Quote or Insult?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Gustav, Oct 28, 2011.

?

Quote or Insult?

1. Quote

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. Insult

16 vote(s)
    69.6%
  1. Emil Valued Senior Member

Gustav, this quote:
    was also an insult?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gustav Banned Banned

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Aimed at whom?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

the poster named nobody

that was read
    i chuckled and understood the hidden context
    yet barring a confession from read, i have to give him the benefit of the doubt since this understanding is based on nothing but conjecture.

it is how civilized peoples have to conduct themselves. the rule of law that assumes innocence until proven guilty

in the illustrated cases, it is logically impossible to prove guilt because all you have is circumstantial shit

sci should aim higher

8. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

"Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance."

- Unknown

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Aiming Higher

This is where it come back to the community.

Should I punish Nobody for starting a lame thread?

Or maybe, in other threads, I might punish other people for making lame contributions. You know, like in A&C, when people were asked to go beyond simply listing a song or album title, and actually spend a few words explaining why they liked it? That sort of thing is asking too much of a good number of people.

Should we simply purge those folks?

And, of course, that sounds like something of a severe leap, but I'm trying to find a baseline.

Your turn: How should Sciforums aim higher? Is this the sole responsibility of the staff? What do you expect of the membership?

10. Emil Valued Senior Member

I only now can vote.

p.s. I appreciate how it was done.

11. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Good point!

12. Gustav Banned Banned

you are raising the goalposts, fella
    the demand should be considered within context
    it was a specific instance

13. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The problem with having standards

Well, in the context of the specific instance, I would suggest that you ought to aim higher. Quote, sure. Timing and placement? Yeah, I can see how some might interpret that as a direct insult. However, more than all that, it was a really low-effort post, and the kind of joke than any tinwit can execute.

Had you aimed higher, you would not have left yourself exposed to the headhunters you have reasonable cause to believe are out there.

I know, though. I'm sympathetic. Having standards in our lives only invites sixteen valences of headache.

14. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

are you saying its OK to insult as long as there is a good excuse?
    it doesn't take intelligence to insult..

so:
    Sciforums is supposed to be about intelligence..
    both the membership AND the moderators should make efforts to discourage blatant insults, (and some of the not so blatant ones) as Insulting another is the farthest thing from intelligence one can get.

15. Pineal Banned Banned

This is true. I think posts that seem insulting should first be considered posts that were intended to be part of another thread such as one titled 'Good Comebacks when one is treated offensively by a Boor'. Once the mods have gone through Cesspool, Free Thoughts and other potential homes for such a thread - and this possibility is eliminated - the next task is to determine if the potential offending post was meant more as a kind of active listening Rogerian support for the OP or the previous post. A kind of 'oh, they had this kind of attitude.'

I know once I was in another forum and someone posted after one of my posts

But after some investigation by the mods and myself, we saw that we had posted simultaneously and the in fact not offensive posts was an answer to a previous post that had a parenthetical request for some songs written by a specific punk rock band. (Signal, note the use of the comma in the title. Even punks can be rigorous.)

I think the primary reason that Gustav's post should not lead to punishment is the possibility that someone hacked their way into his account and yet honorably attributed a quote to Gustav rather than simply making it seem like Gustav went against forum rules (as would have been easy to do simply by leaving the quotation marks out).

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."
    -Jean Chretien

16. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

An insult and a productive critique are two different things.

Almost always mutually exclusive, as once you insult, dialogue ends and the p*ssing match starts.

17. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Prooove it!

18. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Oh fuck anyway . For Gods sake you dressed up as Satan and went to church event . What are you talking about ? Discourage what ? Ban Alphanumeric the master Mod insulter of the century ? It don't work that way and Alphalfa puts a lot of brain power into his assault-ability . It takes Intelligence and to disguise it word play well you figure that out Satan

19. Gustav Banned Banned

/snort

preying on the witless?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

oh for fuck sakes
    pick up on the obvious clues and just consider the contents of the post as a quote

pardon me but i was under duress when i confessed

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

What is this I don't even... ya know what, here's an image that best explains my thoughts while reading this thread:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. Gustav Banned Banned

sci has always been somewhat contemptuous of my disdain for orthographic convention.
    turns out that they too have no compunction in flouting the rules
    what hypocrites

/smile

22. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

I saw you use Grand Poohba phrase. I have not used it for a long time .
    Whooch !!! You know what that is ?

23. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

How about a simple new rule: be respectful, or get a boot up yer arse?