger and loss, but most of all, the laughter and the love.
    To just seize life. Because it was fleeting and it was fickle, and no one, not me or anyone I knew, had another day, let alone another second promised to them.”
    ― Jennifer L. Armentrout, Every Last Breath

11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Magical Realist likes this.
  12. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“Consider the fact that you are now experiencing death, in a curious way. Not being in Paris right now, you know what it is like to be dead in Paris. No lights, no sounds -- nothing. The same goes for Timbuctu. In fact, you are dead everywhere -- except for one small spot. Just think how close you are to being dead everywhere!”
    ― Douglas R. Hofstadter, The Mind’s I: Fantasies and Reflections on Self and Soul

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  13. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“Eschew the ordinary, disdain the commonplace. If you have a single-minded need for something, let it be the unusual, the esoteric, the bizarre, the unexpected.”
    ― Chuck Jones

14. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

"Let me live in a house
    by the side of the road,
    Where the race of men go by-
    The men who are good and the men who are bad,
    As good and as bad as I.
    I would not sit in the scorner’s seat,
    Or hurl the cynic’s ban;-
    Let me live in a house by the side of the road
    And be a friend to man."---Sam Walter Foss

15. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influence of the earth.”
    ― Henry David Thoreau, Walden

16. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“When asked about which scientist he'd like to meet, Neil deGrasse Tyson said, "Isaac Newton. No question about it. The smartest person ever to walk the face of this earth. The man was connected to the universe in spooky ways. He discovered the laws of motion, the laws of gravity, the laws of optics. Then he turned 26.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

17. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

Well he was in a tragedy. Lucky only his barn turned over.

I’m a pot sandwitch

18. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“No beating yourself up. That’s not allowed. Be patient with yourself. It took you years to form the bad habits of thought that you no longer want. It will take a little time to form new and better ones. But I promise you this: Even a slight move in this direction will bring you some peace. The more effort you apply to it, the faster you’ll find your bliss, but you’ll experience rewards immediately.”
    ― Holly Mosier

19. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“If the day and the night are such that you greet them with joy, and life emits a fragrance like flowers and sweet-scented herbs, is more elastic, more starry, more immortal- that is your success.---Thoreau

20. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

"Far more people than you will ever realize are on the verge of breaking, asking tough questions of themselves, fearful of the future. Walk gently and listen."--Tennessee Williams

21. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“Being soaked alone is cold. Being soaked with your best friend is an adventure.”
    ― Emily Wing Smith, Back When You Were Easier to Love

22. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“Conversation. What is it? A Mystery! It's the art of never seeming bored, of touching everything with interest, of pleasing with trifles, of being fascinating with nothing at all.”
    ― Guy de Maupassant

23. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

"There is so much inherent goodness in people that if they aren’t inhibited by traumas and are given half a chance, it shines through."--Leonard Bernstein